Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-25-2011, 05:12 AM   #15
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernardinetti View Post
Here is another (more recent) TSB from GM:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Bl...afm_lifter.pdf

One thing I didnīt understand is why there are so many complaints about the AFM? I have my camaro for about two months now, and I canīt even notice when it kicks in (I really canīt tell when itīs engaged, even at cruise speed).

Whatīs the big deal about it (besides the AFM lifters issue)?
It's not a big deal imo. People like to complain. I've never heard my AFM either.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #16
shiftz33

Drives: 17 SS Sedan, 04 SSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
It's not a big deal imo. People like to complain. I've never heard my AFM either.
You can never satisfy everybody with a feature and how it behaves.

I happen to be one of those "complainers" since 4 cyl mode will kick in far too aggressively (speeds down to 20 MPH) and I can hear it via the exhaust sound (with stock exhaust or Borla Touring axle back). I have to drive up some steep hills to drive towards my home. Once I get up to about 20 MPH going up the steep incline of the hills around my home, I can feel the car go into 4 cyl mode and hear it. While in 4 cyl mode the car begins to struggle a bit because it's going up hill so I have to push the accelerator pedal a bit more to compensate for the 4 cyl mode and then it goes back to 8 cyl mode and then it's starting to move too fast for the residential area that I'm driving in. I then have to let off of the accelerator pedal a bit and then it jumps back into 4 cyl mode and the cycle repeats until I get to my house.

If AFM is not a bother to you, then great, but don't simply dismiss those of us that have driving patterns/requirements that bring out the nastiness of AFM and cause it to be annoyance to the driver.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:15 PM   #17
TrojanRay2418

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs
i too have had this same problem and 3 different dealers said it was "normal" now that i have a tsb printout to back me, i hope they re consider. ill give them a call tomorrow n see what they say. thanks for all the help fellas
TrojanRay2418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:56 PM   #18
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Does that sound even semi "normal" to anyone? NO.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:59 AM   #19
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Hearing the lifters that loud in a video does not sound good.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:44 AM   #20
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
I heard the lifters as well on my car. I hated hearing a new car tap so I thought about it and came to conclusion even with a warranty service techs don't want to fix your car. Then I asked myself do I really want them to touch my car? Go in for one thing another problem returned to me possibly.
I had a ls3 conversion with compression bump and a cam added
Best decision I ever made.

Afm is bs
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:01 AM   #21
ibznu2010

Drives: 2010 blk 2SS RS polished wheel
Can anyone tell me how to get in touch with GM. I have a issue with my 6.0 2500 HD GMC truck. They replaced cam and lifters last week due to not enough oil. Got it back and oil prssure had been running 10 psig at idle. Called service department & they gave me a bullitin saying that it was normal. Ok fine. Well yesterday i am going home and beep beep beep beep. I WAS LIKE WHAT THE HELL. Oil light comes on so i shut it down. Now i am not a dummy here but i think i would like a new engine. There has got to be damage after all this. Can anyone help in this matter to get in touch with GM.
ibznu2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #22
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibznu2010 View Post
Can anyone tell me how to get in touch with GM. I have a issue with my 6.0 2500 HD GMC truck. They replaced cam and lifters last week due to not enough oil. Got it back and oil prssure had been running 10 psig at idle. Called service department & they gave me a bullitin saying that it was normal. Ok fine. Well yesterday i am going home and beep beep beep beep. I WAS LIKE WHAT THE HELL. Oil light comes on so i shut it down. Now i am not a dummy here but i think i would like a new engine. There has got to be damage after all this. Can anyone help in this matter to get in touch with GM.
Search the member list for Jeff Morris here and he should be able to help you...
Old 09-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #23
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
ibznu2010, could you send me a description of what is going on with your truck? I'd like to see what I can do to assist you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #24
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Hmmm....maybe I need to take my A6 in for this TSB. I was hearing ticking sounds when I would turn my car on, but then it went away. A very new symptom is that I hear the same exact ticking sound when I accelerate.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:08 AM   #25
L99

Drives: B On B L99-Gone/SS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
I heard the lifters as well on my car. I hated hearing a new car tap so I thought about it and came to conclusion even with a warranty service techs don't want to fix your car. Then I asked myself do I really want them to touch my car? Go in for one thing another problem returned to me possibly.
I had a ls3 conversion with compression bump and a cam added
Best decision I ever made.

Afm is bs
Same here, best thing I ever did to my car.
L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #26
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

So, I took my car to the dealer today for the ticking sound under acceleration. I demonstrated it to the service advisor, and about 20 minutes later he came back and said that it might indeed be the lifters that need to be replaced. I spoke to the tech and he also said that it could be the lifters or a valve leak. Either way, they are keeping my car for an unforeseen amount of time :(
Old 09-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #27
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Iwantone2, hopefully they are able to get your vehicle back to you in a timely manner and hopefully they keep you up to date on how your repair is going. Let us know how the repair goes for you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #28
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Thanks Jeff! I actually heard from my service advisor and he said something along the lines of replacing the lifters, camshaft, pushrods, seals, and gaskets. I'll keep everyone posted.