Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Catch Can plumbing question

See the hose that runs from the passenger side valve cover to the intake tube just in front of the throttle body?

Could that or should that be also run through the catch can? It seems to me that this hose will be sucking oil mist and dropping right into the airflow and into the intake. Is it possible to do this and would it reduce oil in the intake?
Old 01-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
bowtie98607

Drives: 12 SS2RS, 73 RS/TypeLT, 68 Vette
If you have the optional breather. Then that hose is blocked off.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie98607 View Post
If you have the optional breather. Then that hose is blocked off.
I wasn't planning on using an optional breather.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
It's the looped hose down low behind your throttle body control about 4" long if it were straight. I'm assuming it is on the lS3. Check the DIY section. packed with photos.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEP RT View Post
It's the looped hose down low behind your throttle body control about 4" long if it were straight. I'm assuming it is on the lS3. Check the DIY section. packed with photos.
Yes, that is where you connect your catch can but I think there is possibly more oil being ingested through the valve cover line that connects to the air tube.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
13 ZL1

Drives: 2013 IOM ZL1
That line is not connected to the catch can. That hose is to allow air in. If you want to prevent oil going into the intake from this line then you need to add the breather. The catch can is put in the line that goes from the valley cover to the intake on the LS3. It is behind and below the hose you have outlined. The hose is U shaped and about 4 inches long and has quick disconnects on it. You should check out SC2150's threads.
13 ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange2SSRS View Post
That line is not connected to the catch can. That hose is to allow air in. If you want to prevent oil going into the intake from this line then you need to add the breather. The catch can is put in the line that goes from the valley cover to the intake on the LS3. It is behind and below the hose you have outlined. The hose is U shaped and about 4 inches long and has quick disconnects on it. You should check out SC2150's threads.
I understand that line is not connected to the catch can and I do know which lines are. My question is should that line also be connected to the can?

The end of that hose is at the front of the throttle body which would be in a vacuum most of the time and sucking whatever is at the other end. Seeing how it is connected to a valve cover and is an oily enviroment wouldn't you think that oil would be ingested through it?

If we install a catch can to keep oil out of the intake, I want to keep all oil out.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
13 ZL1

The simple answer is no. It is possible to pull oil into the intake from this hose. The solution is to get the breather.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Orange is correct.

Proper crankcase evacuation requires not only a evacuation oute and the suction to allow it, but allso there must be a filtered fresh make up air source and that is what that line is. The problem is at WOT there will be some oil ingestion through reversion or back-flow when there is almost no intake manifold vacuum present so the crankcase pressure wants to go somewhere. If you use a standar open breather then you introduce excess unmetered air to the system and your tune goes crazy as the ECU tries to compensate, so the RX breather kit has a flow controlling valve in it calibrated for the size of the motor & the application.

If your car is not driven hard, then the breather may not be a must like it is on a big build or FI application. To see if it does, simply remove that tube and feel for any oil residue between the inlet fitting and the throttle body. If you have oil, the breather will eliminate it.

Thanks Orange for the tech help!
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Thanks everybody
Old 01-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #11
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
Thanks everybody
I have 28k miles on my car and have never seen oil in that hose.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
You have a good sealed motor then. No need for a breather kit if your not getting oil in the front of the TB.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #13
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
You have a good sealed motor then. No need for a breather kit if your not getting oil in the front of the TB.
It sure was having a lot of oil being caught in the catch can on the dirty side though. It may only be half well-sealed.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #14
13 ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
It sure was having a lot of oil being caught in the catch can on the dirty side though. It may only be half well-sealed.

Indeed, I remember a while back you had a filter inline with the output of your catch can. Can you send me a link to that thread?