Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 06-28-2014, 12:55 AM   #1
AStrayCat

Drives: 2013 Camaro RS
Alberta Warranty voiding?

So, I've got a question before I do my first modification. I've searched this forum for "Warranty" but every post references the United State's Magnuson-Moss Act.

I'm aware that modifying your car always causes warranty issues. But to what extent? If I install an Injen Cold Air Intake, in Alberta, is it purely >Damage explicitly caused by the intake, as actually proven by the dealer and not voiced, is not covered under warranty, but the rest of the warranty still applies, or is it >any modification immediately voids your entire warranty?

I can't seem to find any copy of Alberta or Federal legislation that has wording similar to the Magnuson-Moss act.
AStrayCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:44 AM   #2
NFRNOSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 IOM
I have a rotofab intake, and yet I just had an oil leak fixed under warranty. They didn't even mention the modified intake.

Still, I don't know for sure what the Canadian warranty rules and regs are.
NFRNOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
FitterMike

Drives: Camaro
Never had a problem and I have modded every single vehicle I have ever owned 3 of them brand new. I am pretty sure that the same law applies as the US but I could be wrong. I guess what it comes down to is how hard your dealer is to deal with.
Avante Garde F241 20x10 Front 20x11 Rear
Pioneer Stage 4 Sub x2, Pioneer Stage 4 3Way Components, Pioneer PRS 2 Channel ICE Amps x5
Magnuson TVS2300, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers, Roto-Fab Intake
Follow me on Instagram @flawlessdetailsinc
Tuned and Built by Davenport Motorsports.
FitterMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
mhoskins76
HTWEELZ

Drives: 2013 2SS Hot Wheels Edition
You can do any modification you want to your car, as long as it is not what caused the specific problem to your car (and the dealer has to prove it without a doubt), they have to honor the warranty...no questions asked.

If a certain dealer gives you an issue, take it to another one.
DELIVERED APRIL 22nd, 2013 and enjoying every minute since!

Mods:
Cold Air Inductions CAI, CNC Ported Throttle Body, Elite Engineering Oil Catch Can, Smoked Spyder LED Tail Lights, 12" JBL Sub, JBL Amp, Stealth Sub Box, American Racing LT headers and hi-flo cats, Tuned by Davenport, Custom painted interior pieces, Custom painted hood liner and trunk liner, Niche Targa M-130 wheels, LED side markers
mhoskins76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
AStrayCat

Drives: 2013 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoskins76 View Post
You can do any modification you want to your car, as long as it is not what caused the specific problem to your car (and the dealer has to prove it without a doubt), they have to honor the warranty...no questions asked.

If a certain dealer gives you an issue, take it to another one.
I understand that information- but I'm looking for specific Canadian legislation explicitly stating so.

A lot of people quote that bit of law, but all I've been able to find is U.S. Regulation. That won't hold up here.
AStrayCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:57 PM   #6
B-Wild

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStrayCat View Post
I understand that information- but I'm looking for specific Canadian legislation explicitly stating so.

A lot of people quote that bit of law, but all I've been able to find is U.S. Regulation. That won't hold up here.
I'm not a lawyer but I know from a personal observation you are more than likely screwed. There was a Ford dealer here that was modifying vehicles and putting warranty claims through Ford for aftermarket tuning and modifications when owner had trouble. Ford found out and back charged the dealer, the back charge was big enough that it bankrupt the dealer.

Long story short, it was the manufacturer that indirectly voided the warranty.

Current rides:
2007 Z51 Corvette Coupe

Previously owned rides:
2013 2SS Camaro Coupe
2000 Lingenfelter FRC Corvette
1997 WS6 Firebird TransAm
1980 Formula Firebird
B-Wild is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cai, warranty