Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 07-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #43
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcard View Post
Negative. The last two are in the exact same class (GS) as the Mitchum cars and are therefore built to the same spec.
Well there is my one thing learned for the day.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #44
Jatterbu

Drives: GRAND-AM GS.R Camaro's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
Great info thanks.

1. So that gold foil reflects heat well, can it be purchased?

2. How does the cool shirt setup work? Does the driver also get cooler air ducted to the helmet? We run a low 7 second LS drag radial car and the driver gets might hot all suited up in the summer waiting to make a pass.
Yes the gold foil is installed to reflect heat away from it. Yes it can be purchased, just send me a PM and we can get you squared away. For driver cooling, the cool shirt setup would work great for what you are describing. You probably don't need a helmet blower but yes you can get one from the same company. Usually when I am sitting on pre-grid for an extended period of time, I flip on the cool shirt for about 20-30 seconds and it flows through the shirt and I get too cold so I turn it off for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Joey,

It looks to me like those are the stock rear calipers?

and I noticed most of the suspension components, are stock? lower control arms etc...

Is there a reason you are running the shorter swaybar position instead of the extended bar that comes in the 2013 camaros.

I'm in no way second guessing you guys I'm just wanting to ask the experts

Thanks for sharing the build!
Yes we run a stock rear caliper per the rules we are allowed in the class. The caliper is spaced out further than stock to allow a larger diameter rotor for better heat dissipation and increased brake torque. We have never once had a problem with the brakes on the Camaro and they are our strongest part of the car compared to our competition.

We run a bladed-adjustable sway bar for ease of tuning on the car to make sure setup is good as quickly as possible. This means that we have 5 positions of adjustment per static blade position, and we can adjust the blade to 4 different static positions. This gives us a great range of adjustment without physically having to change the sway bar underneath the car for a different unit. We are not allowed to adjust them inside as driver controls so the adjustments are simply in the trunk and under the hood for the crew members to make adjustments on the fly while in the pits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Do the rules allow the motor to be moved toward the rear?
The rules do not permit this. It would certainly be nice to do though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber84 View Post
Where did you get the front brake cooling duct kit? Or, are they custom made?
The brake cooling kits are custom made pieces. We use a double inlet carbon piece in the front bumper that leads to two different hoses going to brackets on the spindle for brake cooling. We do have steering rack stops in the car to prevent excessive steering which helps clearance for brake cooling hoses. These kits can be installed on street cars with some modifications to your car. Send me a PM and I can get you some more pictures to give you an idea of how extensive and how much they help the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Ralph View Post
Team Mitchum,

Thanks for the help today at VIR! You are a great bunch of guys. Awesome Camaro too! Good luck at INDY....

Later
Ralph
Ralph, it was great meeting you out at VIR! Stay in touch and hopefully we'll see each other around some events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
I have a question, what is going on with the front top lip of the nose, is it bent up like that intentionally?
It is not bent up intentionally, sometimes when the bumpers are going through the modifications to fit on the car some clips are left out on accident. What you are simply seeing is the clips failing or popping out of position which leads to the open duck-bill, looks pretty funny.

Let me know if you guys have anymore questions!

Joey
Jatterbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #45
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Does the cool shirt have quick releases if you have to get out of the car fast? I'll pm you on the foil.

Wasn't sure if it was already asked, but what do you have to way for the class? Do you start out with a BiW?
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #46
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatterbu View Post
Let me know if you guys have anymore questions!
Joey
I do have a question to you Joey;
The rules says you need to use the OEM Airbox but I notice you removed the intake duct part, can you change the Air filter too? if so , which brand are you using?
Thanks

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:56 AM   #47
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Shop visit

While in the Tidewater area of VA over a long weekend, we stopped by Mitchum's new shop that they are in the process of remodeling. The place is huge. Here are some pics.

The brand new 62 car Joey has been posting info on. Notice the top name on the window. That's right, Jeff Bucknum is back with Mitchum, at least for Indy tomorrow.

Some customer cars they work on in the back section

This is all that's left of 'Angelina'. She's the one that rolled in qualifying at the Glen. She'll likely be sent back to Riley for rebuild.

The prep area for the GS & ST cars.

Thanks to Trevor and Chris for showing us around.
Good luck at Indy, guys

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #48
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
whoo hoo!!! I am very excited for the race tomorrow. Should be some good weather and a lot of great Camaro Support!
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #49
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Love this thread. I'm amazed at how much your crew can do in such a short time. What rims and tires are you using?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #50
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:

Yes we run a stock rear caliper per the rules we are allowed in the class. The caliper is spaced out further than stock to allow a larger diameter rotor for better heat dissipation and increased brake torque. We have never once had a problem with the brakes on the Camaro and they are our strongest part of the car compared to our competition.
Cool, that's really good to know. Is it the same for the front calipers?

Quote:

We run a bladed-adjustable sway bar for ease of tuning on the car to make sure setup is good as quickly as possible. This means that we have 5 positions of adjustment per static blade position, and we can adjust the blade to 4 different static positions. This gives us a great range of adjustment without physically having to change the sway bar underneath the car for a different unit. We are not allowed to adjust them inside as driver controls so the adjustments are simply in the trunk and under the hood for the crew members to make adjustments on the fly while in the pits.

Joey
And that's why you are on a race team and I cheer from the stands.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #51
SparkyDL75
SparkyDL75

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/Grey
Good luck at Indy! So great to see the pics of your shop and cars. I really wish I could make it to the race.
Suspension Pedders Pace Car Pkg w/ZL1 Upgrade; Pedders Upper & Lower Control Arm, Steering, & Differential Mount Bushings; Pedders SS Brake Lines; Pedders Dual Bearing Camber Plates; ZL1 Toe Link; Hawk Performance Ceramic brake pads
Drivetrain Maggie2300(8psi-3.4pulley); CompCam; 85lb injectors; ZL1 fuel pump; ZR1 MAP; Centerforce DYAD Twin Disc clutch; Stainless Works LT headers; QTP Cutouts; Rotofab intake; RX catch can; Mike Norris tune 643rwhp 598 rwtq

SparkyDL75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #52
SparkyDL75
SparkyDL75

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/Grey
Are you guys going to be racing this season? I missed the Daytona race but hope to catch a replay on SPEED. A friend of mine and I are planning to be at the Grand-AM/Porsche 250 at Barber Motorports Park in April. It would be cool to see you guys there.
Suspension Pedders Pace Car Pkg w/ZL1 Upgrade; Pedders Upper & Lower Control Arm, Steering, & Differential Mount Bushings; Pedders SS Brake Lines; Pedders Dual Bearing Camber Plates; ZL1 Toe Link; Hawk Performance Ceramic brake pads
Drivetrain Maggie2300(8psi-3.4pulley); CompCam; 85lb injectors; ZL1 fuel pump; ZR1 MAP; Centerforce DYAD Twin Disc clutch; Stainless Works LT headers; QTP Cutouts; Rotofab intake; RX catch can; Mike Norris tune 643rwhp 598 rwtq

SparkyDL75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #53
Jatterbu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyDL75 View Post
Are you guys going to be racing this season? I missed the Daytona race but hope to catch a replay on SPEED. A friend of mine and I are planning to be at the Grand-AM/Porsche 250 at Barber Motorports Park in April. It would be cool to see you guys there.
The #6 car was in the race at Daytona as the Sunoco Camaro. It will also be at the next race in Texas at COTA for the promoter test days, however there is no plans to race it there or the rest of the season. The team has decided to focus it's effort on the 2-car BMW ST program for a potential championship run in 2013. You still will see the #6 around some racetracks though!

Joey

Last edited by Jatterbu; 02-21-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #54
ZED SLED

Same for the 62? Noticed it wasn't at Daytona.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #55
Jatterbu

The #62 was actually sold during the offseason. Even though it's no longer the #62, it lives on in pro racing and will be touring around this year at racetracks across the country!

Joey
Old 02-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #56
ZED SLED

Glad it found a new home then. When I hit the Mega Millions I'm gonna buy Chris 2 new Camaros and sponsor you guys (Mitchum, that is. not Rousch, LOL).
See you at Watkins Glen in June!