Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #15
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
Will the plasti-dip come off if it's ran through a car wash with high pressure?
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #16
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotaman96 View Post
Will the plasti-dip come off if it's ran through a car wash with high pressure?
That I do not know. My car does not go through a car wash so I have no experience. Does someone who knows this from personal experience want to chip in?
Old 05-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #17
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Im gonna spray my friends car black at night while hes sleeping as a birthday present.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #18
zombi

Drives: 2011 Black 6 Speed
Plastidip won't come off in a car wash you can pressure wash it and it will be fine.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:33 PM   #19
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Is the black a gloss? If not, since the clear coat isnt that great, what would oyu reommend using as a clear coat or in order to get a glossy look to it? All my accents on my car are gloss black so I would like to stick with the gloss black look. Another question, how do you do the lug nuts so that when you put on/take off the tires, the lugs dont chip or get destroyed??
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #20
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwayne3000 View Post
Is the black a gloss? If not, since the clear coat isnt that great, what would oyu reommend using as a clear coat or in order to get a glossy look to it? All my accents on my car are gloss black so I would like to stick with the gloss black look. Another question, how do you do the lug nuts so that when you put on/take off the tires, the lugs dont chip or get destroyed??
Sorry, plasti-dip is a flat/satin black. I am sure that you could spray a clear over it after you were done, though I do not know how that would affect the whole "peels right off" thing.

As for the lug nuts, you can't do them. Well I mean you can, but they will just get ruined when you put them on. I went to Apex Motorsports and bought a set of black gorilla lug nuts.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #21
JCO2185
RIDING ON AIR

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Summit White
i love plasti-dip. i am officially hooked on this stuff. Did my wheels, lower grille, and the taillight trim rings.

I even have people at my job doing their wheels with this stuff now lol

--John--2010 Camaro 2LT/RS, Summit White
Air Ride Suspension, BBK Longtube Headers, Hi-Flo cats, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Elite Catch-Can, Airraid CAI, Trifecta tune, ZL1 front end with Phantom grille, ZL1 side skirts, MRR228 graphite wheels
JCO2185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #22
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
Plasti-dip is the shiznit!!!
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #23
YOUNGnRECKLESS
Building the Beast

Drives: 2010 VR LS3
great write-up. i've done my wheels and heritage grille with this stuff, looks great. its basically a perfect match with the OEM black like you said.

well done
Old 05-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #24
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
I plasti-dipped my rear trunk panel, LS7-style. I taped off the bumper and then masked larger parts off with plastic trash bags. I removed my bezels and went at it. The only thing that is difficult for me is peeling away the masking/painters tape with out peeling the plasti-dip away. Anyone have any suggestions? I WILL NOT use a blade to score the edges because thats just down right stupid. I'll post up picks later. It looks oK but the passenger side edges look a little stupid up close - its reversible so what the hell right?
Old 05-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #25
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
That I do not know. My car does not go through a car wash so I have no experience. Does someone who knows this from personal experience want to chip in?
I ran my car through a touchless wash yesterday. Tailight bezels, front bumper and rear trunk panel still intact. The trunk and bezels were sprayed last weekend and the front bumper about 2 weeks ago.

Verdict: Holds up under pressure.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #26
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythezo6 View Post
I plasti-dipped my rear trunk panel, LS7-style. I taped off the bumper and then masked larger parts off with plastic trash bags. I removed my bezels and went at it. The only thing that is difficult for me is peeling away the masking/painters tape with out peeling the plasti-dip away. Anyone have any suggestions? I WILL NOT use a blade to score the edges because thats just down right stupid. I'll post up picks later. It looks oK but the passenger side edges look a little stupid up close - its reversible so what the hell right?
Glad to see people are plasti-dipping outside of the box. I can help you with the taking off tape thing though. After you have finished your last coat of plasti-dip you want to take the tape off imediately. This way the plasti-dip the is still wet and it won't come off with the tape.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #27
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

When I painted my front bumper (the flat portion near the grill) it was not as bad. I layed down several initial light coats then I started to lay down thicker coats working from the grill towards the tape. I then peeled off the tape after the final coat and didn't have any lifting. I might have to do a similar method for the rear. I'll peel it off and redo it this weekend. I might do my roof too.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #28
The Stig

If you do your roof be sure to post pics. I'm toying with the idea of doing mine.