Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 02-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #15
Black-Out

Drives: himself insane
What are you offering (parts & dollars wise) to cure the most common (1-2, 2-3 crunch) woes?

Presumably the shift fork pads, synchro's, etc?
{sold} -- 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS - Black on Black. Kooks catted LT's, CAI, Accell 9070c ceramic wires, Barton shifter, custom catback w/Dynomax VT's, quad tips, Pfadt springs/sway bars/trailing arms, Diablosport tuner {Lew tune}, 3.91 gear's, Energy cradle bushings.
Black-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:14 AM   #16
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM Transmissions View Post
I would be happy to work with you. If you have any questions at all feel free to give me a call at the shop.

Thanks,
Jeremy
I'm sure you have gotten countless inquiries from those of us with notchy 1-2, 2-3 shifts. On top of that, my TR6060 likes to randomly lock me out of 3rd at high RPM shifts. One day it will shift fine at 6K, the next, I hit a brick wall.

What do you offer folks who just want the trans to operate properly? My SS is just a street crawler that get's me to and from work. GM has no solution and has taken the 5th on knowing anything about problems with the TR6060.

Thanks.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #17
RPM Transmissions

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
Don't have a broke main shaft but do have the notchy shifting from 2nd to 3rd an the dealer can't replicate but I'm sure they don't drive it like I do, what's the difference of bronze pads vs stock plastic pads vs billet pads, and what are your synchro improvements???
The stock fork pads are plastic. With the stock plastic pads when you bang the gears the plastic pads take a beating and will eventually smash and fall off the forks.

The bronze pads are what we use. Our pads are a bronze alloy that is much tougher than the stock plastic pads. Early on bronze pads got a bad rap because people were making them out of pure bronze which is too soft for this use.

As for the "billet" pads I think that is just a fancy name they are giving their bronze pads. Everyone knows that bronze is a fairly soft metal. But also everyone knows that the term "billet" is stronger and better. So they use that as a marketing ploy.

For the synchronizer improvements we install new Tremec carbon lined synchronizer rings, hand fit the slider hubs, deburr all the pieces along with micro polishing all the internal parts to reduce friction to help the rings to chance the speed of the internal parts easier.
RPM Transmissions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:04 AM   #18
RPM Transmissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Out View Post
What are you offering (parts & dollars wise) to cure the most common (1-2, 2-3 crunch) woes?

Presumably the shift fork pads, synchro's, etc?
We don't sell parts by themselves. The parts in conjunction with our build practices are what solves the shifting issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I'm sure you have gotten countless inquiries from those of us with notchy 1-2, 2-3 shifts. On top of that, my TR6060 likes to randomly lock me out of 3rd at high RPM shifts. One day it will shift fine at 6K, the next, I hit a brick wall.

What do you offer folks who just want the trans to operate properly? My SS is just a street crawler that get's me to and from work. GM has no solution and has taken the 5th on knowing anything about problems with the TR6060.

Thanks.
Yes, we get calls about the Camaro TR6060 issues daily. With the TR6060 there is a much smaller "window" between the engagement teeth. That along with the poor functioning cindered bronze synchronizer rings makes for inconsistent shifting.

In a manual transmission the synchronizer rings work like a break pad. When you shift gears as you pull on the shifter the shift fork moves the slider against the outer blocking ring. This ring presses against the synchronizer friction ring which then presses against the inner cone that is attached to the next gear. The friction ring grabs ahold of the gear and spins the next gear, the cluster shaft, the input shaft and the clutch disk to the correct speed to allow the slider to smoothly engage the next gear without grinding or just simply blocking you out of gear. This is why the carbon rings are important along with the other upgrades and modifications we offer in our transmissions. The carbon is much more aggressive than the cindered bronze and works much better.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #19
Hannibal

Are you using the same "upgraded" carbon rings found in later production TR6060s? I know that mine has carbon rings in it. They seem to make little to no difference over the earlier copper ones.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #20
RPM Transmissions

Quote:
Are you using the same "upgraded" carbon rings found in later production TR6060s? I know that mine has carbon rings in it. They seem to make little to no difference over the earlier copper ones.
These are the same rings but the rings alone are not the complete fix. It is a combination of all of our upgrades that solves the shifting issues. The later TR6060s only have the carbon ring on 2nd gear as well.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #21
Hannibal

Quote:
These are the same rings but the rings alone are not the complete fix. It is a combination of all of our upgrades that solves the shifting issues. The later TR6060s only have the carbon ring on 2nd gear as well.
That makes sense.

And now for the big question. How much does this entire upgrade cost?

Old 02-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #22
RPM Transmissions

Quote:
That makes sense.

And now for the big question. How much does this entire upgrade cost?

I will shoot you a PM because I don't believe we can discuss cost in the technical areas on here.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #23
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Has anyone thought of using beryllium as fork pads because the more you beat on them the harder they get. They use them for anti drop stops on UH-60s
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:02 PM   #24
RPM Transmissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
Has anyone thought of using beryllium as fork pads because the more you beat on them the harder they get. They use them for anti drop stops on UH-60s
Machining Beryllium has many hazards. You have to be licensed to machine it and the dust is a know carcinogen. So it is best to avoid that particular metal.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #25
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 SS
Just a FYI, I have an RPM 6060 in my GTO and it works flawlessly at 7,000 - 8,000 rpm shifting when we were testing things.

And now that I have a 2014 SS they'll get this one too!
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #26
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Bad stuff

Quote:
Machining Beryllium has many hazards. You have to be licensed to machine it and the dust is a know carcinogen. So it is best to avoid that particular metal.
Yeah it's pretty hazardous stuff but it does serve it's purpose very well
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote