Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > V8 - Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons, Tuning Equipment

Old 07-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
SSGT OF MARINES
LIKE A BOSS

Drives: 2012 45 Anv 2SS
I need help finding the best HIFLOW CATS

I have a 2012 Camaro SS with a 3in Flowmaster AT Catback and i don't have a clue what hiflow cat to purchase. Now go easy on me I am a gear head in training and ever since I bought this 2SS V8 capable of mass destruction on the track and Jaw dropping affects in Adults. i know more today than i did when i drove it off the dealership lot. so with that said i would like to improve the sound quailty along with the HP. I need a few suggestions on what kind of HIFLOW CAT should I look in to buy? I want that deeper louder growl that you can hear while Idling with a little added HP if thats possible. Also i am not cheap ,but i am not trying to be a Winner on Pinks all out.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Topher3134

Drives: delete me
Get the Ones that come with a set of lt headers from kooks. Buy the whole setup.
Topher3134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
J.D.

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformers Edition
Just want to give you a fair warning. I'm selling my 3 inch Flowmaster Outlaw exhaust because the addition of high flow cats removes the resonator that is on your factory cats. This made my system extremely loud but not in a good way. I got a lot of complements from people with missing teeth and driving old beat up pick up trucks. This is no joke. =) Before it was loud but the sound was very deep and sounded like a muscle car should in my opinion. With high flow cats it sounded amazing at WOT but normal driving conditions not so much. It lost the deep sound that I liked. Drone was something fierce and it sounded like a helicopter on the interstate at certain RPMs. My friend is a Gunny in the Marines and he said it reminded him of some of the cargo planes he's been in. I have before and after sound clips I can provide if you want.

To answer your question I have the Solo high flow cats installed now which are the best based on all the research I've done if you don't want to do any tuning or throw any CELs. I can personally vouch to this fact. It definitely added more HP and torque as well. JBA is probably second based on what I've read but more likely to throw a CEL. I installed the Mach XL system today and it toned it down a lot but still sounds mean under throttle. Drone is completely gone. My entire setup is Solo High Flow Cats, Solo Mach XL 2.5 with J - Pipe, and K&N CAI.
J.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
SSGT OF MARINES
LIKE A BOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
Just want to give you a fair warning. I'm selling my 3 inch Flowmaster Outlaw exhaust because the addition of high flow cats removes the resonator that is on your factory cats. This made my system extremely loud but not in a good way. I got a lot of complements from people with missing teeth and driving old beat up pick up trucks. This is no joke. =) Before it was loud but the sound was very deep and sounded like a muscle car should in my opinion. With high flow cats it sounded amazing at WOT but normal driving conditions not so much. It lost the deep sound that I liked. Drone was something fierce and it sounded like a helicopter on the interstate at certain RPMs. My friend is a Gunny in the Marines and he said it reminded him of some of the cargo planes he's been in. I have before and after sound clips I can provide if you want.

To answer your question I have the Solo high flow cats installed now which are the best based on all the research I've done if you don't want to do any tuning or throw any CELs. I can personally vouch to this fact. It definitely added more HP and torque as well. JBA is probably second based on what I've read but more likely to throw a CEL. I installed the Mach XL system today and it toned it down a lot but still sounds mean under throttle. Drone is completely gone. My entire setup is Solo High Flow Cats, Solo Mach XL 2.5 with J - Pipe, and K&N CAI.

LMAO you said it sounded like a Cargo plane DAMM . I so should I be looking at a another muffler or does flowmaster make cats that you speak of that give it that crazy loud muscle car sound I crave so badly .
Old 07-13-2012, 03:39 AM   #5
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
If you're keeping the stock exhaust manifolds, there's only like two that are direct bolt ons and replace the entire mid pipe section. JBA and SOLO are the only ones can think of, off the top of my head. Don't think there's much, if any difference between them.

If you're going to switch to long tube headers, i'd suggest buying the ones that match your headers at the same time. You get a discount by buying them then.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
1FAST SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I have JBA hi flow cats and they have never thrown a CEL. Easy install and a great quality product. If you have any questions PM me.

