Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 11-20-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
Trigg

Drives: 2003 Cobra "Terminator"
New here 78 Z28

Just like to say Hi everyone, Im new here and fairly new to the camaro scene, mostly been around chevy trucks and mustangs my whole life. Im from Townsend, TN currently station at Camp Lejeune, NC an if anyone knows anything about the Jacksonville area then they know everyone is always lookin to screw someone over. So this is what has brought me here.

I have ran across a 1978 "Z28" Im not sure if it is really a Z28 is has the hood of one and has the Z28 emblems everywhere and they appear to have been on it for awhile. The fella that has the car, has told me that it has a 350 with a 350 tranny both leakin from seals rearend seems pretty stout from what I can tell. He says the Brakes are draggin from sitting for so long. Interior is missing some pieces; rear bottom panels, headliner, and carpet. Dash needs a good cleaning and i think the door panels could either be re dyed or replaced. There is a little rust on the inside on right rear floorboard nothin that I havent seen and been able to fix myself. The outside of the car is in good shape I think, just rust half way up to the line on the rear fender, and some rust that I wasnt really able to destingquish "probably butchered that word" under the back bumper under the trunk area.

Car seems In good condition for a restoration to me but like I said I dont know much about them so who knows. The fella is asking $1000 for her. Tell me what yall think, cause Iv worked on older chevy trucks, nova's, and mustangs and to me they pretty much had the same problems and I was able to fix/replace it my self, so Im feeling pretty confadent that I can fix minor stuff to get her street worthy for now. Here are some pictures.

Trigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
BurntTreez28

Drives: 1978 Z28 Camaro
not to bad, a nice fixer-upper but on a side note just to let you know that is not a z28 steering wheel

they had those fake rope wrapped wheels goin on (there is a cover on the outside of mine) but you can get an idea from the inside of the wheel

BurntTreez28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
bdg

Drives: 2010 camaro
Welcome to the forum

If it runs and drives good I would offer less , you can find a cleaner car for that money. The body looks pretty rusty (it is going to need alot of work) and the floors are rusted also. It will cost alot to put it in new condition (if this is your plan). If you have the money and time to restore it, and this is what you are looking for, it is not a horrible deal. You can buy one already re-done cheaper than you can restore one though.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
bluec5

Drives: 1999 Corvette, 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS
I loved the faux rope wrapped steering wheels.
My second Camaro was a 1978 Z-28 that I bought myself as a graduation present. A beautiful red four speed with positrac and sport interior. I miss that car.
This one looks like a true Z. If the engine and tranny are original, it would be worth restoring, but will not be cheap. The second gens are going up in value and the later cars are starting to catch on. I agree that you can find a cleaner car to start with, but if it is a true z, it will be hard to find one at this price.
Good luck!
bluec5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
My 76

Drives: 1976 Camaro
Check the rear frame for rust. These cars are notorious for that.
My 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
hey welcome 2 the site! it looks like a good deal, especially if it runs (even if not very well, due to the leaks) the bodys not terrible, but u need to replace some of them. but overall, i wud say get it.
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:07 AM   #7
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Too rusty! The price is too high and the costs will be staggering. Avoid rusty resto projects like the plague.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:20 AM   #8
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Too rusty and ragged out inside for me. You are going to put alot of money and time in to get that in shape. Better cars can be found.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #9
My 76

Drives: 1976 Camaro
It has a lot of work that needs done,but if you are looking for a project that you can work on for awhile I say get it. When you get finished with it you will get a lot of satisfaction when you look at what you have accomplished. If you want a project you do not want to buy something that is already done. There is no satisfaction in that.
My 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
ibbilly
RUMBLE B

Drives: Cybertron Grey Metallic 2010 2SS RS
Don't walk. RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ibbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #11
CamaroKid
Mr. Documentation

Drives: 1998 Mazda Protege SE
In my honest opinion, I would pass on the Camaro, unless you're looking for one that needs quite a bit of work.

From what I can tell, it is a real Z28. If you're still interested in the car, private message me the VIN and trim tag information and I will decode the car for you.
CamaroKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #12
pk1225

Drives: '68 SS396, '02 SLP SS, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid View Post
In my honest opinion, I would pass on the Camaro, unless you're looking for one that needs quite a bit of work.

From what I can tell, it is a real Z28. If you're still interested in the car, private message me the VIN and trim tag information and I will decode the car for you.
Second all that. It looks like a real Z, but it's rough.

I'm going to take Aqua out tonight now, seeing those pics made me appreciate the new car all that much more. I spent way too many years driving beaters like that '78 around.
pk1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #13
Zieke
Camaro Deprived

Drives: 78 Camaro, 00 Tahoe, 10 Cobalt
Send a message via MSN to Zieke
if you have the time and money to restore this car, i say go for it.
like me, some people actually want a car that is a challenge to rebuild. thats half the fun and reason of restoring it.

Joined Active Navy: 10-28-08
Zieke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #14
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
even if it isnt a real Z28. the guys wanting $1000.00 for it. pick it up before I drive up there and get it.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote