Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 03-30-2010, 04:46 PM   #29
Imjaybird

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Martel View Post
OK well I got the CAI installed but, am running into a problem. I'm getting a check engine light in the mornings. It will disappear on the drive home from work in the afternoon. I have access to a tech2 scan tool and was able to get the cod and it was an ecm code indicating I was running lean. Now, I have the MAF right behind the filter so, perhaps that's too close. I can move it further down the pipe. I'm also wondering if I may have a small vacuum leak because I simply pulled the plastic nipple out of the housing for the small hose and cut a hole in the rubber elbow and stuck it in there. It looks like it's sealed OK but, who knows. I was also wondering if maybe I had the MAF sensor in wrong. I would guess that the opening which the air goes into on the sensor would be pointed towards the filter where the air comes in. Am I correct in that assumption or should it be pointed towards the intake manifold? I plan on fixing this this evening but, was hoping to get some thoughts from you guys before I do. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

DM
The MAF has a small arrow on the outside to indicate the propper direction of the air flow. The MAF should be about the same distance or lees from the TB. It should also be in the middle of the tube spaced equally away from the walls. The small tube should be sealed ok. One way to check it is to put a lighter by it to see if it moves the flame, the only problem there is the fans need to be off. Hope this helps.
Any pics would be helpfull.
$IMJAYBIRD$
Imjaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #30
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
I redid the CAI after work and used a brass fitting for the small hose as well as moved the MAF to the center of the tube as opposed to the front where the filter is. I did notice the arrow when I was putting the MAF sensor in tube to test the fit so, it is in the right direction. I'll find out tomorrow morning if the changes I made fix the issue. I'll post up some pictures tomorrow. I just wanted to get everything working before I did. Thanks for the help.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:04 AM   #31
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

No check engine light this morning so it appears the changes I made did the trick. Will try and post pics this evening.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:57 AM   #32
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

UGH!!!! Got a check engine light this morning. Outside temp was about 50 degrees so, I don't think it was a temperature issue but, I could be wrong. I need to check the code to verify it's the same one I got before. My thoughts as to why I'm getting a check engine light is that I'm either getting too much air flow and it's out of the range or perhaps I have a small vacuum leak around where the brass nipple I screwed into the rubber elbow is. The car runs great with no hesitation or anything so, I'm thinking it's just too much air coming in. I don't understand why that is. I haven't posted a pic yet so, once I do that perhaps that will help with ideas. Any thoughts in the meantime would be appreciated. thanks
Old 04-01-2010, 07:15 AM   #33
Imjaybird

Quote:
UGH!!!! Got a check engine light this morning. Outside temp was about 50 degrees so, I don't think it was a temperature issue but, I could be wrong. I need to check the code to verify it's the same one I got before. My thoughts as to why I'm getting a check engine light is that I'm either getting too much air flow and it's out of the range or perhaps I have a small vacuum leak around where the brass nipple I screwed into the rubber elbow is. The car runs great with no hesitation or anything so, I'm thinking it's just too much air coming in. I don't understand why that is. I haven't posted a pic yet so, once I do that perhaps that will help with ideas. Any thoughts in the meantime would be appreciated. thanks
I forgot an important step I did. I did a fuse pull overnight to reset everthing! I know with my setup im gettin an ass load more air, but no code.
$IMJAYBIRD$
Old 04-01-2010, 07:20 AM   #34
Imjaybird

Also it could take 50 miles or more before the car "learns" the new A/F tables. Mine ran a little funy the first 10 or 20 miles then was purrrfect.
$IMJAYBIRD$
Old 04-01-2010, 07:46 AM   #35
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

which fuse did you pull???

are you talking about the fuses associated with the fuel relearn thing?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ight=fuse+pull

Last edited by Darth Martel; 04-01-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #36
Imjaybird

Quote:
which fuse did you pull???

are you talking about the fuses associated with the fuel relearn thing?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ight=fuse+pull
Yes, I let it sit overnight, it says to unhook the battery for an LS3 but I just did the fuses.
$IMJAYBIRD$
Old 04-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #37
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

OK... I checked the little inlet hose where it goes into the rubber elbow and it could have been sealed better. I've got a solution for that so, I'm hoping that and the fuse pull/relearn will take care of my issues. We'll see I guess. Thanks for the help jaybird.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #38
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

ok here's a couple pictures of my setup.

I don't understand why I keep getting a check engine light. It goes away after awhile but, if I let the car sit for a bit and then drive it, once I get into it just a bit I get a check engine light. Everything is sealed pretty tight.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #39
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Looking at your setup jaybird, do you have a 3" pipe or is that a 4"? It looks a bit smaller than mine. I'm using a 4" thick-walled ABS pipe.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #40
Imjaybird

I used a 4" elbow and tube, this filter inlet is 4" as well. Not sure if it matters but the vac line on your seems longer than stock. When I built mine I tried to put the MAF and the vac tube the exact spots as oe. The reducers my be making a vortec effect and trowing of the MAF. IMOP, sorry ur having trouble.
On my GTP when I changed the Tstat to a lower temp I got coolant codes all the time, after I got a tune it wasn't an issue anymore.
Hope that does not happen when I change the one in the camaro, need to do some reasearch.
$IMJAYBIRD$
Old 04-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #41
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imjaybird View Post
Not sure if it matters but the vac line on your seems longer than stock. .
Yeah, that vac line is in a totally different position than any I've seen. Was there a reason to put it there?
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #42
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

I have plenty of the 4" tube so I'll make another one. The reason I put the inlet where it is is because the brass inlet nipple I have there screws in and is air tight. The rubber elbow I have here is a bit smaller than the one I had previously. When I had the brass nipple in the previous elbow I was suspect of the seal. I'll make a smaller hole in the new elbow and that should ensure a better seal. I wasn't sure if the moving the inlet would make that much of a difference but, it probably does.