CAI Cold Air Induction, ADM Race Scoop, Apex Washer Bottle Kit, Vengeance Racing Kaotic Cam, DOD/VVT delete and LS3 conversion, American Racing LT Headers, American Racing Headers Off Road pipes, Borla S-Type Catback, FTI Billet Triple Disk 3600 rpm Torque Converter, DSS Aluminium Drive Shaft, AAC Plasma DRL's, Showstopper LED Sidemarkers,Carbon FIber Bow Ties, 35% Window Tint, Llyod's Floor Mats, JBL MS-8 Sound Processor, 2 Alpine PDX-1.600, Alpine PDX-4.100, JL Audio C5-650, JL Audio C5-650x, Alpine T10 Type R Shallow Mount, Stinger Dry Cell Battery
1FAST SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
infernometallicSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Best Run - 10.93@125
I had kooks. Never any problems. Only had em for about 3000 miles though.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
J.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGT OF MARINES View Post
LMAO you said it sounded like a Cargo plane DAMM . I so should I be looking at a another muffler or does flowmaster make cats that you speak of that give it that crazy loud muscle car sound I crave so badly .

Yep, it made a fluttering noise at cruising speeds. Sounded like it had a leak but I couldn't find any. Best way to describe it was a helicopter effect. I think if you google it you will see that other people have had similar issues with their exhausts. Not vendor specific. Can happen to any of them with certain combination of mods. Took it to several shops and they said it was just too aggressive of a setup. I spoke to Solo about attaching a set of resonators to the high flows and they said it would work but would have to be taken to a shop, cut down, and welded on. I think they sell them pre attached for the V6. I considered doing that because I loved how it sounded originally but with all the money I would have spent to make the Flowmaster sound good again I figured I'd just get a more refined exhaust with a built in resonated X pipe and J Pipes. Aso I had no need for a 3 inch setup since the cats are 2.5 inches anyway. Flowmaster is good for that old muscle car sound but as I'm learning there is a science to it. Once you start removing or adding other parts to your car it changes everything so you wanna make sure your entire setup is going to net you the end result you want. Flowmaster Outlaw catback by itself sounded amazing. Some people have had the same problem that went with the Borla Atak exhaust. Great sound but when they added high flows or long tubes it was crazy. Some people like it but I got tired of it. Deceleration pop was much louder as well. I like the pop but not as loud as it was. I like my current setup now and glad I switched. Flowmaster Outlaw, or Borla Atak isn't for everyone I guess. =) Well let me rephrase that. They sound excellent if all your looking for is to improve sound and not looking at any other mods down the road.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
SSGT OF MARINES
LIKE A BOSS

Gentlemen ,
Thank you for the outstanding Intel the last thing I want to do is make a bad purchase or buy an incompatible cats that make my Car sound like crap. Oorahh
Old 07-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #10
J.D.

Yeah, best I can say is search around for clips for other people that have the American Thunder system and high flows. The American Thunder is less aggressive than the Outlaw system so it may not be as bad as mine was. You can usually find a used pair of Solo high flow cats on forums for around $375. Its usually the people who are trading in their vehicle or want to switch to long tube headers in which case the Solo's wouldn't work unless they were cut down. If you're able to install them yourself like I did it will save you some money and worst case scenario you can always sell them. Just be careful not to strip the O2 sensors when removing from factory cats. Common issue people run into. I slightly stripped one of my O2 sensors but was able to file it down. Another option is to put on shorty headers which I'm looking at doing for my next purchase. They add a little HP and torque as well as increased sound. Obviously your biggest bottleneck is still going to be the cats unfortunately. Good luck man.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
TRIPWIRE
Chillin Like a Villain

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic Dusk Ed.
you have american thunder and the other guy had the outlaw which are two compelely different setups..... the american thunder does not lose its old school sound with headers or cats it makes it louder and it sounds amazing.....i would highly reccomend going with the solo high flow cats it will really wake up the car and make it sound mean! just my 2 cents
TRIPWIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
The Solo cats are great, but long tubes with high flow cats are better. If you decide to go with just cats, I'm selling my Solos.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote