Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Talking Borla ATAK versus Stainless Works Retro Chambered

Many Camaro SS owners seem end up trying to choose between these two systems. For that reason we shot videos of each in 720x486 HD and with digital stereo audio.

Note: While the Stainless Works system may seem quieter than the ATAK, that is not the case. It is actually a little louder. The ATAK was recorded first and when we filmed the Stainless Works we had to turn the levels down due to it peaking out the audio equipment.

Borla ATAK cat back system (part #: 140356)

The Camaro SS in our first video belongs to Camaro5 member CamaroHutch. It is equipped with the very popular Borla ATAK cat back system (part #: 140356) with stock exhaust manifolds and cats. It is also running a CAI Inc air intake system.

Stainless Works Retro Chambered cat back (part#: CA11CB)

The Camaro SS in our next video belongs to Camaro5 member Tantalizer43. It is equipped with the Stainless Works Retro Chambered cat back system (part #: CA11CB) with stock manifolds and cats.

And here is the same car with the addition of a set of Stainless Works 1 7/8 headers and high flow cats (part #: CA11HDRCATST).

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
OK, so if they're so close, and it's so hard to choose, which ones make more power?
winterboy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #3
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
They're catbacks, catbacks aren't really there for power. So you shouldn't base your decision off of 1-3 horsepower at the very, absolute best.

I'm actually more interested in the tone between the two, I hear from numerous sources that the Atak is more raspy.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterboy8 View Post
OK, so if they're so close, and it's so hard to choose, which ones make more power?
You will not gain any power with either. There is not any power to be gained in the exhaust system behind the cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
They're catbacks, catbacks aren't really there for power. So you shouldn't base your decision off of 1-3 horsepower at the very, absolute best.

I'm actually more interested in the tone between the two, I hear from numerous sources that the Atak is more raspy.
The ATAK has a higher pitched tone and some rasp. The Retro Chambered has a deeper tone.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #5
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
I've looked long and hard at both of these options. It's a shame Borla doesn't offer a 3" system with the ATAK mufflers.

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:59 PM   #6
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post

The ATAK has a higher pitched tone and some rasp. The Retro Chambered has a deeper tone.
I see, the retro chambered exhaust looks just like a straight pipe though other than a few changes you can see to the pipe itself.

I'm just scared for $1,000 that it will sound too similar to just a muffler delete.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:19 PM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
I see, the retro chambered exhaust looks just like a straight pipe though other than a few changes you can see to the pipe itself.

I'm just scared for $1,000 that it will sound too similar to just a muffler delete.
At first glance they are easy to miss but if you look closely there are 4 sections that look like this.

If you look inside it they look like this.

These acoustically tuned chambered section are what gives a chambered exhaust their signature raw muscle car sound.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:42 PM   #8
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
If you have the opportunity would you consider re-recording the ATAK catback video, so we could have a truly direct comparison? Your videos are already the go-to for this comparison, but videos with equal audio would truly optimal. Plus you'd get to play with another Borla equipped car
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:40 AM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt View Post
If you have the opportunity would you consider re-recording the ATAK catback video, so we could have a truly direct comparison? Your videos are already the go-to for this comparison, but videos with equal audio would truly optimal. Plus you'd get to play with another Borla equipped car
The only change in the audio settings was we turned the sensitivity down a little because the Retro Chambered was louder. When comparing them back-to-back it will make the Retro Chambered sound not as loud but real world volume is not something you can get a feel for in video anyways.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:09 PM   #10
bionick

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
SW is also cheaper than ATTAK.
I love my SW set up. Headers to tips.
Has a awesome deep growl at low RPM and just sounds like destruction at WOT.
Get compliments daily
Old 04-10-2015, 07:17 PM   #11
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionick View Post
sounds like destruction at WOT.
I like that.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:16 PM   #12
Noctis

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Throw a cam into the mix and the destructions at WOT becomes hell breaking loose people turn into owls when you go by with bulging eyes and 180 degree neck snap
Noctis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:42 PM   #13
oepuxuntom

Drives: Camaro
I hear from numerous sources that the Atak is more raspy.
oepuxuntom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:15 AM   #14
Camaro10ss1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
Throw a cam into the mix and the destructions at WOT becomes hell breaking loose people turn into owls when you go by with bulging eyes and 180 degree neck snap
How's the car been since the cam install?
Camaro10ss1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
borla atak, retro chambered cat back, stainless works