Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #365
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Drives: Not a Camaro
Bare in mind I am not trying to lose weight, so I have a smidge more flexibility in my diet.

Here are a few days:

Before workout:
1 piece of whole wheat bread
8oz of Trop50 or skim milk
(this is all my stomach can handle before crossfit)

Breakfast:
Either 1 piece of Ezekiel bread with pb, boiled egg, baby carrots
or fritatta (made with 2 whole eggs rest egg white)

On my days off I generally eat scrambled egg/egg whites with turkey sausage

Snack:
Trail mix or almonds and prunes
sometimes an apple too if i'm starving

Lunch:
Either a subway turkey sandwhich, a perfit fit meal from kroger, or left over from the night before

Snack: mashed avocado and ONE serving of chips or apples and cheese or homemade pop corn or other fruit

Dinner:salmon, sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts
or turkey chili or santa fe chicken over quinoa
bbq chicken, veggies on the grill and wild rice
or shrimp stir fry over brown rice.... too many different dinners to post.

Those are just from my last week.
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #366
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet View Post
If this request is redundant I apologize, but
would BB and CFD mind posting a couple days
of your meals. I'm struggling with what to
eat 5 times. I'm thinking 3 reg meals with
snacks in between, but struggling with what
a snack is relative to a meal in size and portion.

If not a days worth, maybe some suggestions?

I'm going to find a couple of things from the
recipes posted here and so I'll have leftovers
for meals. It's that 2nd and 4th time that
I'm struggling with. Also have some challenges
like tonight. Here at 7:30am til 9:00pm and
won't have a structured "dinner" I should probably
look at bringing a frozen meal?

Thanks for you help as always.

This might clearify things a little. When we say five meals a day, it doesn't necessarily mean five full blown meals, it can be 3 meals and two "snacks" if you want. When I say five meals they are concidered meals because they contain a "PROTEIN SOURCE" and a "CARB SOURCE" these two items constitute a meal in my book so that means let's say you had a protein shake, it has whey protein and a simple carb ie your coconut milk, or skim milk etc.. If it was your whey protein mixed with water it would not be a meal, although not techincally a meal as it is solid food but that is why when a meal replacement I would add oatmeal or something along those lines.

Now on food, if you eat a chicken breast on it's own, or a piece of bread or even a donut , they would not be considered meals as they do not have both sources but if you eat the chicken and donut it would be a meal although a very poor one lol.

Now I've posted this before, if you take your greek yogurt and add a small amount of a whole grain cereal, I use Fiber One Original, a little vanilla protein powder it turns it into a meal although most would consider it a snack if this makes sense. lol

Becky, what days and what time is your bootcamp and what meals/shakes do you eat/dring before and after, with this info I can add a little nutrient timing into the equation, this is like fine tunning your diet lol
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #367
CFD

As far as my meals this was yesterdays.

6:00 am Posted oatmeal recipe.

10:00 am 1 slice Ekeikeil bread, 4 hd boioled eggs, 1/2 banana

12:15 Pre workout shake 1/2 cup coconut milk, 2 scoops vanilla whey. 1/2 banana, 5 ice cubes a little water. I drink half of this 15 min before workout and sip the rest during workout

2:oopm 3 high protein meat balls, 3/4 cup white rice

5:00 pm 5 oz baked Salmon, 10 asparagus spears.

7:30 pm small salad with tuna

9:30 pm 2% cottage cheese.

This is pretty much how I eat every day the only difference is I will switch up the "sources" of proteins, carbs and fats in other words instead of salmon I may hace chicken or steak, instead of Asparagus it may be Broccoli but the food groups don't vary much if ever with the exception of cardio days, and carb load days(cheat day) but even then the food groups don't change much just the cals and proportions.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #368
CFD

This is how I always plan my meals and prep the meals I cook in bulk.

I ALWAYS eat my protein so that is priority and my first choice, so I choose a protein source, no exceptions, let's say chicken breast. Now if it's early in the day like for breakfast I choose a complex carb and a simple carb, mid day I choose a starchy complex carb such as sweet potato . Later in the day I choose a fiberous complex carb such as green beans.

Pre/post workout shake is always protein and simple carb. No complex carbs or fat. Fat and carbs added to the shake slows down the digestion of it making it less effective. Ore/post workout are the only times I eat a high glycemic meal/drink.

I believe in eating all food groups so I eat them when they are of the most benefit and more likely to be used as fuel and not stored for fat (nutrient timing)
Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #369
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhunley14 View Post
Or lipo lol

Don't think I haven't thought about it. I could use some of that mod $ for Me instead of Ruby. If they ever mastered the art of rearranging fat & I could take it from places I don't want it & add it to ......................uh, better places, I just might have to go for it! But I have had enough surgeries in my life. I can do without another "proceedure" for now.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #370
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Don't think I haven't thought about it. I could use some of that mod $ for Me instead of Ruby. If they ever mastered the art of rearranging fat & I could take it from places I don't want it & add it to ......................uh, better places, I just might have to go for it! But I have had enough surgeries in my life. I can do without another "proceedure" for now.

NO, NO, NO. Work for it, the rewards are much greater.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #371
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
CFD maybe you can pull it up and post it since I cant seem to be able too. There is a good writeup on Bodybuilding.com . Penny Protein: Protein Rich meals on a budget.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #372
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE View Post
CFD maybe you can pull it up and post it since I cant seem to be able too. There is a good writeup on Bodybuilding.com . Penny Protein: Protein Rich meals on a budget.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/penn...-a-budget.html
Old 01-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #373
CFD

We can post recipies all day long, which is fine because it simplifies things but read the ingredients. Almost every fat loss/muscle gaining recipie that has been posted all use similar nutrient ratios and all use, be it different in combination, the same foods. Once you see and understand this regardless of if you're cooking yourself or choosing from a menu,coming up with top notch meals becomes a piece of cake. Uh Oh, hope that didn't trigger a craving in anyone, if it did your punishment is ten push-ups lol.

by Vince Del MonteJan 09, 2013
Almost all books and articles you read about eating healthy on a low budget will tell you that protein foods cost the most money. This can be pretty discouraging when you're trying to come up with high-protein meals to eat before or after a workout.
Fortunately, those books and articles are only partly correct. They deem proteins the most costly part of a food budget because they look almost exclusively at meats. It's a protein-rich world, folks! It's time to pound some alternative protein sources.
The key to eating a high-protein diet on a low-protein budget is to get strategic. Skimp on the packaged protein foods like bars and shakes, and use proteins other than meats to stretch the meat you do use. Know what you're looking for when you go to the store, so you can do price comparisons and recognize a smokin' deal when you see one.
Once you've got the hang of targeted food shopping, it requires far less work than you might expect. Plus, you'll see the difference in your checking account right away.
It's Not All About Steaks And Chops ///
There are plenty high-quality protein sources that don't cost a lot of money. Your grandparents or other relatives who grew up during the Great Depression knew this; your baby boomer parents probably forgot it. If times are lean now, then you need to pick your staples wisely. Let's meet the new all-stars.
If you haven't already started eating quinoa, you should. Quinoa is actually a seed, but it's easy to use in place of grain-based foods like pasta, rice, and oatmeal. It still has a lot of carbs, about 62 g per half-cup. Yet that same half-cup is packed with 10 g of protein, far more than other carb sources.
Quinoa is also relatively cheap, given how hip it has become in recent years. You can buy a one-pound bag of organic quinoa at the grocery store for about $5, or less if you hit the bulk bin—which you should. That'll make about five half-cup servings. Five servings of organic steak or chicken would cost significantly more.
One of the great things about quinoa is that it can be used in both savory and sweet recipes. With a little sweetening or some fruit, it makes a great dessert or hot cereal. A handful of it can add protein and texture to a salad, and it's a perfect ingredient for healthy baking.
Greek yogurt is another food that should be in any high-protein diet. One cup delivers as much as 14 g of protein, which is twice what you'll find in other yogurts. Greek yogurt typically has much less sugar, but make sure to read the label to confirm. In general, fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt has a good deal of sugary syrup and is best avoided. Stick with vanilla, honey, or plain yogurt and add other ingredients on your own.
You've probably heard this before, but it's always worth repeating that eggs are the ultimate low-budget staple. One egg costs about 10 cents and has about 4-6 g of protein. If you're watching your fat and cholesterol, two egg whites have no fat or cholesterol and 7-10 g of protein.
If you can, find someone who raises chickens, and you might be able to get an even better-tasting egg for even cheaper.
Stretch The Meat You Eat ///
One way to eat meat protein on a budget is to use recipes that feature meat more as a flavor than as the star of the meal. Stir-fry, soups, and wraps all do this, and they're also all great ways to use any vegetables about to turn bad. Remember: Food tossed is money lost.
Another trick: Buy what's on sale and plan your meals around that, rather than planning a meal and then buying the ingredients at full price. If you've got space in your house or apartment, a small chest freezer can help you squeeze more than one meal out of a bulk buy. The freezer will pay for itself in no time, especially if you can find someone who is moving and needs to get rid of one for cheap.

While we're talking freezers, meat is the perfect item to buy big and freeze. For instance, boneless, skinless chicken breasts can be purchased at wholesale stores like Costco in packages of 8.5 pounds for about $25. This is a lot of lean protein that can be used in a variety of recipes and cooked ahead so your meals are ready and the temptation to eat out is eliminated. Even if you don't have a Costco membership, trust me, you know someone who does.
Lean ground turkey should also be on your menu somewhere. It is low in fat, high in protein, and can be purchased in bulk packages for $15 or less for 6 pounds of meat. I can't even begin to list all the ways you can use it, but one that springs to mind—no recipe necessary—is a lightning-fast batch of turkey tacos cooked up with onion and cumin, then topped with avocado.
Borrow From Somewhere Else In Your Budget ///
Do you have to drink an expensive coffee? Do you really need to buy your veggies cut, washed, and bagged, or can you prep them yourself to save money? How much more grocery money will you have if you skip eating out at lunchtime? Take a look at your food budget and see where you can redistribute the wealth.
The most important thing to remember is that if you can't afford much, what you buy needs to be as high-quality and as nutritious as possible. Scour the Internet for tricks to make healthy foods like vegetables last longer in the fridge. As for cheap food that's filling but lacks nutrition, you know it's a waste of money. So maybe the time has come draw the line.
This means more cooking for you, but I think you're up to the task. Here are some great-tasting recipes that cost little money, are easy to prepare in 30 minutes or less, and pack a nice dose of protein.
1 /Chicken and Peppers with Brown Rice

This recipe gives you some of the flavors of your favorite takeout, but without all the fat, salt, and dough (both literal and metaphorical). This takes about 20 minutes to cook—less if you cook the rice ahead—and will cost a whopping $6 or so for two big servings.
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Prepare brown rice in the microwave per package instructions, adding 1/2 teaspoon salt before cooking.
  2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken breast and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the black pepper. Sauté chicken, stirring occasionally, for five minutes.
  3. Add onion, red pepper, garlic and curry powder and cook for another five minutes.
  4. Combine chicken broth and cornstarch in a covered plastic container, shake well and add all at once to skillet. Cook, stirring constantly, for about two minutes or until smooth and thickened.
  5. To serve, spoon 1 cup cooked rice onto a plate and top with half of the chicken and peppers.
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size Makes 2 servings

Amount per serving
Calories 520
Total Fat7g (1.5g sat)
Total Carbs77g
Protein35g

2 /Quinoa and Yogurt Parfait

This recipe is great for breakfast, but it also makes a nice snack or dessert. You can cook the quinoa the night before if you're having this for breakfast. Just reheat it in the microwave for about one minute before you put the parfait together.
The total cost for two servings is only about $3.50, and potentially significantly less if you buy the ingredients in bulk.
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Cook quinoa according to package directions. Cover to keep warm.
  2. Peel apple and pear and cut into chunks. (You can leave the peel on if you prefer.) In a small bowl, toss fruit chunks with Stevia and cinnamon. Microwave, uncovered, for one minute.
  3. Spoon 1/4 cup quinoa each into the bottoms of two bowls or dessert dishes. Add 1/4 of the fruit and then 1/4 cup Greek yogurt. Add another 1/4 cup of quinoa to each dish, and another 1/4 cup yogurt. Top with remaining fruit and serve.
  4. Makes two servings.
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size Per serving

Amount per serving
Calories 403
Total Fat7.8g (3 g saturated)
Total Carbs33g
Protein19g

3 /Open-Face Florentine Omelet Sandwich

Breakfast is an important meal. If you've been skipping it because you don't have time, try this recipe. It takes about five minutes to make and it will provide the energy you need to start the day.
This big breakfast cost about $1.50 to make and is great for lunch or a quick dinner too.
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the spinach to the skillet and cook, stirring often, for two minutes.
  2. Add eggs to the pan and cook, stirring frequently for about one minute or until just starting to set. Add the cottage cheese, salt and pepper and cook for another 1-2 minutes until eggs are done.
  3. To serve, place toast on a plate and divide egg mixture between the two slices. Makes one serving.
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size Per serving

Amount per serving
Calories 353
Total Fat17g (4.2 sat)
Total Carbs29g
Protein27.5g

4 /Chicken Hummus Wrap

This wrap is a great quick lunch that travels well, so you can take it to work or the gym. It's a versatile recipe; add any fresh vegetables you might have on hand to bulk it up and add more fiber.
The cost is only about $2.50, and equally important, it'll keep you out of the deli.
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Place romaine lettuce leaves in a shallow bowl of ice water for about five minutes to crisp them.
  2. In a small bowl, combine hummus and cumin, mixing well. Add the apple and stir to blend well.
  3. Lay one lettuce leaf lengthwise on a clean surface, with the widest edge closest to you. Lay three pieces of chicken breast onto the lettuce, then spoon half of the hummus mixture in a mound about two inches in from the edge.
  4. Roll up burrito-style and repeat with the remainder. Makes two wraps for one serving.
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size Per serving

Amount per serving
Calories 283
Total Fat6g (1.4 g sat)
Total Carbs29g
Protein29g

Chicken Hummus Wrap PDF (14 KB)

5 /Peach Protein Smoothie

This smoothie harnesses the protein power of Greek yogurt to make a sweet snack or breakfast. It takes about a minute to make and it tastes as good as anything you'll get at a smoothie bar, for a lot less money. This can be made for about $2, or less if you find frozen peaches on sale.
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. In a blender, combine the yogurt, peaches and flax seed and blend until smooth. Add the ice and blend again until thick and smooth. Makes one serving.
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size Per serving

Amount per serving
Calories 185
Total Fat1g
Total Carbs26g
Protein16g

Old 01-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #374
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
This might clearify things a little. When we say five meals a day, it doesn't necessarily mean five full blown meals, it can be 3 meals and two "snacks" if you want. When I say five meals they are concidered meals because they contain a "PROTEIN SOURCE" and a "CARB SOURCE" these two items constitute a meal in my book so that means let's say you had a protein shake, it has whey protein and a simple carb ie your coconut milk, or skim milk etc.. If it was your whey protein mixed with water it would not be a meal, although not techincally a meal as it is solid food but that is why when a meal replacement I would add oatmeal or something along those lines.

Now on food, if you eat a chicken breast on it's own, or a piece of bread or even a donut , they would not be considered meals as they do not have both sources but if you eat the chicken and donut it would be a meal although a very poor one lol.

Now I've posted this before, if you take your greek yogurt and add a small amount of a whole grain cereal, I use Fiber One Original, a little vanilla protein powder it turns it into a meal although most would consider it a snack if this makes sense. lol

Becky, what days and what time is your bootcamp and what meals/shakes do you eat/dring before and after, with this info I can add a little nutrient timing into the equation, this is like fine tunning your diet lol

Mon/Wed/Fri Boot camp 6:00am done at 7:00 on those days I'll have a protein shake (1scoop w/coconut milk 8oz) after. I can't eat before, I'll barf
Then at work around 10:00 I like my yogurt. I wish it was a little more filling, but it's manageable. Lunch around 1:00. The rest of the afternoon is a challenge. I need a snack about 4:00, but on Monday I won't get home til 10:00pm and Wed/Fri til 7:00. This is where leftovers can come in handy.

Tues and Thurs - 6:00 breakfast I like the Active Lifestyle instant oatmeal -
170 cal 8g Protein 28G carbs 3.5 fat. I have added a banana or sometimes more raisins. I don't think this is a terrible choice, but I need to balance the carbs out somewhere else. Mid morning and lunch stay about the same as other days. Again I'm challenged in the late afternoon and evenings. Tues I'm home at 7:00 and Thurs 10:00pm.

I need a balance of cooking and grab it and go food. Suggestions GREATLY appreciated.
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #375
CFD

Quote:
Mon/Wed/Fri Boot camp 6:00am done at 7:00 on those days I'll have a protein shake (1scoop w/coconut milk 8oz) after. I can't eat before, I'll barf
Then at work around 10:00 I like my yogurt. I wish it was a little more filling, but it's manageable. Lunch around 1:00. The rest of the afternoon is a challenge. I need a snack about 4:00, but on Monday I won't get home til 10:00pm and Wed/Fri til 7:00. This is where leftovers can come in handy.

170 cal 8g Protein 28G carbs 3.5 fat. I have added a banana or sometimes more raisins. I don't think this is a terrible choice, but I need to balance the carbs out somewhere else. Mid morning and lunch stay about the same as other days. Again I'm challenged in the late afternoon and evenings. Tues I'm home at 7:00 and Thurs 10:00pm.

I need a balance of cooking and grab it and go food. Suggestions GREATLY appreciated.
Ok. It would be good if you could drink your shake about 20 min before your boot camp, if not that's fine. It seems the yogurt is a staple in your diet which is great , I've mentioned this before but try this, take with you your yogurt, take a quarter cup of a whole grain cereal, I use Fiber One Original, it has a decent ingredient list but any without added sugars, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP or anything hydrogenated. That eliminates most of what is on your grocery stores shelf, lol a quarter scoop of vanilla protein powder and a quarter cup blueberries or strawberries.This will make your yogurt a meal. It has a good amount of protein, berries, excellent source of antioxidans, complex carbs (ceriel) and fiber. Mix it all together when you're ready to eat and it will keep you full for a while and is perfect for an early day meal. If you look closely at your diet, you will notice that up untill 1:00 pm you have not eaten any complex carbs, it is better to eat them earlier in the day so the above recipie takes care of that as well.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #376
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
So lunch today is Boston Market 1/4 white chicken meal with
steamed vegetables and caesar side salad. Just looked up
the dressing too much fat Good thing
it's on the side I like romain lettuce so no dressing won't
kill me.

total calories 440

I won't know the total protein/carb/fat til the end of the day. At least
I recognized the dressing was WAY too much fat
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #377
Mouse6.2

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 NPP
BeckyD yes that is for four in the house.
Mouse6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #378
CFD

Quote:
R

Stop thinking leftovers and think previously prepared meals or frozen dinners YOU make.

Ok maybe this is what you need, I'm gonna tell you what to do lol. Next time you go shopping do not come home without these.

Perdue perfect portion chicken breasts, plain
eggs plenty of them (I use about 3-4 dozen weekly)
Oatmeal plain 1 minute is ok
strawberries and or blueberries
greek yogurt
slivered almonds
your choice of a whole grain cereal as described in the above post or just get the Fiber One Oiginal.
Any or all of Whole Grain Brown Rice, sweet potatoes, whole grain pasta, Quinoa.
Ezeikeil bread and or Joseph's Pita I listed a few post's back.
Any or all fiberous veggies such as Broccoli, green beans, asparagus, brussel sprouts etc. etc.
any kind of salt free all spice or seasoning.
Apple
Salsa all natural
These will become habit you should always have this on hand reason being in a matter of minutes you can make/prepare balanced meals. These are basics, you can add or delite and substitute some items but keep them as close as possible.

Next session I will show you how to be prepared at all times