Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-27-2010, 02:13 AM   #1
bscot968

Drives: '85 Pontiac Trans Am
Z-28 basis

If GM/Chevrolet go ahead with a Z-28 model I believe it must be something very unique, not just drop in a supercharged engine and put new Z-28 badges and stickers on it. I love the design of the new Camaro and think it is a winner with a bright future. The one thing that shocked and disappointed me about the new model, and I believe the area for a Z-28 model must begin with addressing the weight. Lets face facts, a 4,000 lbs. Camaro is a shame. I do understand that new standards for safety will affect the weight bottom line but seriously, 4,000 lbs.! Loosing at least 300-400 lbs. is doable and I believe it would make a Z-28 model truly world class and unique, the positive effects it would have are mouthwatering to consider. I think of the BMW M3 and how the engineers concentrated on weight when designing the chassis for its new V8. The coupe is just north of 3,600 lbs. All who test drive and review are always gushing about it's handling and braking prowess. How do you think adding 400 lbs. would affect things? I do think it is possible and GM/Chevy could use this as a starting point and learning experience that would no doubt carry over to all other models. Now I just think that somehow we need to get Chevrolet to pay attention and send their obese child to fat camp, assemble a small group with this there one goal. Come on Chevrolet, you can cut at least 300-400 lbs., make the Z-28 truly special and world class while using the experience to better all other models.
bscot968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:02 AM   #2
Mark H

Drives: 04 Denali
Weight reduction is very expensive

But Officer, I swear its just a vacuum leak.

Those red things? those are smog pumps!

2004 Sierra Denali ----- 2/4 drop
LSX 438 TWIN TURBO

LSX Block Video
Block number 00370. Build Date 04/17/2007
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:28 AM   #3
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
This thread should of been written about a year ago to matter. Z/28 is a done deal now and don't look for major changes to address weight until about 2015 until it's on it's smaller platform. To get 400lbs out of the current car would cost a truck load of money. Then is would be like the BMW in that it would then cost a truck load of money to buy.
Well hey, at least that would give every something new to bitch about. Besides, the z/28s of the past weren't competing with bmw's top model. That's not what gm is aiming at even though this new one will most likely do just that even with it's extra 400lbs.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
x626xBlack
ARMY of one.

Drives: 2011 Black SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
Weight reduction is very expensive
$1 per pound
http://www.mwlc.com/
x626xBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
how about we go back to solid rear axels? I'm sure that would save a lot of weight. IRS takes a lot of weight. but it's well worth it IMHO. but do as you wish. I'm sure the handling would be better with a lighter camaro. but when the CTS-v is handling as good as it does. . .the weight isn't as big of an issue.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
not going to happen
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
leviticus88
Camaro Owner Soon!

Drives: Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC S2 GMPP
The Corvette Base Coupe and Convertable along with the Grand Sport Coupe and Convertable have steal unibody frames. While the Z06 and ZR1 have aluminum unibody frames and carbon fiber panels.

I think the Camaro should have an option or trim level (Maybe ZL1) that uses an Aluminum unibody frame and more carbon fiber or fiber glass body panels.
leviticus88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
This thread should've been written back in '06... Good ideas - make sense - too expensive - too late - not going to happen.

SRA FTW!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #9
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Look what a CTS-V can do.

Now keep in mind that the Camaro will probably be a good 300 pounds lighter (And possibly slightly more horsepower) than that.

It will perform. Don't worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscot968 View Post
If GM/Chevrolet go ahead with a Z-28 model I believe it must be something very unique, not just drop in a supercharged engine and put new Z-28 badges and stickers on it. I love the design of the new Camaro and think it is a winner with a bright future. The one thing that shocked and disappointed me about the new model, and I believe the area for a Z-28 model must begin with addressing the weight. Lets face facts, a 4,000 lbs. Camaro is a shame. I do understand that new standards for safety will affect the weight bottom line but seriously, 4,000 lbs.! Loosing at least 300-400 lbs. is doable and I believe it would make a Z-28 model truly world class and unique, the positive effects it would have are mouthwatering to consider. I think of the BMW M3 and how the engineers concentrated on weight when designing the chassis for its new V8. The coupe is just north of 3,600 lbs. All who test drive and review are always gushing about it's handling and braking prowess. How do you think adding 400 lbs. would affect things? I do think it is possible and GM/Chevy could use this as a starting point and learning experience that would no doubt carry over to all other models. Now I just think that somehow we need to get Chevrolet to pay attention and send their obese child to fat camp, assemble a small group with this there one goal. Come on Chevrolet, you can cut at least 300-400 lbs., make the Z-28 truly special and world class while using the experience to better all other models.

True .. this is something FORD got right with the Mustang GT ..

Crowley
Old 08-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #11
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
If they could keep the weight of the Z the same as the weight of the SS I would consider it a win.

If they can get the Z to around 3800 lbs even I would call it amazing.

I believe the Z will have a curb weight right around 3900-3950lbs.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
Mark H

Drives: 04 Denali
If I never sat in it than it would loose 220 lbs Lol

But Officer, I swear its just a vacuum leak.

Those red things? those are smog pumps!

2004 Sierra Denali ----- 2/4 drop
LSX 438 TWIN TURBO

LSX Block Video
Block number 00370. Build Date 04/17/2007
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #13
Blue Z28

Drives: Y2K Z28 CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by leviticus88 View Post
The Corvette Base Coupe and Convertable along with the Grand Sport Coupe and Convertable have steal unibody frames. While the Z06 and ZR1 have aluminum unibody frames and carbon fiber panels.

I think the Camaro should have an option or trim level (Maybe ZL1) that uses an Aluminum unibody frame and more carbon fiber or fiber glass body panels.

There has never been a Corvette with a unibody. The current 6th gen Corvette does not have a unibody frame. It has a body mounted on a hyroformed frame. One happens to be made of steel and the other (Z06 & ZR1) is made of aluminum. The engine cradle is made of magneisum.

PS You are are not going to see a bunch of carbon fiber pieces on the Z28 or any other Camaro. GM is going to build the car out of the same materials that the current SS is made of and it is going to be heavier than the already overweight SS. GM is going about their biz the same as they always have. A million people have asked them to add a "track pack" to the option list like the Mustang and they have ignored it. The price tag is going to be in the Corvette Coup neighborhood too. Smart people will go a head and buy the Corvette.
Blue Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:16 AM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscot968 View Post
Why do so many think that's all the Z28 is going to be?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
the z-28 basis.