Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Home alignment

I have a curious question.

As an avid DIY'er and someone who doesnt trust to many with my toys, is it is possible to do an alignment at home? I understand the concept of toe, camber and caster so am curious if it can be done with relative ease.
Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
g-townmach
I FARTED

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
You'll have to buy or make alignment tools. I don't exactly what is needed though. Since you're in Austin you should check out Soul Speed. They are a performance alignment and suspension shop. From reading their website I think that's all they do so you could feel good bout them doing an alignment. Give them a call. I have no experience with them, just found it on google a couple months ago. I think they're on Longhorn avenue.

www.soulspeed.com
Old 03-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

Drives: Black 1SS/RS LS3 M6
Did it on my old GS once using a yard stick after changing out tie rods. Later I put it on a rack and they said I was spot on. Wouldnt attempt that with my Camaro though.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
Moriartii

Nice thanks G-Town!
mmmmmmmmm a hard stick eh? LOL
Cheers
K
Old 03-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriartii View Post
I have a curious question.

As an avid DIY'er and someone who doesnt trust to many with my toys, is it is possible to do an alignment at home? I understand the concept of toe, camber and caster so am curious if it can be done with relative ease.
Cheers
K
Hi Moriartii,

Absolutely you can do an alignment at home! Here are some excellent low budget alignment methods put together in this PDF, using basic tools:

http://www.davidfarmerstuff.com/align.pdf

Also, measuring toe is very simple using your jackstands (assuming you own some) and any cheap fishing line you can get your hands on. You would have to make sure you offset your reference line accordingly to accomodate the front and rear track differences (at the hubs, for any car that is). This is to maintain your reference measurement being parallel relative to vehicle centerline.

Anyway, take a look and if you are interested and have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us! We are here to help.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
Moriartii

Cool thank you!!!
Cheers
K