Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-17-2011, 11:26 PM   #1
wrbear
Banned

Drives: 2010, 2SS, IOM/CGM Stripes, 4/24/10
CAI Industries special functional hood

I have a CAI Industries CAI on my car right now....who makes the hood that works with this system to push air through? I'm reading I will have to buy another special CA Industries CAI to match up to it. Anyone have any input?

Thanks!

WRBear
wrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:43 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
If pushing more cool air to the intake is your goal I would go with a scoop and washer bottle relocation kit rather than a hood. A hood looks good but gets heat soaked as hot air rises in the engine bay and from the sun on the top side which heats up any air coming through it. A scoop mounted behind the bumper will not heat up the air so it will provide cooler denser air. Then I would go with an aftermarket hood that will help vent air from the engine bay rather than a "ram air" style. If you have any questions just let me know.

Chase

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 06-18-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
If pushing more cool air to the intake is your goal I would go with a scoop and washer bottle relocation kit rather than a hood. A hood looks good but gets heat soaked as hot air rises in the engine bay which heats up any air coming through it. A scoop mounted behind the bumper will not heat up the air so it will provide cooler denser air. Then I would go with a hood that will help vent air from the engine bay rather than a "ram air" style. If you have any questions just let me know.

Chase
Sounds like solid advice.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
4SD FED

Drives: 2010 rs/ss camaro
Eric at mpd1 makes the hood that works with there kit, true ram air, fresh air all the time from out side the engine bay. It's also a heat extractor hood with vents on the backside
Old 06-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
wrbear
Banned

Sounds like great advice from everyone! Thank You! I'm going for more show than go right now. My car is 14 months old with less than 3K miles on it so the add HP.....ehhhh.....now down the line when I get board modding and I start bumping up HP then APEX I'll be Hunting you down....lol.....and I'll be getting “paralysis by over analysis” on the most HP I can get from….from the system. and thanks for the link 4SD FED if it's the hood I'm lokking for....
Old 06-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
05gofast

Drives: Something Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SD FED View Post
Eric at mpd1 makes the hood that works with there kit, true ram air, fresh air all the time from out side the engine bay. It's also a heat extractor hood with vents on the backside
+1

These hoods are remarkable in both fitment & funtionality!
05gofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05gofast View Post
+1

These hoods are remarkable in both fitment & funtionality!
Agreed, he makes an excellent product.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I still say that the purchase of a ram air hood should be based on appearance needs.
Why? Because the cost of purchasing, painting, and installing a ram air hood is not worth the small (if any) performance gain.

That money could be spend on mods that will significantly increase HP.

But if you're wanting to make your car stand out of be different from everyone else, it can be a worth while mod. But its not a good mod for adding HP.

An intake such as Vararam or ADM with scoop will work better than a ram air hood.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:57 AM   #9
SilverSS3108

Drives: 2010 silver SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
I still say that the purchase of a ram air hood should be based on appearance needs.
Why? Because the cost of purchasing, painting, and installing a ram air hood is not worth the small (if any) performance gain.

But if you're wanting to make your car stand out of be different from everyone else, it can be a worth while mod. But its not a good mod for adding HP.

An intake such as Vararam or ADM with scoop will work better than a ram air hood.
He allready has a CAI intake and correct me if I'm wrong but didnt the CAI with scoop yeild more rwhp than the ADM with scoop in the JRE test?! Besides... if he does both the scoop and the hood he gets the style and funcionality and more cold air than he can use and in this case too much is not a bad thing.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:25 AM   #10
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSS3108 View Post
He allready has a CAI intake and correct me if I'm wrong but didnt the CAI with scoop yeild more rwhp than the ADM with scoop in the JRE test?! Besides... if he does both the scoop and the hood he gets the style and funcionality and more cold air than he can use and in this case too much is not a bad thing.
Thats right cai and adm both have a cover and they both work well with the adm scoop but how would the hood work unless you took the cai cover off ? edit i just looked on the mpd1 site and saw the cai lid for the hood. I think that a heat extractor hood would help though and leave the cai intact with the adm scoop.

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #11
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSS3108 View Post
Yes

Adding ADM's scoop to these intakes will do a better job of bringing outside air to the intake than a ram air hood.

CAI and ADM both work with this scoop.

And I'm not against ram air hoods. I just want people need to realize that these hoods make little HP at best. A ram air hood is not a good performance investment. I should be looked at as an appearance mod.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #12
wrbear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post

10000% correct. I'm building a 100% show car. I'm well aware of HP and components that increase same. If I was into HP I wouldn't be spending the money on this expensive hood and future Kustom paints. Which leads me to warranty which is a horse of a different color! Thanks for the insight for those that are not aware of this You guy's are good...helping a fellow C5er in sorting things out and not making mistakes......this car is gonna be show and "in a big way"....or as far as my wife will let me.....Thanks for the input and knowledge you brought to the table.....errr....OP.

FYI I originally bought the CA Industries intake because of independent benchmarks running head to head with other CAI's....but really 10-15 HP gain? That can be lost in numerous places on the track...well I really bought it because it was just COOL LOOKIN. my2