Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 07-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
SS/GA

Drives: '68 SS396 - '98 Z28 - '10 2SS
COPOS... What's the deal??

Supposedly all of the 69 cars have been allocated by Chevrolet's panel of experts and insiders, but yet there is no actual list of who is getting these cars or when deliveries will be made (I've heard a few will be @ Indy)...

And there are no specific details of who is actually building / assembling the cars? (mpr did the first one (or two) but how about the rest??)

Drag racers are like little old ladies... they can't wait to spread any news or gossip about themselves or somebody else, but all of this info is tighter than tight, and dribbles out in unsubstantiated rumors.

Anybody have some facts to share.

**I'd like to see a 'sticky' list showing the NEW COPOs and their Owners.

Thanks!

SS/GA

Last edited by SS/GA; 07-30-2012 at 04:27 PM.
SS/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #2
Sandor
Chevrolet Performance

Drives: Camaro Chroma
SS/GA, here are the facts:

- Yes, all of the 2012 run of vehicles are sold, however Chevrolet Performance will be releasing a COPO build book listing all the parts and procedures needed to build your own COPO to NHRA specs

- The vehicles are being build in a GM managed operation, with bodies-in-white and body hardware directly from Oshawa and engines built at the Wixom Performance Build Center

- We will not be listing the owners, becuase that is private information that does not get released. However several enthusiast owners are blogging around the internet...

- Production is well under way, and the first deliveries started this week! Expect to see COPOs in action at Indy

- Information is regularily released on theblock.com

Hope this info helps.
Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandor View Post

- Yes, all of the 2012 run of vehicles are sold, however Chevrolet Performance will be releasing a COPO build book listing all the parts and procedures needed to build your own COPO to NHRA specs

- The vehicles are being build in a GM managed operation, with bodies-in-white and body hardware directly from Oshawa and engines built at the Wixom Performance Build Center

- We will not be listing the owners, becuase that is private information that does not get released. However several enthusiast owners are blogging around the internet...

- Production is well under way, and the first deliveries started this week! Expect to see COPOs in action at Indy

Hope this info helps.
I hope Chevy gets these cars out on the track, because they are now a year or more behind and quite frankly, the mustangs have most of stock and super stock covered. Hell, I watched Jeg Coughlin in his Challenger be entirely outrun in a heads up race against a mustang cobra jet in Stock at Norwalk. Jeg went red and was still second to the finish line.

Its going to be humiliating if the COPO is built up so much (speculation wise), and Chevy has wasted all this time, only to see the Mustangs walk all over them.

And as for drivers of the COPOs....Dave Connolly will be one.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
SS/GA

Quote:

Hope this info helps.
Sandor, I have been following these cars since their sema debut... and more recently the cars release this week... and everything about them has been very exciting.

On the 7/30 when I had originally posted my inquiry here, not much of this weeks info had actually been shared with the public yet, and a lot of curious minds were asking the same questions elsewhere, as I did here.

I'm involved with the industry as a manufacturer, and a racer, and we tried to get one of these first 69 cars, but probably didn't have the needed inside connections to pursue hard enough to actually prevail.

The cars are awesome, and they will show their stuff in short order.

Thank You Sandor for your comments & reply.

SS/GA
Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Check the photos page on C5. One guy just picked his up! Many pics of the car.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
SS/GA

Quote:
Chevrolet Performance will be releasing a COPO build book listing all the parts and procedures needed to build your own COPO to NHRA specs
Sandor, we've already been talking about doing this also....
When will the Build Book / Guide / Part Numbers be available?

And has nhra thought at all about allowing a "Traditional" Stocker yet (based on the o.e.m. engine configurations)?

Thank You for your replies.

SS/GA

Last edited by SS/GA; 08-10-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Sandor
Chevrolet Performance

Drives: Camaro Chroma
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS/GA View Post
Sandor, we've already been talking about doing this also....
When will the Build Book / Guide / Part Numbers be available?

And has nhra thought at all about allowing a "Traditional" Stocker yet (based on the o.e.m. engine configurations)?

Thank You for your replies.

SS/GA
We hope to have the build book available before the end of the year.

Regarding NHRA, I can't speak for them.

Thanks for your support!
Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote