Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-26-2010, 11:27 PM   #1
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
rear differential blowing up

I heard a story today about the rear differential blowing up when hitting the gas too hard or shifting hard. A co worker was talking to me about his friends SS rear end blowing up and parts of the differential going through the car. I find it hard to belive and thought to see if this is true or not or if anyone else had this problem, this to me would be a recall issue. Not sure if I explained it right or if I have all the details of really what happen to his friends SS, he he did tell me he was driving it hard when a challanger approched him and wanted to race. Thanks.
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:45 PM   #2
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
so why don't ask a Chevy dealer if there has been a problem like the one you described. None here.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
williej420

Drives: 2011 camaro RS LT2
this is totally possable i just blew my rear diff after steping on the gas normaly its not like ive baby'd the thing its got 27000 km's on it and yeah i heard something snap n go boom n started pouring oil out i found a piece of the housing , brought it in yesterday and they called me today saying they going to assess weather they are going to cover it under the warrenty or not im gonna trip balls n get a lawyer if they try n say no coverage cause apparently its 5 grand for a new rear diff which is bull shit cause they claim a 5 year 160000kms powertrain warrenty
williej420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
so why don't ask a Chevy dealer if there has been a problem like the one you described. None here.
Dealers are idiots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINE1991 View Post
I heard a story today about the rear differential blowing up when hitting the gas too hard or shifting hard. A co worker was talking to me about his friends SS rear end blowing up and parts of the differential going through the car. I find it hard to belive and thought to see if this is true or not or if anyone else had this problem, this to me would be a recall issue. Not sure if I explained it right or if I have all the details of really what happen to his friends SS, he he did tell me he was driving it hard when a challanger approched him and wanted to race. Thanks.
I have seen diffs go boom and parts almost bust out of the rear cover some even had pieces bust out, so it is possible. But no way they will blow through the case and bust into the car. I call BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by williej420 View Post
this is totally possable i just blew my rear diff after steping on the gas normaly its not like ive baby'd the thing its got 27000 km's on it and yeah i heard something snap n go boom n started pouring oil out i found a piece of the housing , brought it in yesterday and they called me today saying they going to assess weather they are going to cover it under the warrenty or not im gonna trip balls n get a lawyer if they try n say no coverage cause apparently its 5 grand for a new rear diff which is bull shit cause they claim a 5 year 160000kms powertrain warrenty
I blew up my diff also, but I had lots of mods so I fixed it myself. If you have no mods the dealership should cover it.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
RPM Transmissions

Drives: 2010 SS
In all our experience with 5th gen camaro differential, we have yet to see one blow up that violently to shoot pieces into the car. Now this is not to say that is isn't possible. But we have yet to see one. One way to prevent this from happening is to avoid wheel hope like it is the plague. Wheel hope is the NUMBER 1 killer of 5th gen differentials.

I wouldn't stress too much about the differential exploding. A lot of people make up some pretty wild stories about IRS diffs because they think they fall apart when you look at them with more than 300hp lol.
RPM Transmissions is offline   Reply With Quote