Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Lightbulb Camaro Z/28 Engineers Get a Grip on Wheel Slip [Video Added]

Camaro Z/28 Engineers Get a Grip on Wheel Slip
Tire grip, braking capability require action to prevent wheels rotating in tires

2014-03-13

DETROIT – While running fast laps at several of the country’s most challenging tracks, Camaro Z/28 engineers noticed the tires were providing so much traction and the brakes so much stopping force that the wheels rotated inside the tire – an unexpected challenge that required fast thinking.

“We were told to build a fast car – period,” said Mark Stielow, Camaro Z/28 program manager and pro-touring expert. “We knew on Day One we’d need to bring some of the best suppliers onboard to make it happen.”

The suppliers included Pirelli and its P Zero™ Trofeo R tires and Brembo for carbon-ceramic brake rotors. The Trofeo R tires have a track-oriented tread design and compound that, together with the carbon-ceramic rotors, help the Z/28 achieve up to 1.5 g in deceleration force.

It was a perfect combination, but engineers quickly found that when the Z/28’s capability was tested, the wheels were rotating – slipping – inside the tires. They sought the root of the problem by marking one of the Pirelli P Zero™ Trofeo R tires at the beginning of a lap with a chalk line relative to the valve stem on the wheel. At the end of the lap, they recorded where the chalk line ended up and noticed the tire had rotated at least a full 360 degrees from where they started.

Racers use an abrasive paint around the bead of the wheel, where the tire meets the rim, to combat the problem on race cars. The Z/28’s engineers tried it, but it wasn’t strong enough to prevent the slippage, so other approaches were tried. Finally, they tried media blasting, which involves shooting a gritty material through an air gun at the wheel's surface, adding texture to the paint for the tire to grip.

“Media-blasting the wheel created an extremely aggressive grit on the rim, which finally got the tire to hold,” said Stielow.

Along with the tires and brakes, some of the tire slip can also be attributed to the 7.0L LS7 engine helping spin the wheels with an SAE-certified 505 horsepower (376 kW) and 481 lb-ft of torque (652 Nm). While going around corners, the helical-gear limited-slip rear differential also sends power to the wheels so well that differences in tire slip can be observed from side to side on the rear axle.

The 2014 Camaro Z/28 arrives in dealerships this spring.

Name:  2014-Chevrolet-CamaroZ28-111.jpg
Views: 5382
Size:  265.1 KB

Name:  2014-Chevrolet-CamaroZ28-094.jpg
Views: 5471
Size:  175.6 KB

Old 03-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Wow that's interesting! I wonder how many vehicles run into that issue..
Old 03-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Didnt even know that happened lol. Awesome.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #4
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I thought they knurled the wheels to help prevent slipping?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
LAWMAN

Drives: 2010 cam.2ss/rs.iom,07'escalade esv
That's some power right there,
1100:12/19/08
3800:06/19/09
6000:07/02/09
LAWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
paul44

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Further proof that the Z/28 will be one hell of a machine!
Old 03-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #7
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Common problem in racing and drag racing. Big time drags screw the rim right to the bead of the tire lol.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I thought they knurled the wheels to help prevent slipping?
I used Rays (Volk Racing) wheels because they had very grippy knurled bead seats. No rotating on the rim with those bad boys.

Knurling is a cost-adding production process though, and I can see where abrasive blasting the bead seat would accomplish the same result at lower cost.

Just another detail that trackers will appreciate. Aggravating to lose your wheel balance after the first session and then be running on "square" wheels. Once again kudos to GM from a person who understands and appreciates what they did with the Z/28.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #9
AlohaBR

Drives: Camaros...is there anything else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Common problem in racing and drag racing. Big time drags screw the rim right to the bead of the tire lol.

I was waiting to see f that was how the fixed the issue!
AlohaBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:18 PM   #10
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Wow, those tires must be like glue. They are UTQG= 60. Depending on where you race these are not class legit in a lot of the events that are out there.

But, that's a stunning accomplishment by GM. From the way it's been happening I'm guessing we are going to get a feature a week until it arrives at dealerships.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:31 PM   #11
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
Depending on where you race these are not class legit in a lot of the events that are out there.
Specifically, what events?

The Z/28 is not a race car so your comment perplexes me. There are no limits on tires used at any DE/HPDE/PDX I attend other than minimum tread depth. The Trofeo is a street legal, DOT tire meant for use on street cars, it is not used in any "racing" series that I am aware of as it is not a racing slick.

Please explain with details.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
I used Rays (Volk Racing) wheels because they had very grippy knurled bead seats. No rotating on the rim with those bad boys.

Knurling is a cost-adding production process though, and I can see where abrasive blasting the bead seat would accomplish the same result at lower cost.

Just another detail that trackers will appreciate. Aggravating to lose your wheel balance after the first session and then be running on "square" wheels. Once again kudos to GM from a person who understands and appreciates what they did with the Z/28.
I know what you're saying but I remember reading something about the Z/28 wheels being knurled. It was posted here a while back. I guess they could have changed from knurling to blasting if it was cheaper.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #13
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I know what you're saying but I remember reading something about the Z/28 wheels being knurled. It was posted here a while back. I guess they could have changed from knurling to blasting if it was cheaper.

I recall seeing the same thing with a picture of the inside of the wheel.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #14
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
So much for the "just drop a ___ motor in a 1LE Camaro, it's way overpriced, put a blower in it, etc., etc." comments. It's never as easy as it looks or sounds.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote