Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #1
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Boxing - Great Rounds

Former boxer and long time boxing history lover, I have out together a bucnh of great rounds for your perusal:

Marvelous Marvin Hagler vs. Sugar Ray Leonard - Round 9 (1987)
An amazing round in a controversial fight, love this round. How you scored this round was how you scored the fight IMO:
http://youtu.be/G5jUDE9mIXM?t=7m3s

Iran "The Blade" Barkley vs. Thomas "Hit Man" Hearns - Round 3 (1988)
Thomas Hearns had challenger Iran Barkley cut and hurt badly to the body as early as round 1. From NOWHERE Barkley uncorks a right hand in the 3rd round and the fight is over! Saw this live, was shocked:
http://youtu.be/7GBbLUkQn2s?t=12m40s

Roberto Duran vs. Davey Moore - Round 7-8 (1983)
A young and inexperienced champion takes on a living legend and Duran in Madison Square Garden has one of his best nights. Brutal, and the crowd loves Duran even though Moore is from the Bronx::
http://youtu.be/yGTlQsjzmWU?t=20m50s

Roberto Duran vs. Iran Barkley - Round 11 (1989)
Ok, so you have seen both Duran and Barkley, but how about against each other?

Considered finished and washed up (again) Duran summons one of his best fights and takes the title away from Barkley largely on a wonderful 11th round. What a combination to put Barkley down, and again, the crowd (snowed in!) were wild for Duran. Side note, watched this fight snowed in with my Mom live, maybe our best time together:
http://youtu.be/knjh-ucbrKg?t=56m5s

Mike Tyson vs. Tyrell Biggs - Between Rounds 6-7 and Round 7 (1987)
I know Mike Tyson is a joke now, but as a boxing fan (and have seen well over 1000 fights dating back to 1920) I can tell you he was one of the best ever at his prime. Kevin Rooney was his coach and it was amazing. In this section against Biggs you hear Rooney telling Mike "those 7's were beautiful. Now 6-5-1. 6-5-2-1" which is their jargon for punch combos. It's over the next round:
http://youtu.be/LpH7jVPT_Zc?t=27m11s

Enjoy!
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:17 PM   #2
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Must include Haggler vs. Hearns

and

Mickey Ward vs. Arturo Gatti (pick any round!)

and

Roy Jones Jr. knocking out Virgil Hill with a body blow!?!?
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
CamaroLoco

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro SS
Excellent fights...I saw all them!
There's been so many over the years.
Duran vs Buchanan when he took the title with a groin shot.
Bobby Chacon vs Cornelius Boza Edwards
Danny Little Red Lopez vs everybody but I especially loved the 4th round knock out of Sean O'Grady.
Salvador Sanchez vs Wilfredo Gomez
Those are going back to when I was a kid. The 80's, 90's had some really historic fights. I'm a big fan...got into a lot of fist fights and thought I'd try boxing....got my nose broke as well as a fractured eye orbit....that was the end of that....heck, I'll take a fist all day long but 8, 10oz gloves? Man, boxing jacked me up more than any fist fight I was ever in!
I'm a pay per view boxer now!
CamaroLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroLoco View Post
Excellent fights...I saw all them!
There's been so many over the years.
Duran vs Buchanan when he took the title with a groin shot.
Bobby Chacon vs Cornelius Boza Edwards
Danny Little Red Lopez vs everybody but I especially loved the 4th round knock out of Sean O'Grady.
Salvador Sanchez vs Wilfredo Gomez
Those are going back to when I was a kid. The 80's, 90's had some really historic fights. I'm a big fan...got into a lot of fist fights and thought I'd try boxing....got my nose broke as well as a fractured eye orbit....that was the end of that....heck, I'll take a fist all day long but 8, 10oz gloves? Man, boxing jacked me up more than any fist fight I was ever in!
I'm a pay per view boxer now!
Oh wow! You are a true fan and historian!

I saw Sanchez vs Gomez, man there was so much Mexico vs Puerto Rico hate on that!

Did you see Carlos Zarate vs Alfonso Zamorra? Great fight too.

Duran was winning that fight handily anyway, but yeah, crappy way for it to end on a low blow.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Old 09-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
aurora

Drives: 2015 Black ZL1; 2012 Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
Must include Haggler vs. Hearns

and

Mickey Ward vs. Arturo Gatti (pick any round!)

and

Roy Jones Jr. knocking out Virgil Hill with a body blow!?!?
Yeah, I like the ones you mentioned above. Too bad about what happened to Gatti.

Call me a total nerd, but I guess I am still very intrigued by the old Cassius Clay and George Foreman fight where he used the rope-a dope tactic because he knew he couldn't win otherwise. That was Rumble in the Jungle. My dad makes me watch the old ones, lol!

I haven't seen a fight for a while actually, last one was probably a Klitschko fight, or perhaps that Mayweather fight where he came unglued on Larry Merchant!!
aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
USMCSSGT-RET

Drives: '14 SIM 2LT/RS Vert
I made a sandwich for Marvelous Marvin in the late 90's at Subway in South Chicago!
Old 09-20-2014, 09:08 PM   #7
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCSSGT-RET View Post
I made a sandwich for Marvelous Marvin in the late 90's at Subway in South Chicago!
NO WAY!!!!!

Old 09-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #8
Muscle Car Lover

probably the best fight, start to finish I ever saw, was Aaron Pryor vs Alexis Arguello I from 1982 in Miami. Two fighters in prime at top of their game. Sad there were questions about Pryor maybe taking stimulants. I spent an evening with Arguello (RIP) at a charity boxing event years ago and he would have none of it. He said he lost fair and square, I am not so sure.

See this right hand in the 13th round (41:40 mark of video) where Pryor's head hits his own back and the guy don't even blink????? When I boxed I hit a few people like this and they all were knockouts on the spot. Anyways:

Old 09-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #9
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Lover View Post
Mike Tyson vs. Tyrell Biggs - Between Rounds 6-7 and Round 7 (1987) I know Mike Tyson is a joke now, but as a boxing fan (and have seen well over 1000 fights dating back to 1920) I can tell you he was one of the best ever at his prime. Kevin Rooney was his coach and it was amazing.
I've always loved the heavyweights and watched Tyson his entire career. No one could hit harder than him and I loved the way he knocked guys out with body shots. Sadly, once Cus and Rooney were out of his life (and King came into it)... Mike lost his mind and his heart. Otherwise, I believe he was on his way to being the best heavyweight EVER.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #10
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I've always loved the heavyweights and watched Tyson his entire career. No one could hit harder than him and I loved the way he knocked guys out with body shots. Sadly, once Cus and Rooney were out of his life (and King came into it)... Mike lost his mind and his heart. Otherwise, I believe he was on his way to being the best heavyweight EVER.
TRUTH!!!

I have seen every heavyweight title or contender fight since 1920. Tyson was the best I have ever seen until he left the people that cared about him the most. Sad really.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:35 PM   #11
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCSSGT-RET View Post

I think this just became my favorite celebrity encounter story.

Sent from my Nokia Brick using Tapatalk
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #12
LostPony

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
Diego Corrales VS Jose Luis Castillo May 7, 2005. One of the best fights in my opinion, and the wrong man won. Diego repeatedly spit his mouth piece out to buy more time, and when he went down for the last time he spit it out and the ref should have called it. But Diego was allowed to get up and he put a vicious combination on Castillo and the fight was stopped. I raged for days over that one!

Great fights are very rare these days as most only care about their record, and a loss sets them back so far. In the better days of boxing, a loss was just that, a loss. You weren't suddenly shut out and had to rebuild from scratch. Another problem is too many titles to fight for, WBO, WBC, Ring magazine, ABC, XYZ blah blah blah…..

Oh, almost forgot my favorite fight EVER! Marco Antonio Barrera taking Prince Naseem Hamed to school! I HATED Naseem, and the way Marco beat him made Marco one of my favorite fighters of all time.

And of course we all loved the Gatti v Ward fights. The first and the 3rd fight were just great boxing by men who loved the sport.

2012 Kona Boss 302 #2758
LostPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #13
aurora

Drives: 2015 Black ZL1; 2012 Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPony View Post

And of course we all loved the Gatti v Ward fights. The first and the 3rd fight were just great boxing by men who loved the sport.
Yeah.

And maybe this is a bit off topic, but I must say, The Fighter is one of my favourite movies ever. Based on Ward and Dicky Ecklund. Have you seen it??
aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:16 PM   #14
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora View Post
Yeah.

And maybe this is a bit off topic, but I must say, The Fighter is one of my favourite movies ever. Based on Ward and Dicky Ecklund. Have you seen it??
Great film and it was filmed mostly at my old boxing gym in Lowell with Arthur Ramahlo in the movie.