Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 03-26-2008, 09:05 PM   #43
Mike88

Drives: 94 Camaro, 05 Magnum
i wonder how many of you guys have seen GM's latest ploy in terms of so-called 'Canadian price adjustments'. They're offering thousands of dollars off on vehicles when they are purchased with cash. For example, you get $11,000 back on an 08 Corvette when you purchase the car flat out with no monthly payments. However, if you're like 95% of the rest of buyers and you plan to finance or lease the vehicle you get absolutely nothing off the cost. And they offer you 0% financing so you know most ppl are going to finance or lease it at that rate...but they market the whole thing as being responsive to the Canadian dollar fluctuations...that's obviously bull because who has the ability to put that kind of cash down on a vehicle?!?!
Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:40 PM   #44
Maddog78

Drives: 1969 Z28
I haven't needed financing the last 5 vehicles or so but I realise I'm not a typical buyer. That is why it was easy and worth it for me to buy my 911 in the US. For someone in my circumstances (cash buyer) it makes no sense at all to buy a car in Canada right now.
I read that around %75 of new cars in Canada are dealer financed or leased, so these people have no choice but to buy in Canada. That means they have nearly a captive market and really don't have to make many big changes until the competitors do. Car sales were strong in Canada last month so I don't think they will do much more. Another big issue is residual value in returning leases. These cars are now worth far less than they thought they would be.
Hard to work those things through the accounting system.

I agree it's a joke. They've had time to get used to the dollar at parity.
I hope for the best by the time the Camaro comes out.
I mean, the damn thing will be built here, why should we be ripped off for trying to support the home team?
Maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #45
Mike88

all our worries may be pointless...RBC predicts the loonie will fall back below 90 cents US.

http://finance.sympatico.msn.ca/bank...mentid=6682942
Old 04-04-2008, 06:32 PM   #46
Maddog78

Yeah, it's a long ways to go yet before we reach the point where we can actually hand over money and get car.
We'll see what happens with pricing and exchange rates.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #47
Maddog78

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...5f936f&k=45014

This could make it easier for a lot of different cars to come in.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #48
Mike88

I was on the transport Canada website the other day and you should see the list of cars we cannot import from the US due to bumper issues. There's a long list than can be imported with modifications to the bumpers, and another list that we cannot import at all...like the GTO.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:13 AM   #49
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^^Well THAT'S messed up. Can't bring in a GTO...why the heck not??
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #50
Maddog78

The bumpers on the inadmissible cars do not meet Transport Canada regs.
I believe the standard in the US is 2.5mph and in Canada it is 5mph.
This may change, as this story says.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:19 PM   #51
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post
I was on the transport Canada website the other day and you should see the list of cars we cannot import from the US due to bumper issues. There's a long list than can be imported with modifications to the bumpers, and another list that we cannot import at all...like the GTO.
Haha, thats changed now! you can bring whatever is in the US, into Canada now! There's already a GTO in Stoon, and some Evo tooners too.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:40 AM   #52
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
Haha, thats changed now! you can bring whatever is in the US, into Canada now! There's already a GTO in Stoon, and some Evo tooners too.
I didn't quite believe you so I checked and there isn't anything that says you can't bring in a GTO. Interesting . . .
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:21 PM   #53
Mike88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
you're right...i just checked the site and there are no restrictions on certain vehicles anymore. This is huge and just in time for the launch of the Camaro for all of us who are considering importing one.

you can check out the list of admissible vehicles here http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/impor...list/VAFUS.pdf from here http://www.riv.ca/english/html/us_ve...ssibility.html

this just made my day! Maybe I'll bring up a GTO or even a Corvette...a few weeks ago I built a US Corvette at the american website...$49,000 US compared to something like $68,000 Canadian
Old 08-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #54
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
GM is funny with their exporting policies. As of right now, you can take any Chevrolet product across the Canadian border EXCEPT the Corvette. GM feels that they can make the money off these cars anywhere and so they do. The only way around that is to register and drive the vehicle in the states for 3 months or 3,000 miles and then transfer the registration to Canada. OR you can have someone down here buy the car and then sell it to you as "used".
GM will not allow ANYTHING to go overseas as "new". I have a customer who buys Corvettes from me and exports them to unnamed countries overseas. He told me that a used 08 Vette that he can buy here for $40K or $50K he can sell back home for $250K USD. Granted, he has to pay a 28% tax when he exports, but he still makes huge profits.
Back on topic here...I wouldn't be surprised if the Camaro goes on the same list as the Vette when it comes to exporting to Canada. So I say make some friends in the states that you could trust with $40K and then buy your self a used Camaro!
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:23 PM   #55
Mike88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsenn View Post
GM is funny with their exporting policies. As of right now, you can take any Chevrolet product across the Canadian border EXCEPT the Corvette. GM feels that they can make the money off these cars anywhere and so they do. The only way around that is to register and drive the vehicle in the states for 3 months or 3,000 miles and then transfer the registration to Canada. OR you can have someone down here buy the car and then sell it to you as "used".
GM will not allow ANYTHING to go overseas as "new". I have a customer who buys Corvettes from me and exports them to unnamed countries overseas. He told me that a used 08 Vette that he can buy here for $40K or $50K he can sell back home for $250K USD. Granted, he has to pay a 28% tax when he exports, but he still makes huge profits.
Back on topic here...I wouldn't be surprised if the Camaro goes on the same list as the Vette when it comes to exporting to Canada. So I say make some friends in the states that you could trust with $40K and then buy your self a used Camaro!
I don't believe GM has any say in what vehicles are allowed and not allowed to be exported/imported to Canada. They may be able to annul warranties or not honour them in the receiving country, but they can't tell you what you can bring across the border...that is the role of the government. And up till now the Corvette was one of the vehicles not admissable into Canada as a result of bumper/crash standards...although it looks like new regulations have reversed this, and now we can import all the Vettes sold new in the US that we like. I could be wrong...but I really don't think what your saying is true.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:18 AM   #56
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I thought that new cars in the states couldn't be sold to Canadians? We can buy used cars down there, but they can't sell us new.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote