Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
Ferrarimk13

Drives: Hopefully a Camaro in a year
V6 Auto transmission questions!

Hey guys, i have a few questions about the auto/ paddleshifting on the V6. First off, i heard people say if you drive like a regular automatic in M its like the sport mode? is that true? There's no buttons selecting sport mode or competition mode or anything? Also, when in M, does it go into neutral if you downshift from 1st? Some cars have this and i think its a really cool thing to have especially for off the line starts and stuff. I also heard that it starts in second gear in the paddleshift mode? And finally, my last question, when in M mode and you reach redline, will it shift automatically if you dont, or will it just keep in gear until you shift? Thanks a lotttt ahead of time!
Ferrarimk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Yes, M is sports mode. Basically the auto-trans will shift more aggressively to give you more acceleration. Not sure if it will shift into neutral from 1st or not. I believe the auto will start from 1st in sports mode, could be wrong though. And yes, in M it will shift automatically UNLESS you begin using the paddle shifters. Once you use the paddle shifters it will wait a lil while (minute or so?) and then resume shifting automatically.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
I answer the ones that I do know. Hopefully someone else can fill in the rest.

Yes, if you put your shifter down into the mode where you could use the paddle shifters, then it shifts like an automatic but with more aggressive settings. There's no button for it - and if you use the paddle shifters you'll actually be taken out of that mode and put into manual control. Competition Mode is a separate thing, a traction/stabilitrak setting that the V8's get but the V6's don't.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
Ferrarimk13

ooh, got it. thanks guys! Thats awesome with the paddle shifters and the sport mode, now i just need to find out if you can downshift to neutral in M. Thatd make it perfect! thanks again guys!
Old 06-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
I think the engine has rev protection so while it won't shift it won't let the engine blow basically it will hold you up high but not crazy high. Correct me if wrong.

I have only tried tap on Celica GTS and that's FWD.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
I think the engine has rev protection so while it won't shift it won't let the engine blow basically it will hold you up high but not crazy high. Correct me if wrong.

I have only tried tap on Celica GTS and that's FWD.
Yeah that is accurate I believe. If you try a shift that may harm the engine the Driver Info Center will display 'Shift Denied' or some such.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #7
Ferrarimk13

ah yes, the notorious denied shifts. so no downshifting with high revs? so much for the manual option, but i guess its good in a way.