Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Convertible L99
AVOID - Meguiar's Gold Class Leather cleaner/Condition Spray

I was at Walmart and there was a sale on Meguiar's Gold Class Rich leather cleaner and conditioner. I have had good luck with lots of off the shelf Meguiar's products, so I purchased it.

This product is HORRIBLE. Do not buy it! Its streaky and it leaves a horrible oily resuide. It is very uneven. I tried several ways to apply it and they all had the same horrible results.

I applied it in the shade after the sun had gone down. At first I was relatively happy with the application. but later that night I noticed finger prints on my passenger side head rest from my son getting out of the back seat. Worse was the next morning in the sun, it was like I was drunk when I applied it, there were spots all over and it was completely uneven.

I even tried to even out the finish by using a dry MF towel to knock down the gloss, it still left some spots either flat or shiny and even some times it left a streak of lighter satin finish.

Thinking I had done something wrong, I reapplied it to the back seats and it was just horrible. I ended up using left over mother's leather cleaner and it seemed to fix the issue.

I was disappointed, so I will just go back to separate leather cleaner and conditioner.

Its almost like armor all of old! and it is not friendly to finger prints.

Avoid this - Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner

AbsoluteMayheM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Good to know, thanks for posting. I bought this stuff last year but have never used it. Now I know not to use it.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Thanks for the heads up, I've had good luck with Turtle Wax leather cleaner and conditioner from Walmart. Not greasy and has a nice scent.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Really? I use this stuff on my moms grey cadillac ATS all the time. It was all faded due to the sun and I used it and it put it right back to its original color, all I did was use a microfiber applicator pad and i knocked it down after it was applied with a micro fiber towel. It works great for me! But I did use the pump which was't the spray. So that might be the culprit!
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
linc400

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary convert
Ditto

I used it and it looked like I wiped bacon grease on my seats.
linc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by linc400 View Post
Ditto

I used it and it looked like I wiped bacon grease on my seats.
Exactly!

Old 06-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
mulletman

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Your back seats are vinyl. The front seats are mostly vinyl and the leather is coated with urethane. Using leather products on these surfaces does not work well.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
Your back seats are vinyl. The front seats are mostly vinyl and the leather is coated with urethane. Using leather products on these surfaces does not work well.
Yeah, my moms caddy is actual leather it's not haldpf and half, it looked great!
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #9
TopL3ssSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Am surprised by the negative results. I just used this product on both my Camaro & Grand Cherokee last weekend. The Camaro's door panels had a dry appearance, and was beginning to show scratches. Had always used Armor-All on the Jeep, and wanted to try something different.

Though the Meguair's came in spray, I sprayed it into a microfiber towel, and applied it from there. Took a couple coats to get smooth out splotching, but in the end, the panels & dash came out amazing & didn't leave a greasy residue, and doesn't draw dust like Armor-All.

I saw splotching to start, and wondered myself, until I added a second coat, which smoothed out the finish. Am wondering it you got an even coat.
TopL3ssSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #10
linc400

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary convert
Maybe you like a shiny high gloss finish. But the car came from the factory with satin finish leather, and I do not like anything high gloss on it.
linc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by linc400 View Post
Maybe you like a shiny high gloss finish. But the car came from the factory with satin finish leather, and I do not like anything high gloss on it.
I agree. I am not a fan of shiny/glossy finish. I like clean and natural.

I did try to even out the finish. I added a second coat and still could not get the finish to even out.

And I am typically a fan of Meguair products. The amount of effort to use this product is just not worth it. And I personally did not like the greasy finish it left. Another thing i did not like was the finger print factor as well. That again points to the greasy finish of the product.

*Note - The finger print factor to me .. is when you want to do a wipe off the seats and then drive to a meet or a car show and when you get there say in an hour the product is not dry and leaves finger prints. I found that this took a very long time to dry. Not really wipe and go friendly.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
I use to always use leather conditioner on all my car seats and tried many products,Saddleman,MCg's,Mothers ect but this time I will not use any.

The owners manual says conditioners and cleaners are not required on these seats.

So I guess I will find out if I/they are right in the next few years.
102SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
it works like a champ on mine. and i have white leather. if you dont like it. try lexol
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #14
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
I use the gold class rich leather. Put it on my Silverado first to test and liked it so I did my 2SS vert. Been on both for 3 weeks now and it looks great. Got the pump bottle. sprayed it on a microfibre first and applied it that way.