Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-13-2015, 10:57 PM   #1
tazman

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Upgrading the premium system

I decided I want to upgrade my BA amp and add a sub and from reading on here I see the Alpine PDX-V9 and PDR-F50 are popular. With the PDR-F50 almost half the price of the PDX-V9 I think I will go with that. I was looking around and saw the Lanzar RDA755D which the specs seem way off for it so it is probably better to stay with the Alpine.

I am going to get the FARK kit from Sub Thump and I was debating on getting their box or making my own. If I make my own I have 2 older 8" Cliff Design dual voice coil subs I would try out first to see what they sound like and not glue the front on right away so I could replace the front if I did not like them. I am curious about the Sub Thump box if it fills the whole side of the trunk because they say about cutting the carpet down? I am also curios how they say they can cut a hole for 12" sub that must just barely fit in there! I think a 12" sub is what I would be most happy with.

So does anyone have any experience with the Lanzar amp or the Sub Thump box that they would like to share with me? And the ones who posted in the older threads about the Alpine PDR-F50 are you still happy with the amp?

Thanks
Tom
tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:22 PM   #2
dontlift19

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I went with a two amp setup so I can't help you much on the amp part, but I do have a sub thump box and its a really nice box. The fit is perfect, so good you don't even have to secure it, it just sits there. There is more room behind the carpet in the sides of the trunk so to get the box to slide in all the way you do have to cut the carpet some. But once the box is in you can't tell that the carpet was cut. Here's a pic of mine with a 12" alpine sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dontlift19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:03 AM   #3
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
The PDR-F50 is still performing flawless and operating cool.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:54 AM   #4
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman View Post
...With the PDR-F50 almost half the price of the PDX-V9 I think I will go with that. I was looking around and saw the Lanzar RDA755D which the specs seem way off for it so it is probably better to stay with the Alpine.
"Do not trip over the nickels to save some pennies!"

You can pick up a new V9 as low as $400 with a street price of $450, and it is 4x the amp of the F50 ($250 low, $300 street). Regardless, both (either?) are the preferred choice for stock amp while adding a sub.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
I just went w/ a Alpine PDR-V75... awesome sound... and fits perfectly in the BA spot... and will drive a SW!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:09 AM   #6
Gino_7

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS
For a little more than 300$, I bought these items:

- Pioneer 12" Sub
- Pioneer Amp
- Subwoofer Vented Box
- Amp and Sub Wires/Installation

My car thumps extremely loud with this kit and the quality is on point.

You will also need to purchase a converter because the mylink radio does not have rca plugs.

If you go on amazon you can purchase this converter http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-35-Var.../dp/B001EAWS3W for about $10 right now. All you have to do is splice it into one of the rear factory speakers, then just plug and play. I currently have this with the Boston Acoustics, but you can do it with the stock speakers as well. If you don't want to splice anything, I think there is another converter you can purchase but it costs more upwards towards $60. Either way both of them will sound the same, its just up to you if you want to do the extra work.

Here are some pictures.
Pictures
Gino_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
tazman

Thanks for the response so far. Dontlift that is a great picture of the box. Did you have them cut the bigger hole for the sub or did you do it on your own? Did they do a good job of taking advantage of all of the space back there? I am not sure what 12" I would go with yet but I want to start ordering stuff to get the ball rolling. I think I might of been misunderstanding about cutting the carpet I think now they were talking about the floor and I was thinking they were talking about the side. If it is the floor I would probably just fold it if possible instead of cutting.

I did to much searching last night and realize I made a mistake with the amps. The PDR-F50 is only a 4 channel so my choices are the PDX-V9 or save a little over $100 and go with the PDR-v75 in the Alpine so the savings are not that much. It makes me wonder more about the Lanzar because it is much cheaper. Someone sent me a PM about the JL XD 600/6 but that is more than the PDX-V9 so unless anyone speaks out about the Lanzar I should probably just go with the V9.

Tom
Old 09-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #8
tazman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
"Do not trip over the nickels to save some pennies!"

You can pick up a new V9 as low as $400 with a street price of $450, and it is 4x the amp of the F50 ($250 low, $300 street). Regardless, both (either?) are the preferred choice for stock amp while adding a sub.
In the end I try not to let the money be the deciding factor but I do shop around and try to make good decisions based on all the information I gather.

Thanks
Tom
Old 09-15-2015, 10:42 PM   #9
ZeuSS2011

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS / Black 2013 ZL1
This is the carpet that you need to cut for the side enclosure from sub thump. You keep the end sections and get rid of the middle section.

ZeuSS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #10
tazman

Thanks for the picture Zeus. I was thinking of buying that box but I would like the front of the box to run the full length of the trunk an have as much internal volume as possible.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:28 PM   #11
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman View Post
Thanks for the picture Zeus. I was thinking of buying that box but I would like the front of the box to run the full length of the trunk an have as much internal volume as possible.
if that's the case go to s u b t h u m p . c o m

buy the ported box, well worth it, very big!!
Old 09-18-2015, 08:58 AM   #12
tazman

I can not block off the trunk like that I just want something that will fit on the side. It seems like they put some effort into making their side boxes but I can not understand why they did not make it fit end to end. I am going to pull it apart this weekend and see if I want to make my own box or just go with theirs.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #13
dontlift19

What do you mean by "I can not understand why they did not make it fit end to end." It basically fills up the whole side of the trunk. When I get a chance later I'll take a pic from inside the car with the back seat folded down, maybe that will help you.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:18 PM   #14
dontlift19

Here is from inside the car with the back seat down, you can see that the box extends as far as it possibly could. It's all the way up against the back side of the back seats.