Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-15-2014, 11:28 AM   #15
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
I have the same problem and Tom Henry is ordering me a new blower fan. Should have it installed later this week.

It would appear when the fan speed is <4, and as the car runs longer it will continue to get louder and louder. Its so annoying I had to shut it off.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #16
Abomb1223

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Mine does the same thing, haven't taken it in yet
Abomb1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #17
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Mine was replaced under warranty the first time. It's doing it again now, but I'm out of the warranty period. Getting a can of spray-on dry lubricant is on my to-do list based on my previous encounters with the problem.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #18
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexman1349 View Post
Mine was replaced under warranty the first time. It's doing it again now, but I'm out of the warranty period. Getting a can of spray-on dry lubricant is on my to-do list based on my previous encounters with the problem.
Its a poor design on GM's part. My 23 yr old accord never had an issue with the blower fan. Hell, come to think of it, none of the cars I've ever owned, or driven have had a blower fan issue.

Camaro...has 8K miles.

I am going to be really sad if it breaks again, because I am at year 2 of my warranty.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #19
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Yep. Many of us have the problem and of course it's never repeatable at the dealer. Mine comes and goes. Seems to be at its worst when it's really hot out and the AC is running. Going to try cleaning out the area behind the cabin filter.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #20
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by skirush View Post
I'm guessing the "wonderful" mods are going to give me another warning for posting this here, but I have no idea where else to pose the question.

My interior fan is making a weird noise at low speeds (say speeds 2 and 3). If it's turned up higher than that, the blower on the fan is blowing out the air fast enough that I don't hear the sound or it goes away. However, at low speeds the sound it makes is kind of similar to a cricket chirping. It's hard to explain the sound, but that's the closest thing I can think of. As you can imagine, it's kind of annoying.

Does anyone think they know what might be causing this sound? Has anyone else experienced this? My car is still under warranty (for 5000 more miles) so I can bring it in. But, I was just wondering your thoughts before I bring it in, so I can have a better idea. Plus, I'm guessing they are going to tell me "I have no idea".

Thanks,
I realize how displeasing it can be when faced with a fan noise concern like this skirush, and though you're seeking thoughts and opinions, I would be happy to communicate this situation with the designated Customer Experience Manager at your preferred dealer once you seek service. Feel free to message us privately if you'd like to proceed, or discuss this situation further.

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:19 PM   #21
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
It seems to be common... All 3 of my Camaro's have done it.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #22
Camarodriver2

Drives: FOR SALE! Bumblebee 1 of 1
My 2011 SS does it too....but with my new muffler delete, it's not as noticeable:-)
Camarodriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #23
Vespula2012

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS/SS LS3
My 2012 SS did it as well. Was replaced under warranty. But I hate that they have to cut the original one out... that its not a bolt on/off part.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #24
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
most electrical motors are sealed units meaning there is no zirc to grease the fan especially on smaller motors, and being our fan motors are so small they are most likely more susceptible to making noise... I had old chevies that had original fan motors last forever or thirty -40 years without a hint of noise til they were ready to croak.... you could try a penetrating oil to the motors bearing where the shaft comes out if that helps..... though I am sure they are not as easily accessible as just popping the hood to look at the firewall.........
Old 04-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #25
need4spd

Drives: 2012 2SS Black on Black
My v6 and my v8 both have this issue.. comes out after about 6 months of ownership. I guess its the quality of the blower fans that GM use. Cheap fans.

current ride - 2012 Black on Black 2SS RS w/ sunroof, muffler delete with SLP exhaust tips, rotofab cai, gm strut brace, BMR 1.4 drop springs all four corners, Stainless Power 1 7/8 long tubes, Hex Vents, Jannetty Racing Tune, Helmholtz J pipe, MMR 228 Z28 replica wheels.
need4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #26
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
I realize how displeasing it can be when faced with a fan noise concern like this skirush, and though you're seeking thoughts and opinions, I would be happy to communicate this situation with the designated Customer Experience Manager at your preferred dealer once you seek service. Feel free to message us privately if you'd like to proceed, or discuss this situation further.

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Same issue. I'm on fan motor #4 now. It stopped being funny after I replaced the 2nd one. I had a '99 Grand Prix and I had to replace it 3 times.

Based on all the posts including everyone's replies here, its safe to say this is an issue.

Suggestion:
Recommend management meet with the AC Delco department that creates the motors to kick off a solution regarding premature failure with their bearings. I'm sure metrics are captured from the dealer's service centers so management can provide figures indicating how many motors had to be replaced annually.

A fan motor isn't a critical item but with THIS many reports from GM cars, its serious enough where alternatives need to be implemented. Everything else works great on the car except for this. If you google it, folks are posting sites on how to fix it.

Its time for a new design.
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #27
CamaroKevin

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT RS SIM
I've had the same problem. Had the fan blower replaced once under warranty. They told me it was due to the heat melting a part. Less than a year later and it's making the same chirping noise it did on low fan speed. It's going to be a PITA when the warranty runs out. I'm hoping they honor the part if it is still defective after the warranty ends.
CamaroKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:19 PM   #28
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyBake View Post
Same issue. I'm on fan motor #4 now. It stopped being funny after I replaced the 2nd one. I had a '99 Grand Prix and I had to replace it 3 times.

Based on all the posts including everyone's replies here, its safe to say this is an issue.

Suggestion:
Recommend management meet with the AC Delco department that creates the motors to kick off a solution regarding premature failure with their bearings. I'm sure metrics are captured from the dealer's service centers so management can provide figures indicating how many motors had to be replaced annually.

A fan motor isn't a critical item but with THIS many reports from GM cars, its serious enough where alternatives need to be implemented. Everything else works great on the car except for this. If you google it, folks are posting sites on how to fix it.

Its time for a new design.
Thanks for your response TastyBake. We appreciate your feedback, and are able to formally document that into our system. Be sure to contact us anytime with additional questions if necessary .

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote