Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #71
USNSCPO
Gearhead

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Gawd this project looks like so much fun to do. I love a mechanical challenge like you're wrestling with. Not to mention the end result when you can sit back and say to yourself. "Self, you done good! Did something only a few ppl on the planet could pull off." Awesome work there....
Old 04-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #72
Prochargedchevyi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Nice build...do you have any pictures of the merge and wastegate placement?

Vince
Old 04-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #73
4xchamp
MURC 666

Drives: 69 Pace Car 68 Camaro Restomod 81 Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipimpthisc View Post
that works look top notch...respect
Thank you for the kind words .

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSCPO View Post
Gawd this project looks like so much fun to do. I love a mechanical challenge like you're wrestling with. Not to mention the end result when you can sit back and say to yourself. "Self, you done good! Did something only a few ppl on the planet could pull off." Awesome work there....
Thank you , and thank you for your service to our nation .
I've had a lot of help on this project . I'm fortunate to have a good brother and friends .
My favorite tools you know , are duct tape and glue , but only the real good stuff . I'm mechanical and real good at some stuff but really dangerous also .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prochargedchevyi View Post
Nice build...do you have any pictures of the merge and wastegate placement?

Vince
The wastegate is going on tomorrow , I'll get shots up . What merge ? The crossover ? Let me know .

The exhaust is partially connected . Last night I ran out of pipe , made too many mistakes along the way that ended up in the scrap pile so today I restocked . Fortunately we have local availability .
There are a bunch of little odds and ends that need to be finished . I mean like just just wrapping and insulating which is critical to blower efficiency will probably take an entire day .
The best part of the project is the laughs we've had along the way . Guys and cars . Need I say more ?
Old 04-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #74
Prochargedchevyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xchamp View Post
What merge ? The crossover ? Let me know
Where the two headers connect into the T4 flange.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #75
4xchamp
MURC 666

Quote:
Where the two headers connect into the T4 flange.
Check out my next post .
Old 04-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #76
4xchamp
MURC 666

The header is finally finished and wastegate installed . It's been test fitted numerous times . I just need to clean up the welds and pretty up before wrapping with insulation . I now need to mate the right exhaust bank to the turbo downpipe .
Today everything went pretty well , no major screwups and no missing parts or tools . I can almost hear it scream , so close .
We're really designing and building our own stuff here . No kit , no instructions !
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #77
LightningSS

Drives: WAS '10 SS IBM, NOW '14 BRM ZL1
Quote:
Everybody wants to know how much power it'll gain , hey , I'm just hoping it'll still run.
+10 I think the same thing every time I pull off a piece of trim to look at the wire routing....
LightningSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #78
Prochargedchevyi

I think it's very admirable that you've built this on your own, but from what I've seen I think you're going to run into several issues:

1) The wastegate placement needs to be changed so that it is the final port after the primaries. If you still have a full primary pumping directly into the turbo, it completely negates having an external WG in the first place and the result will be boost spikes and creeps.

2) The log style manifolds have been around forever, but their one downfall has always been turbulence of air prior to the flange. The way that you have the PS bank flowing into the rear of the DS bank is only going to compound the issue. Most people merge the two banks by cutting 2 pipes at 70* and welding the together. There are countless examples of this design floating around the "other" LS-based forums.

Again, I'm not trying to make you feel bad, rather I'm trying to help you out based upon the pictures that I see. My team and I used to build 7 second 10.5 Outlaws back in Florida and the majority of them were big single turbo engines. Granted, you're not building a drag car but the concepts are similar between the two.

Please ask questions. We're here to help.

Vince

Last edited by Prochargedchevyi; 04-16-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Prochargedchevyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #79
4xchamp
MURC 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningSS View Post
+10 I think the same thing every time I pull off a piece of trim to look at the wire routing....
Man , I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets jittery around these things .

Quote:
I think it's very admirable that you've built this on your own, but from what I've seen I think you're going to run into several issues:

1) The wastegate placement needs to be changed so that it is the final port after the primaries. If you still have a full primary pumping directly into the turbo, it completely negates having an external WG in the first place and the result will be boost spikes and creeps.

2) The log style manifolds have been around forever, but their one downfall has always been turbulence of air prior to the flange. The way that you have the PS bank flowing into the rear of the DS bank is only going to compound the issue. Most people merge the two banks by cutting 2 pipes at 70* and welding the together. There are countless examples of this design floating around the "other" LS-based forums.

Again, I'm not trying to make you feel bad, rather I'm trying to help you out based upon the pictures that I see. My team and I used to build 7 second 10.5 Outlaws back in Florida and the majority of them were big single turbo engines. Granted, you're not building a drag car but the concepts are similar between the two.

Please ask questions. We're here to help.

Vince
Vince , thanks for the input . You surely know the effort I've put forth and the knuckles I've bruised . I'm learning everyday thanks to my experiences and men like you willing to share their knowledge .
My brother said the same thing about the wastegate , he actually showed me correct place to mount it . I obviously had a better idea and didn't listen , fortunately no big deal to modify . As far as the log manifold not too many options with the space available , so I went with it .

I do have a question Vince . I am running two 02 sensors for the OBD and one for the wideband . Where should I place the three bungs ? I believe the left bank readings will be inaccurate because of the right bank gases cooling as they crossover . Presently the car has four 02 sensors , two precat and two most cat .Your thoughts ?
Thanks again , Jimmy

Last edited by 4xchamp; 04-16-2011 at 09:55 PM.
4xchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:28 PM   #80
4xchamp
MURC 666

I was just looking at a single turbo kit that only had a 2.5" log manifold , mine is 3" . Their wastegate was mounted under the car pumping from the crossover into the exhaust system so that leaves 4 cyls pumping into the turbo . Maybe on a low boost street car not a big issue ?
Old 04-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #81
Prochargedchevyi

Quote:

I do have a question Vince . I am running two 02 sensors for the OBD and one for the wideband . Where should I place the three bungs ? I believe the left bank readings will be inaccurate because of the right bank gases cooling as they crossover . Presently the car has four 02 sensors , two precat and two most cat .Your thoughts ?
Thanks again , Jimmy
That depends. Are you running an open or a closed loop speed density system? If it's a street car then it should be an open loop. The cars that I worked on were always a closed loop which means we would delete the O2 sensors all together.

For an open loop system, you need to place 1 bung in each manifold (bank) prior to the turbo for accurate readings. For the wideband AFR sensor you'll want it between 12" - 18" after the turbo on the downpipe.

Vince
Old 04-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #82
4xchamp
MURC 666

Thanks Vince , I'm running open loop .
Almost there . Tonight we wrapped the exhaust , started playing with the crankcase venting , fitted the maf mount to intake pipe , figured out the a/c line re-routing and a few other small but important things .
I need to get a safe preliminary tune so I can fire it up and get it sorted out .
Hopefully the surprises will be few and insignificant .
Old 04-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #83
4xchamp
MURC 666

We're at the end of the build and there are so many little things to address my head is spinning . Amongst all this stuff I call JRE to email me a tune and voila ! At the speed of lightning I have a tune , however Ted also suggests I rework my maf tube and then suggests a location for the bov . I now need to rethink these two items .
Jannetty also has a company called Turbo Addiction , so I guess I'd better review my design and make appropriate adjustments . It is my understanding that correct maf placement is an essential .
The build continues .
Old 04-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #84
4xchamp
MURC 666

Got a lot done tonight . If I had the correct oil return line fitting I could have fired it up . Still have to connect a couple of vaccum lines , air filter and I'm sure a thing or to that are presently forgotten . I need a vaccum line check valve , can you believe no local parts store has one ?
Attached Images