Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #15
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
What exactly is the dealer doing to resolve the problem?

-Funk
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #16
sask-man
Sask-man from Sask

Drives: 2010 1SSRS M6 Black of course!
Dealer replaced the synchros as well as second gear that was shot because of the synchro failure. 100% warranty. Took a while to get parts in and they said to just keep driving it, since afterall the gear was already gone. Only bugged me when it would grind around people who would look at you like it was your first time driving!

Always shifted smooth if you were driving like your gramma, but who does that!
sask-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #17
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
I've seen this with the stock shifter and the Hurst. The problem is your transmission is cold. If I let temp get up to the 180 mark it's all good.

Gentlemen. These cars are like a Lady. You have to warm them up before you just slam it in them. They don't like it if they're not "warmed" up.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #18
eggydoo

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
I've seen this with the stock shifter and the Hurst. The problem is your transmission is cold. If I let temp get up to the 180 mark it's all good.

Gentlemen. These cars are like a Lady. You have to warm them up before you just slam it in them. They don't like it if they're not "warmed" up.
Thanks for the info...I just started to recently experience this myself during spirited driving. I also have a short shifter installed.

And I do notice it only happens in the morning for me...cause I merge onto the highway within 3 to 4 minutes of regular driving from my home..and I tend to floor it at this point
eggydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #19
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAC2011 View Post
So, today I took out the Hurst shifter and put back in the stock shifter. I was planning on taking it back to the dealership tomorrow. I tried about 6 full throttle 1st to second shifts with the factory and the problem seems to be gone. I didn't grind gears once. I shifted around 6000 to 6200. At this point I can't blame anything but the Hurst shifter. As I was taking out the Hurst I reread the directions and verified that I installed the Hurst correctly before removing it and putting the factory shifter back in. The good news is that now I can take the car to Atlanta Chassis Dyno for the headers and the camshaft tomorrow, as opposed to taking it to the dealership for problems. Lucky me! You better believe Hurst is going to get a call tomorrow!
this is very interesting. i also have noticed a grind going into second after installing my hurst shifter. i was also planning on removing the hurst back to stock because i never had an issue when i was stock. i went to the drag strip 3 times with the stock shifter, and no problems. it has to be the hurst.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #20
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post

seeing as how there are no problems with the stock shifter, i don't think that's the problem.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #21
njdad61

Drives: 2020 Satin Steel 2SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesc1123 View Post
Talking to some transmission guys, grinding like that in the 1-2 shift is pretty common on a cold transmission (even more so on the TR-6060). Your problem might not be a poorly constructed shifter, but you just physically aren't quick enough without it to be fast enough to grind the gears. Food for thought.
This.

Mine had the horrible grind with the stock shifter, but only when I speed shifted as fast as I could. With the MGW, it's every time I don't all-out granny shift. The 2nd gear assembly, specifically the bronze sintered blocking rings is definitely the culprit. Several members have had these parts replaced with the compressed carbon rings and report their tranny now shifts like butter. With a short-throw, every dollar-saving fault in the TR6060 is put on display.
  • Arrived 8/13/19
  • Home 8/16/19
njdad61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #22
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Well said and right on the mark!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #23
DarkObsession

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS2/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trott View Post
I had my car at the dealer this week for this problem and was told that it was not normal driving conditions when it accrued so nothing could be done.

Take it to another dealer.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #24
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdad61 View Post
This.

Mine had the horrible grind with the stock shifter, but only when I speed shifted as fast as I could. With the MGW, it's every time I don't all-out granny shift. The 2nd gear assembly, specifically the bronze sintered blocking rings is definitely the culprit. Several members have had these parts replaced with the compressed carbon rings and report their tranny now shifts like butter. With a short-throw, every dollar-saving fault in the TR6060 is put on display.
Again, I'm pretty sure this isn't the case for the OP, nor i. We never had problems with the stock shifter, in any gear, power shifting or not. Then, the hurst goes in, and we have problems with the 1-2 shift, but no other gear shift. I didn't know what was the problem, the synchros, hurst, etc? Now that he put the stock shifter back in, and has no problems, I'm 95% sure it's a problem with the hurst. I'll be 100% sure once I put my stock back in.

And if I don't have any problems with my stock shifter, I hope hurst does something about it.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #25
njdad61

Drives: 2020 Satin Steel 2SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Again, I'm pretty sure this isn't the case for the OP, nor i. We never had problems with the stock shifter, in any gear, power shifting or not. Then, the hurst goes in, and we have problems with the 1-2 shift, but no other gear shift. I didn't know what was the problem, the synchros, hurst, etc? Now that he put the stock shifter back in, and has no problems, I'm 95% sure it's a problem with the hurst. I'll be 100% sure once I put my stock back in.

And if I don't have any problems with my stock shifter, I hope hurst does something about it.
The only way Hurst can fix it is if they put out a "normal throw" shifter...

Plus, the Hurst only replaces the center shaft, not the whole shifter body like the MGW, so how could that alone cause the transmission to grind without an underlying fault in the transmission itself? And if that were possible, why is the same problem occurring with other brands of shifters and why is only the 2nd gear grinding instead of all of them?
  • Arrived 8/13/19
  • Home 8/16/19
njdad61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:17 AM   #26
jtmiller92

Drives: 2011 1SS Camaro
Wow, I thought it was me. It has been a while since driving a stick but when I test drove my SS before buying it this past week it did the same thing. I just ignored it thinking maybe a didnt get into gear before the clutch completely engaged. Mine has the Hurst shifter installed from the factory. Since buying it I have tried it twice more and it did the same thing. If I granny shift it, it works fine. I barely have 200 miles on the car so I'm trying not to be too abusive. I may talk to the dealer about it just to see what they say.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:46 AM   #27
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdad61 View Post
The only way Hurst can fix it is if they put out a "normal throw" shifter...

Plus, the Hurst only replaces the center shaft, not the whole shifter body like the MGW, so how could that alone cause the transmission to grind without an underlying fault in the transmission itself? And if that were possible, why is the same problem occurring with other brands of shifters and why is only the 2nd gear grinding instead of all of them?
well, from what i'm hearing from other posters is that it has happened with their stock shifter. I have no idea why it would only happen to 2nd gear. I don't think i've heard anything from the guys who went with the Barton shifter...
Old 03-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #28
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmiller92 View Post
Wow, I thought it was me. It has been a while since driving a stick but when I test drove my SS before buying it this past week it did the same thing. I just ignored it thinking maybe a didnt get into gear before the clutch completely engaged. Mine has the Hurst shifter installed from the factory. Since buying it I have tried it twice more and it did the same thing. If I granny shift it, it works fine. I barely have 200 miles on the car so I'm trying not to be too abusive. I may talk to the dealer about it just to see what they say.
Nope it's not you. Just be sure you can re-produce the problem. If you can, your golden. I did 556092852345 laps around my dealer with the tech and FINALLY got it to grind. It wasn't even under hard acceleration either. After they replaced my 2nd gear pack there has been zero issues!!

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first to second, second grind