Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-14-2017, 06:40 PM   #1
larietrope

Drives: 1970 Boss 302
17 Camaro SS vs Roushcharged Mustang

Since I am having difficulty finding the SS I want in my area, 1SS, automatic, NPP, red tint, I surfed around and found Roush sells a Roushcharged GT, with supercharger, heavy duty half axles, and some minor badging. It's a sleeper car priced 6-8K below the stage 3 Roush. 670 Horsepower. It would be 11-12 K over the Camaro price. Ford warranty on everything but the supercharger and Roush covers it for 3 years, 36K miles.
I know the rep on the Mustang being under tired but I don't drag race, road race, or street race, I just want something to feed my mid life crisis. If you aren't there you will be sooner than you think. I like to get on it now and again to remind me I'm still alive. Both cars can fulfill my desires. I wanted some honest, unprejudiced, mature thoughts if you were making this decision.
Thanks.
larietrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:45 PM   #2
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Unbiased opinion, between the two, I would say to get the Mustang. If they were both NA and you wanted performance, then the SS is the way to go hands down. Once boost is added in, both cars equal out. Since the Stang is already supercharged and warrantied thru Roush and Ford, I would say to go that route over getting the SS and then having to void your warranty by adding a blower.

But, at the price point of the Roush, I'd say around $60K based on the info you gave us...why not get a ZL1??!! That would be a much much better deal since there are a few of them priced around $65K.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #3
larietrope

Drives: 1970 Boss 302
Forgot to add. 19" wheels and this would be a daily driver. The cost is 50-51k on the Mustang where the ZL1 is 65k.
larietrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:20 PM   #4
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by larietrope View Post
Forgot to add. 19" wheels and this would be a daily driver. The cost is 50-51k on the Mustang where the ZL1 is 65k.
Ah ok, my bad. I thought you were talking about the 2SS and around here those go for $48K-$52K. So I was thinking an extra $11K over that would put you in the range for a ZL1. My bad, lol!! What about the options? What options are you comparing between the two cars? Or are you satisfied with just the base stuff?
Old 04-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #5
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by larietrope View Post
Since I am having difficulty finding the SS I want in my area, 1SS, automatic, NPP, red tint, I surfed around and found Roush sells a Roushcharged GT, with supercharger, heavy duty half axles, and some minor badging. It's a sleeper car priced 6-8K below the stage 3 Roush. 670 Horsepower. It would be 11-12 K over the Camaro price. Ford warranty on everything but the supercharger and Roush covers it for 3 years, 36K miles.
I know the rep on the Mustang being under tired but I don't drag race, road race, or street race, I just want something to feed my mid life crisis. If you aren't there you will be sooner than you think. I like to get on it now and again to remind me I'm still alive. Both cars can fulfill my desires. I wanted some honest, unprejudiced, mature thoughts if you were making this decision.
Thanks.
First off the HP number is crank they are giving, just for clarity. You get similar power with some of the blower setups for the LT1 and more TQ I believe. Second, read the Roush warranty very carefully. It's been awhile but I know the Ford Performance blowers cover a decent list of items, but the scope is narrow as to what is considered a "failure". I'm pretty sure Roush is the same way. So it's not exactly like a "factory" warranty. Just food for thought. Big power gains from FI are easy with the Coyote. Also your gonna need some serious traction upgrades to put that power to use on the Mustang. That Roush kit really doesn't do anything but power. You might even want to look at the Ford Performance kit which will probably be cheaper.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:52 PM   #6
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Or if you're really going that route (excuse me for saying this guys, I know this is a Camaro forum)...but you could go with one of the supercharged setups that Lebanon and several other dealerships are offering for $40K. That'll put you way under the Roush AND 1SS price (if you get the base model GT) and leave you money for suspension/tire upgrades and you'd still come out under the Roush price after all is said and done.

But to be fair and honest, the SS might be just what you need for fun. At the stock HP/TQ levels, you could just do some mild bolt-ons and you'd be set. You'd be faster than 90% of the cars out there and your chances of running into anything faster would be soo slim that you probably wouldn't even want a blower.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:31 AM   #7
germanicus

Drives: Pony Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Or if you're really going that route (excuse me for saying this guys, I know this is a Camaro forum)...but you could go with one of the supercharged setups that Lebanon and several other dealerships are offering for $40K. That'll put you way under the Roush AND 1SS price (if you get the base model GT) and leave you money for suspension/tire upgrades and you'd still come out under the Roush price after all is said and done.

But to be fair and honest, the SS might be just what you need for fun. At the stock HP/TQ levels, you could just do some mild bolt-ons and you'd be set. You'd be faster than 90% of the cars out there and your chances of running into anything faster would be soo slim that you probably wouldn't even want a blower.
I would go with the Lenanon option as well. Roush is charging you a premium for the name association. 40k for a supercharged GT. Get the PP package and you are set.

Actually at this point WAIT a few months. The 2018s will be available and they have a completely reworked coyote motor and transmission.
germanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:22 PM   #8
psheldon97

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE in BY
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanicus View Post
I would go with the Lenanon option as well. Roush is charging you a premium for the name association. 40k for a supercharged GT. Get the PP package and you are set.

Actually at this point WAIT a few months. The 2018s will be available and they have a completely reworked coyote motor and transmission.
Not a fan of the new front end though
psheldon97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:59 PM   #9
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
If you are only worried about straight line performance go with the stang, but be warned the roush stangs are base models with a nunch of power crammed in there so you will be getting a worse interior with less tech and a floppy suspension that isn't very good in it's stock fo but is even worse when it has a few extra hundred pounds and hp to deal with. The SS is the better buy if you will be driving any more than to/from and on the drag strip.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #10
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Drive um both if you haven't and the get the one that you feel most comfortable in and I mean in how the car makes you feel. Don't let anyone talk you into anything, but certainly consider advice. If you can't decide, then save the cash and get the stang. Now, having said that, dude!! It's a ZL1!!!
Old 04-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #11
AbsolutHank

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 M6
PM Sent
2013 Dodge Viper #44/150 Launch Edition IG:@absoluthank
20/21 BC Forged Wheels : BC Coilovers: TA Aero
AbsolutHank is offline   Reply With Quote