Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #267
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maro99 View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing.. Makes no sense to me.
Heres my post from page 10..

On a separate not, I don't understand why so many people want all these factory performance upgrades for the V6?? Ive seen people asking for a turbo upgrade for the V6's as well as alot of other expensive performance upgrades from the factory. If you want performance so much why wouldnt you just buy the SS instead of spending alot of cash to make a V6 faster. Im not bashing anyone just confused why you wouldnt just buy a V8 when your so concerned about performance and willing to shell out cash for performance upgrades.. Why not just buy the V8 in the first place? Isnt that is the whole purpose of the V6? Dosen't make much sense IMO..
It's a very difficult conversation to have on here really.. Some people simply can't afford the V8, so, there's the V6.. Some people don't want the V8, so there's the V6.. Some people want better mileage, so there's the V6...

But... The above... Well... I also don't see the need for performance packages for the V6 if they're going to push it in to V8 areas on performance, fuel economy and price.. At that point, why get a V6 at all, when it's costing you the same as the V8 in dollars and mileage. Unless it's something like weight savings, ability to run on lesser fuel grade, higher revs, etc?

Just so I don't piss off some V6 owners.. Make sure you read my first paragraph...
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #268
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
It's a very difficult conversation to have on here really.. Some people simply can't afford the V8, so, there's the V6.. Some people don't want the V8, so there's the V6.. Some people want better mileage, so there's the V6...

But... The above... Well... I also don't see the need for performance packages for the V6 if they're going to push it in to V8 areas on performance, fuel economy and price.. At that point, why get a V6 at all, when it's costing you the same as the V8 in dollars and mileage. Unless it's something like weight savings, ability to run on lesser fuel grade, higher revs, etc?

Just so I don't piss off some V6 owners.. Make sure you read my first paragraph...

Agreed, Chevy certainly wouldn't make a "V6 Turbo" for example if the price will run up against the V8 UNLESS they could make one that had some other benefit over the V8 (MPG perhaps?).

I think the best approach here is those looking for more power should get the V8 and Chevy should offer a V10.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #269
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Maybe its just me...I thought these were supposed to be some kind of "Muscle Car"...The emphasis should be on engine performance, horsepower, exhaust sound, drive-train, reduced weight,etc....not in my opinion more creature comforts, electronic gizmos, many of which we already have no choice but to purchase with the car already...and do not need or want..

If there's a "trade-off" needed with newer models in the future, I'll take more of the former (more muscle), than more of the latter(more fat)...my $.02
Creature features sell cars. Especially on the used market.
The take rate on stripper Camaros was low in the '80s. it would be even lower now. They just dont sell.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #270
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
Z28
T-Tops
Old 02-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #271
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35th02ss View Post
Whats everyone's thought on not having a CD player with the NAV unit?
Don't need the CD player, nor a Nav unit.
Don't need power seats either. Once I get it set right, I never move it.
Don't really need power windows. My arm ain't broke.
Don't need cruise control either.

Let's start taking things away, decreasing the cost of the car, and making it lighter in the process. Seems like we are getting spoiled with all the gadgets these days.

heck, make 'radio delete' an option. I use an iPod for music.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #272
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
When I bought my new '83 Z28 at the age of 20 it was $11,678.00. My insurance was $954 a year!!!
I for one am glad the V6 is out there and makes the car accessible to people who are below the age of 25. It is a very important part of the business.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #273
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Janet, a LOT of great feedback here, and on the other two sub-forums as well.

A suggestion:

Could the more often-mentioned items be posted, as a MULTIPLE CHOICE POLL, for General Feedback, once these threads have run their course?
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #274
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
The retro look trim on the gills in front of the back wheels (similar to the 69 chrome trim) and then add the black tape on the inlets.

A key opening for the trunk
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #275
Maro99

Drives: Heel toe express..
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post

I understand it if you cant afford the V8 which also makes my argument more sound lol.. If you cant afford the V8 adding a bunch of factory performance upgrades will just make the V6 more expensive.. So if you can afford the added expense of V6 with performance upgrades from the factory it makes no sense that you cant afford a V8. Im really confused. IMO there is no need for V6 performance upgrades from the factory. If you want better performance go with the V8 or aftermarket if need be. Just my opinion of course, I dont think GM should waste there time making performance parts for a car that is meant to not perform as well as there V8 version. Dont get me wrong, the V6 Camaro is a great car and I have actually owened 2 v6 Camaro's in the past but factory performance packages for it dont make any sense.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #276
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maro99 View Post
I understand it if you cant afford the V8 which also makes my argument more sound lol.. If you cant afford the V8 adding a bunch of factory performance upgrades will just make the V6 more expensive.. So if you can afford the added expense of V6 with performance upgrades from the factory it makes no sense that you cant afford a V8. Im really confused. IMO there is no need for V6 performance upgrades from the factory. If you want better performance go with the V8 or aftermarket if need be. Just my opinion of course, I dont think GM should waste there time making performance parts for a car that is meant to not perform as well as there V8 version.
Believe it or not.....there is a faction of auto enthusiasts who look down at the concept of a V8...I have no idea how large they are...but these people adore 370z's and Genesis coupes.

If GM could manage to whip up a V6 "Track Trim" that firmed up the suspension and whatnot...people could keep their 323hp, 30mpg appeal of the V6, and then have fun on the autocross/twisties along with the afore-mentioned cars...tap into that market - steal some sales.

It could be had on 1LTs or 2LTs...maybe a $2000.00-2500.00 package...making the comparably-equipped SS model $4000-4500 more expensive (plus gas & insurance)

I see where people are saying "just get the V8"...but I also think there's room for this idea.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #277
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Believe it or not.....there is a faction of auto enthusiasts who look down at the concept of a V8...I have no idea how large they are...but these people adore 370z's and Genesis coupes.

If GM could manage to whip up a V6 "Track Trim" that firmed up the suspension and whatnot...people could keep their 323hp, 30mpg appeal of the V6, and then have fun on the autocross/twisties along with the afore-mentioned cars...tap into that market - steal some sales.

It could be had on 1LTs or 2LTs...maybe a $2000.00-2500.00 package...making the comparably-equipped SS model $4000-4500 more expensive (plus gas & insurance)

I see where people are saying "just get the V8"...but I also think there's room for this idea.

Well said, agreed.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #278
RoachDad

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
When I bought my new '83 Z28 at the age of 20 it was $11,678.00. My insurance was $954 a year!!!
I for one am glad the V6 is out there and makes the car accessible to people who are below the age of 25. It is a very important part of the business.
I totally agree. The V6 is a valuable and very cool car. I just don't understand all the requests for performance upgrades. The whole point of the V6 is that you are willing to sacrifice some performance for cost.

How much cost difference is there between the V6 and V8? I got an SS cause all i really care about is speed. i got this V8 because the gen 5 camaro is bad ass.
RoachDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #279
RoachDad

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:

That is what I was looking for. That is a perfectly good explanation. I dig it.
RoachDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #280
Maro99

Drives: Heel toe express..
Quote:

The price of the 2lt with no added options except lets say 2.5k for a track package would only be 1k less than a 1SS. hmm.. Still dont get it, but hey I dont get alot of things lol..