Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: the new z28 should have a....
twin turbo v6 75 30.00%
superchared v8 175 70.00%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #15
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
how many polls are we going to have on the Z's powertrain? I mean seriously. hell why does it have to have FI? because that's the only way to make power? well we'll see what it is when they decide to talk about it finally. but I'm not voting on this poll. It doesn't cover an NA appication. and it could be NA.
ur scurred too...

LOL

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #16
rudack
Rudack

Drives: ABM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to rudack Send a message via MSN to rudack
By 2016 all cars produced need to meet the new government fuel mileage requirements. My guess is we will see a V6 turbo being the new Z28 by then. Who knows I would love to rock a v8 z28 but it being 2010 and all with 6 years to go, GM needs to make some changes.
ABM 2SS/RS #33390
rudack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #17
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
scardy cat....

you afraid of a little boost???
being scared of a little boost or thinking we don't need it to get the performance we need. . .I want to see the DI engine. I want to know specs on it and then I can tell you if the FI is even worth it in my eyes. give me 500+ DI where I can upgrade it to FI later on.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #18
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudack View Post
By 2016 all cars produced need to meet the new government fuel mileage requirements. My guess is we will see a V6 turbo being the new Z28 by then. Who knows I would love to rock a v8 z28 but it being 2010 and all with 6 years to go, GM needs to make some changes.
what's the cafe go up to 35 mpg? they are set to meet it.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #19
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
scardy cat....

Ohhhhh no he didnt......

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #20
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Just curious about what you think will make this car lighter? Adding a turbo, intercooler, piping and a beefed up suspension is going to add quite a bit of weight...... There is roughly only a 70 pound difference between a LS and a 1SS
http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro/features-specs/
Thanks for pointing that out
Lightest Camaro V6 is 3728lbs The SS is 3849lbs
so at most 121lbs less + turbo's , pipes and IC ...

So the only advantage is High MPG , whooo
Thats should seel the deal LSA and have us a GT500 fighter !

Now IF the V6 could be 200-300 lbs LESS than a SS and have alot of HP head-room we might have something .
Old 11-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #21
rudack
Rudack

Drives: ABM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to rudack Send a message via MSN to rudack
35 mpg.
ABM 2SS/RS #33390
rudack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:47 PM   #22
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Just curious about what you think will make this car lighter? Adding a turbo, intercooler, piping and a beefed up suspension is going to add quite a bit of weight...... There is roughly only a 70 pound difference between a LS and a 1SS
And how much of that do the 4-pot (times four...) Brembos cost? How much more do the rest of the SS chassis improvements cost? It goes on and on...

Quote:
scardy cat....

you afraid of a little boost???
Doubtful

Quote:
how many polls are we going to have on the Z's powertrain? I mean seriously. hell why does it have to have FI? because that's the only way to make power? well we'll see what it is when they decide to talk about it finally. but I'm not voting on this poll. It doesn't cover an NA appication. and it could be NA.
Even though I had to stand up with my LSA brothers

Quote:
ur scurred too...

LOL

Quote:
being scared of a little boost or thinking we don't need it to get the performance we need. . .I want to see the DI engine. I want to know specs on it and then I can tell you if the FI is even worth it in my eyes. give me 500+ DI where I can upgrade it to FI later on.
Grr... Consider starting with a 500 horse' D.I. 6.2. Then, consider adding 6-8 psi of boost through your TVS 2300, Whipple/KB, or Procharger/Vortech and think where RWHP will be... 575 - 600 RWHP with little worry or durability?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt55 View Post
Thanks for pointing that out
Lightest Camaro V6 is 3728lbs The SS is 3849lbs
so at most 121lbs less + turbo's , pipes and IC ...

So the only advantage is High MPG , whooo
Thats should seel the deal LSA and have us a GT500 fighter !

Now IF the V6 could be 200-300 lbs LESS than a SS and have alot of HP head-room we might have something .
Um - I'm with stupid (j/k - about the stupid-thing). Exactly. Right now, for what we know, this is what I'm thinking. Show me something else, and I'll reconsider. Still, I'm sure we're still a few years away; a lot can happen by then

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #23
jcamaro
Obsessed Much?

Drives: 2015 Silver 1SS/RS M6
The 35mpg requirement for 2016 is a fleet average. So Chevy can have many cars over, and some under. That being said by 2016 the gas guzzler tax will probably be appled to vehicles with 30 or less mpg.

Oh, and I voted V6 turbo.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #24
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Z28 should never have anything less then 8 cylinders in it. And my opinion is not a biased one, i have a v6
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #25
ctk1
Camarofanatic

Drives: 1969 SS, 1998 RS, 2010 VR 2SS/RS
Quote:
They could start by losing the 20" wheels. Carbon Fiber or composite hood, trunklind, maybe doors. Have a smaller stereo setup. Lose the foglights. There are alot of places where they could save a little weight here and there and it would really add up. It dosen't even have to be that much lighter. Just develop a trackpack for the car to make it handle better.
And why are you comparing it to the SS? The Z28 was a roadcourse screamer, the SS was a dragstrip car, and the ZL1 was just a total beast.
ctk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:04 PM   #26
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk1 View Post
They could start by losing the 20" wheels. Carbon Fiber or composite hood, trunklind, maybe doors. Have a smaller stereo setup. Lose the foglights. There are alot of places where they could save a little weight here and there and it would really add up. It dosen't even have to be that much lighter. Just develop a trackpack for the car to make it handle better.
And why are you comparing it to the SS? The Z28 was a roadcourse screamer, the SS was a dragstrip car, and the ZL1 was just a total beast.
And how much is this going to cost?... The clearcoat the ZR1 uses on it's exposed CF lanels is something like $60K a gallon, or something crazy like that. Who would buy this stripper if it cost at least the same as a 2SS? More crash testing costs $$$. IMO, I can't see this happening. At the same time, who's to say if they make Z28, in whatever combination, and it cost $46K, how many of these would they sell? That's a lot for a Camaro.

I think we're chasing our tails...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #27
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
When it comes to making a choice between a supercharged V8 and a TTV6 I will pick the TT, but I understand the want for a V8 in a Z28, I would love it too, just not a big monster. A smaller, fuel efficient, autocross tuned V8 would be best in my mind, it would satisfy those who want a V8 but is still lighter and more suited for road racing, something large displacement engines are not built for.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #28
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Quote:
I feel that the twin turbo V6 with the weight savings and handling package of Jay Leno's car would be the perfect Z28
Because you said "weight savings" If you were not comparing it to the SS what are you comparing it to? If you are comparing it to a stock V6 then I highly doubt there is any savings...... I would be willing to bet the Leno V6 actually weighs more then a stock LS.

Last edited by ShnOmac; 11-06-2009 at 06:17 PM.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote