Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #29
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Not simply a matter of wanting to do it. Needs a SOLID business case on top of the SS and ZL1. But your math seems in the ball park. An LS7, forged wheels and HD trans for a 10 to 12,000 dollar premium.
There isn't a single component, here, that doesn't already exist and/or isn't GM-certified/validated, now or shortly.

This is not a new concept... All manner of Camaro-based support for a BOSS-specific competitor exists, and has since well before the BOSS appeared...

Serious discussions occurred in Summer/Fall-'09, regarding this type of Package. Through an enterprise well-regarded by GM, but ultimately lacking Team support, then; the supply of cars was given as the "issue" and, as you know, "two-sticker" Programs are "banned". But that was "then"...and this is "now". Since then, ZL1-specific components await: trans, HD driveline, brakes, wheels/tires; FE4 is now developed.

Just how many Camaros, as spec'd above, does the Team need to create a Spring-'12 Launch? 2,000? 5,000? 2-per-Dealer?

Float this specific idea in HRM, or Motor Trend, or CandD, or Camaro Performers and see what the response is. Fulfilling the above numbers would happen!

Regardless of the numbers required, I can GUARANTEE you 1...Black-on-Black, hold the stripes!

Oh, and the name? Does anyone need to ASK?!

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 05-28-2011 at 09:33 AM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #30
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Not the best comparison, the Boss and a future Z/28 should be track oriented (premium put on handling) rather than quarter mile stormers. Of course, it would be nice to have the best of both worlds!
Clyde
I believe tha handling goes without saying (at this point the expectations have been discussed) We are making a case for the use of the LS7 in the Z28 as a last hurrah before it the LS7 goes away. The numbers show it would make sense in competing with the Boss. Plus it along with the other items suggested are avaiable. I say just do it for the Gen5, the Gen6 will be what has to be based on the times and circumstances.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #31
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
There isn't a single component, here, that doesn't already exist and/or isn't GM-certified/validated, now or shortly.

This is not a new concept... All manner of Camaro-based support for a BOSS-specific competitor exists, and has since well before the BOSS appeared...

Serious discussions occurred in Summer/Fall-'09, regarding this type of Package. Through an enterprise well-regarded by GM, but ultimately lacking Team support, then; the supply of cars was given as the "issue" and, as you know, "two-sticker" Programs are "banned". But that was "then"...and this is "now". Since then, ZL1-specific components await: trans, HD driveline, brakes, wheels/tires; FE4 is now developed.

Just how many Camaros, as spec'd above, does the Team need to create a Spring-'12 Launch? 2,000? 5,000? 2-per-Dealer?

Float this specific idea in HRM, or Motor Trend, or CandD, or Camaro Performers and see what the response is. Fulfilling the above numbers would happen!

Regardless of the numbers required, I can GUARANTEE you 1...Black-on-Black, hold the stripes!

Oh, and the name? Does anyone need to ASK?!
What is a two sticker program?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #32
GearBangr

Drives: 97Z,02TA
Yep. Eliminating the titanium parts, and the cnc LS7 heads. If you can do without the dry sump setup. There's another 1k in parts there too. The LS3 from the GS is handbuilt too. It'll still be cheaper than th LS7. I just want the big motor.
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #33
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
Not saying it wouldn't be an awesome car because it would, but I really don't want to see a 3800 pound car called z28. JMO
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #34
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Funny, in 1970, there were 3800 lb. Camaros...an SS396/M40/C60-loaded...and they did not enjoy the structure or the "safety/technology" of the current versions...

Two-sticker? SLP (SS/Firehawks) wore two stickers...one from GM, one from SLP, but sold and warranted directly by GM Dealers.

As to a de-contented LS7, first of all, it doesn't exist...and therefore must suffer through all the certification/validation processes (time/$$$$)...to arrive at a place with lower power/lower redline/less durability (perhaps) and LESS VALUE. Powdered rods tossing heavier, bigger-bore pistons is not my idea of "performance" and, ultimately, may save little/nothing per low volume (relatively) unit.

Go with the BEST you have, that meets Production criteria...NOW! Built, as I say (and the Market reality would be), in low volume, any added costs and complications simply endanger the Business Case...
Old 05-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #35
GearBangr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Funny, in 1970, there were 3800 lb. Camaros...an SS396/M40/C60-loaded...and they did not enjoy the structure or the "safety/technology" of the current versions...

Two-sticker? SLP (SS/Firehawks) wore two stickers...one from GM, one from SLP, but sold and warranted directly by GM Dealers.

As to a de-contented LS7, first of all, it doesn't exist...and therefore must suffer through all the certification/validation processes (time/$$$$)...to arrive at a place with lower power/lower redline/less durability (perhaps) and LESS VALUE. Powdered rods tossing heavier, bigger-bore pistons is not my idea of "performance" and, ultimately, may save little/nothing per low volume (relatively) unit.

Go with the BEST you have, that meets Production criteria...NOW! Built, as I say (and the Market reality would be), in low volume, any added costs and complications simply endanger the Business Case...

It doesn't exist? Well build it. That's what car companies do right?
I bet a 7.0 LS3 would do just fine. Not good enough? Do an LS7.
Too expensive? Well your outta of luck then. A z28 that performs as it should
Is not gonna come at less than 40 to 45k. Might be better off if they just not build it
Old 05-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #36
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Business Case:

Remember SEMA '08? Something called the COPO? Add ZL1 wheels/tires/brakes/trans/diff., and add FE4...and leave the hood body-colored...

Raise your hand if you think someone cross-shopping the sold-out BOSS wanted a nose-heavy, supercharged, "overweight" straight-line-oriented car instead. If SO, they'd have bought a GT 500, wouldn't they?

Would the BOSS-buyer prefer a ZL1? No...or they'd wait, or they'd have bought the GT 500...

And they obviously didn't settle for a GT...and likely never looked at an SS!

Again, the BOSS is sold out...both ways...

"But ya gotta wanna do it"...
Old 05-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #37
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBangr View Post
Is not gonna come at less than 40 to 45k. Might be better off if they just not build it
Try reading ALL this page...
Old 05-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #38
BoostedX2

Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBangr View Post
Again, I ask the same questions to the powers to be (but rarely get an answer) if Ford can figure out how to develop, certify, and produce a model specific engine (i.e., Boss 302!) WHY CAN'T GM!!! Does not make any sense to me, all I have heard are excuses about durability, certification, yada yada
yuada, whatever.

Lets hear from GM!!

Don't get me wrong, I love the Camaro--just can't figure out 1) why it takes GM so long to respond to other companies product, 2) why they are not LEADING, and 3) why they always have excuses about tweaking engines for specific output. Just my $00.02

T
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #39
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
Again, I ask the same questions to the powers to be (but rarely get an answer) if Ford can figure out how to develop, certify, and produce a model specific engine (i.e., Boss 302!) WHY CAN'T GM!!! Does not make any sense to me, all I have heard are excuses about durability, certification, yada yada
yuada, whatever.

Lets hear from GM!!

Don't get me wrong, I love the Camaro--just can't figure out 1) why it takes GM so long to respond to other companies product, 2) why they are not LEADING, and 3) why they always have excuses about tweaking engines for specific output. Just my $00.02

T
Who says they are not leading? I still dont see Ford with a 2 seat sports car that can rival the Vette

What product have they not responded to from Ford? The Boss that JUST came out?? Besides the fact that it just came out who says you have to have a competitor for each car the other guy has. If you have to have a competitor then I say GM is leading... see Vette comment above
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #40
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
yuada, whatever.

Lets hear from GM!!

T
I would bet that its taking them 'so long to respond' so that they can have a clear product cadence for the Camaro. Start with the coupe, then the vert, then the ZL1, then the Z28, then the new engines, then the next gen, etc. It keeps the buzz about the product alive which always gives customers a new reason to be in show rooms. The one wrench that was thrown in was that after release, everything was probably delayed by about one year due to bankruptcy. I would imagine that development of all non-essential product was halted in an effort to save cash. Convertibles weren't needed. Super high performance Camaros weren't needed. Track focused Camaros weren't needed. Factory drag cars weren't needed (like the Cobra Jet Mustang).

From GM's perspective its not about going model for model and beating Ford. Their biggest concern is how to make money. Throwing a bunch of off the shelf parts is cheaper than developing all new stuff, but the testing & tuning & validation for it on the Camaro isn't pocket change. Same goes for engines. To offer a Z28, they have to know that there are enough distinct customers for that car to more than make back their investment. Stealing customers away from the SS & ZL1 doesn't help a whole lot.

And don't forget ... right now the Camaro coupe and convertible are handily outselling the Mustang in all its forms, with fewer incentives. That means they're probably making more money off the Camaro than Ford is off the Mustang, and that is more important to them than braging rights are to you and I.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #41
BoostedX2

Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I would bet that its taking them 'so long to respond' so that they can have a clear product cadence for the Camaro. Start with the coupe, then the vert, then the ZL1, then the Z28, then the new engines, then the next gen, etc. It keeps the buzz about the product alive which always gives customers a new reason to be in show rooms. The one wrench that was thrown in was that after release, everything was probably delayed by about one year due to bankruptcy. I would imagine that development of all non-essential product was halted in an effort to save cash. Convertibles weren't needed. Super high performance Camaros weren't needed. Track focused Camaros weren't needed. Factory drag cars weren't needed (like the Cobra Jet Mustang).

From GM's perspective its not about going model for model and beating Ford. Their biggest concern is how to make money. Throwing a bunch of off the shelf parts is cheaper than developing all new stuff, but the testing & tuning & validation for it on the Camaro isn't pocket change. Same goes for engines. To offer a Z28, they have to know that there are enough distinct customers for that car to more than make back their investment. Stealing customers away from the SS & ZL1 doesn't help a whole lot.

And don't forget ... right now the Camaro coupe and convertible are handily outselling the Mustang in all its forms, with fewer incentives. That means they're probably making more money off the Camaro than Ford is off the Mustang, and that is more important to them than braging rights are to you and I.
I hope so!! I AM looking forward to buying a superior product in the next 1-3 years...

T
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #42
GearBangr

LSA is a way toned down LS9
I think we can get a toned down LS7.

On GMs defense however, they still have many flavors of corvettes and cadillacs to develop before camaro. So that's another reason for slower response times.
Ford has the mustang and that's it.

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro