Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 11-19-2015, 05:53 PM   #1
KimberCamaro

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS
Diode Dynamics Cup holder install

I just purchased a set of Diode Dynamics cup holder lighting and I am a little lost as to how to set them up. I want to do it myself if I can. If not, I will pay someone, but I have no problem with doing it myself and I want to learn. All the tutorials show the old set with the chevy bowtie emblem at the bottom or the LEDs installed at the top of the cup holder under the metal plate accent piece. Mine look like halos that are supposed to be installed at the bottom of the cup holder and a small hole drilled in each cupholder and you tap into the wires from the traction control. I am looking at the wires they supplied and there are no instructions explaning how each cup wires are spliced into the exhisting Camaro lighting. Each cup has a black and red wire which means four wires total for both. So I splice each black wire to the black wire in the traction control and the two red wires from each cup to the yellow wire in the traction control??? They won't reach??? They supplied this cable that has a red and black wire with a black box at the end you plug into. I don't get it and I am ticked off!!! LOL!! Maybe I'm way off as to how to hook these cup holders up. I can provide pics as to what I have, or maybe I'm having a brain fart about the process!! lol Thanks to anyone who can guide me. If not I totally understand

Last edited by KimberCamaro; 11-19-2015 at 07:20 PM.
KimberCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:25 PM   #2
OVERPAR73
2018 Garnet Red ZL1 conve

Drives: 2013 & 2018 ZL1 vert
Be extremely careful when drilling your holes for your wires as the cars accelerometers (G meters) are right under the cup holders. I know this by my mistake I made installing my lighting. You can find the exact wiring process at Gen5DIY.com. Good luck!

Bill
Old 11-19-2015, 07:18 PM   #3
KimberCamaro

Thank you Bill I will definitely check out Gen5DIY. I read about watching when you drill into the cup holders. I want to try to remove the side panels to see if I can get a good look at what is underneath the cup holders before I stick a drill through them. Paranoia and perfectionism is a bad trait when missing with things. lol
Old 11-20-2015, 07:04 AM   #4
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberCamaro View Post
Thank you Bill I will definitely check out Gen5DIY. I read about watching when you drill into the cup holders. I want to try to remove the side panels to see if I can get a good look at what is underneath the cup holders before I stick a drill through them. Paranoia and perfectionism is a bad trait when missing with things. lol
Start with the passenger side removing the side panel you have the most room. I have removed mine at least 10 times. Do you have a set of trim removal tools? First set the seat all the way back & tilt it all the way back.

Next on the console at the front very carefully grip the side panel and start popping the holding clips out. These pieces are very flexible and bend easily. When you get to the back side this is why you adjusted the seat. It is a little tight with the seat and rear of the console. Popping the last few tabs out your done. Now do the same on the drivers side. Good Luck
Old 11-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #5
KimberCamaro

Okay I will attempt to do that. Thank you for helping me I have to take the car to the dealership today to have the alignment looked at and get my first 1,000 mile oil change. The dealership asked me, you want your oil changed at 1,000 miles???? I said you heard me right, change the oil... lol!
Old 11-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #6
BLU DUCE

Quote:
Okay I will attempt to do that. Thank you for helping me I have to take the car to the dealership today to have the alignment looked at and get my first 1,000 mile oil change. The dealership asked me, you want your oil changed at 1,000 miles???? I said you heard me right, change the oil... lol!
When you pick the car up before starting it up check the dip stick for level of oil before leaving the dealership.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:02 AM   #7
Jalberdi99

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike III View Post
When you pick the car up before starting it up check the dip stick for level of oil before leaving the dealership.
this!!!!!!! i got screwed when i went to have the oil changed, they put 6 quarts and not 8 like it supposed to have. good thing i checked it when they were done with it.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:10 PM   #8
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
All the more reason to change the oil yourself. I know I'm putting high end synthetic and K&N race filter every time and don't have to worry about car damage at the stealership. Took me 20 min last time. Just jack up driver front corner so you can get under to reach filter. Kim you should add a switch to those lights with a small fuse, then can draw from any power source. With a switch it will allow you to add other custom interior lighting later.
Jayjellyfish212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:29 PM   #9
KimberCamaro

I opened the console up and looked around the cup holders and realized what had to be done. I can see I have to drill a decent sized hole to fit the white piece that attaches the wiring underneath each Diode Dynamics halo light. I bought the Diode dynamics solid red ring lights. From what I have been reading guys are tapping into the yellow and black wires of the traction control. I went out bought 18 gauge wire at radio shack to extend the length of Diode lights because they will never reach. There was T taps in the kit that I don't want to use because I have read bad things about them. I am wondering what methods guys are using to tap into the traction control?? I saw these Posi Tap connectors I liked.

Are you serious about the oil change at the dealership???? Oh for Pete sake!! I will have to go out and check the car tomorrow. I have to take the car back because I noticed a bald spot in the carpeting on the drivers side back seat on the side of the middle hump. I said it bothered me and it shouldn't be there on a new car. They are going to install new carpeting in the car. I hate to see the car get tore up to install new carpeting but the bald spot would really bother me. It's not a huge spot but enough that you can see it. I am going to explain to them when I drop it off that I hope I don't see any damage to the interior after they get done because we will have a big problem...
Old 11-21-2015, 05:47 PM   #10
BLU DUCE

Quote:
I opened the console up and looked around the cup holders and realized what had to be done. I can see I have to drill a decent sized hole to fit the white piece that attaches the wiring underneath each Diode Dynamics halo light. I bought the Diode dynamics solid red ring lights. From what I have been reading guys are tapping into the yellow and black wires of the traction control. I went out bought 18 gauge wire at radio shack to extend the length of Diode lights because they will never reach. There was T taps in the kit that I don't want to use because I have read bad things about them. I am wondering what methods guys are using to tap into the traction control?? I saw these Posi Tap connectors I liked.

Are you serious about the oil change at the dealership???? Oh for Pete sake!! I will have to go out and check the car tomorrow. I have to take the car back because I noticed a bald spot in the carpeting on the drivers side back seat on the side of the middle hump. I said it bothered me and it shouldn't be there on a new car. They are going to install new carpeting in the car. I hate to see the car get tore up to install new carpeting but the bald spot would really bother me. It's not a huge spot but enough that you can see it. I am going to explain to them when I drop it off that I hope I don't see any damage to the interior after they get done because we will have a big problem...
Also check your mileage when you drop off and pick up. I always take pics. Especially if I have to leave it over night. dead serious about the oil.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:28 AM   #11
KimberCamaro

Cup holder wires

This is what came with the cup holder kit. No installation instructions. What is this wire? I was just going to connect straight into the traction control wires with the existing wires from the lights. They are solid color so I don't need a controller?
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2015, 10:16 PM   #12
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
I would not tap into the traction control system. That is the most ridiculous info I have ever heard. The best thing to do is add a 3 slot fuse block from the battery. This will allow additional add on's later if you want other custom electronics. From there you will use only one of the new fuse lines because you will have 3 fuse lines. The red wire is for the positive and black is for the negative on those disks.. also know as earth line in auto wire diagrams. Hooking fuse block to battery will take you 5 min. You can connect the red wires to one another and then black wires together from each disk this will allow you to only have to run a power supply line and a ground line to the connections of each color. Best to then add a switch so get a lighted switch. The switch will have a earth line so you can go direct from negative battery to the black disk wires, then piggy back the wire to earth line of the swich. This will allow everything to be properly grounded. For the red wires you run from the new fuse to the supply line of the switch. From the switch load line on the disk you run to the red wires On The disk. If you need a diagram I can draw one up. It is a simple install and a great one for you to learn basic auto wiring. Best advise is don't rush and work on it only when you are not disturbed so you do it right.

Last edited by Jayjellyfish212; 11-23-2015 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Not finished
Jayjellyfish212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:48 PM   #13
KimberCamaro

The only reason I asked about the traction control is guys on the camaro5 message board are hooking up their cup holder lighting that way. I was not sure if that is a bad idea or not. So the battery in the trunk is what I will attach a fuse block to?? ...I don't know if that would go over my head as far a wiring...