Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
junkmachine

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS M6 RS Hurst =)
Vararam Spacer Install Issue. desparate for Help..

All

This is embarrassing because I am not new to cars and mods. I appreciate any input I can get from anyone.

I was installing the vararam P/wedge and the unthinkable happened.

There are 4 brass taps that the throttle body bolts thread into. These seem to be friction pressed or molded in with the plastic intake manifold. Anyway when tightening down the two bolts on the passenger side, I heard a sickening snap and the wrench went loose. I know that the torquing for these bolts is only 9 lb/ft so I was being careful but end result is, the brass threading came out and now the bolt has nothing to thread in order to secure the throttle body in place.

I used teflon tape to wrap around these brass fasteners and then pressed them in there and tried to reattach the throttle body. One of them held in really well but the other one popped right out. I used more teflon tape and repeated and now they are both holding in place. I tried to knock the TB out but it seems solid for now. I know that this is not a permanent solution and I need to fix this asap because I do need my car. Other than replaceing the entire intake manifold and explaining to the dealer what happened, anyone have any ideas?

I thought about buying longer bolts and some really thin nuts to put on the other side of TB because there is room there.

Look what that brass ring did to the PW.

Thanks everyone.
Attached Images

- CAI - RX CatchCan - POWERWEDGE
- need some more-
junkmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:27 AM   #2
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Were you using a torque wrench? I see people do this all the time. With these tiny bolts you just snug them up. Most people don't have an inch/lb torque wrench so they convert it to ft/lbs and try to use their big torque wrench, BIG NO NO!

Just use a longer bolt and a nut.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #3
apeko

Drives: 2011 2-SS/RS SGM
Use a small amount of Epoxie on the brass press in nut. Don't get any on the threads. Be sure the brass nut is flat and even in the plastic hole and clean off any excess Epoxie around the edges. Good luck. A 5 min Epoxie should work fine. Also besure to remove ALL teflon tape first. The Epoxie will not stick to it.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
^^^ Good advice.

I gotta be honest that looks like way more that 9ft lbs of damage to the spacer.

I installed mine last night and all went well, but this makes me want to pull out the torque wrench and check my work. You can fix yours though.

She is only memory now.

Last edited by IndeedSS1; 08-08-2012 at 09:56 AM.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
junkmachine

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS M6 RS Hurst =)
Thanks guys. I'll try both. I am not sure about the epoxy because the fit of the brass nut is already quite tight. It just doesn't bite the manifold. I'll try though.
junkmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Gorilla Glue the brass nuts back in the manifold.... and even 9 ft./lbs. sounds like a bit much to me. Like Sux said, just snug them up.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Gorilla Glue the brass nuts back in the manifold.... and even 9 ft./lbs. sounds like a bit much to me. Like Sux said, just snug them up.

I think it's closer to 7ft lbs (87 or 89in lbs)

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote