Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
Qui3tStorm

Drives: 11 Camaro 2SS
Removing resonator on catback

I have the Solo Performance Mach XL system, overall it is not loud enough and I'm running LTs. My thoughts are to remove the resonator with some straights in place. Has anyone done something similar to their aftermarket exhausts? All of my buddies cars are louder, not obnoxious either, nice tones.
Qui3tStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui3tStorm View Post
I have the Solo Performance Mach XL system, overall it is not loud enough and I'm running LTs. My thoughts are to remove the resonator with some straights in place. Has anyone done something similar to their aftermarket exhausts? All of my buddies cars are louder, not obnoxious either, nice tones.
I did it, worst mistake I ever made regarding my exhaust. It gives the exhaust a hollow raspy sound that is horrid. Now I'm scrapping my entire setup for a SW Retro Chambered.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
Qui3tStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
I did it, worst mistake I ever made regarding my exhaust. It gives the exhaust a hollow raspy sound that is horrid. Now I'm scrapping my entire setup for a SW Retro Chambered.
What exhaust did you have that you moddifed? I was thinking of going to SW route to match the LTs, but don't really way fork over another G when I have a ample exhaust now.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
LS3 SS

Quote:
What exhaust did you have that you moddifed? I was thinking of going to SW route to match the LTs, but don't really way fork over another G when I have a ample exhaust now.
I have/had a Solo Mach X catback. Just like you, it wasn't loud enough. Added Hi flow cats, wasn't loud enough. Added LT's..still wasn't loud enough. I added Electric cutouts, and those were loud, but the exhaust itself wasn't. So I cut the resonators out, and now when my cutouts are closed, the exhaust sounds like crap.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
Qui3tStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
I have/had a Solo Mach X catback. Just like you, it wasn't loud enough. Added Hi flow cats, wasn't loud enough. Added LT's..still wasn't loud enough. I added Electric cutouts, and those were loud, but the exhaust itself wasn't. So I cut the resonators out, and now when my cutouts are closed, the exhaust sounds like crap.
Damn! Yea even my buddies with catbacks (no LTs) sound more aggressive than my car. SLP, SW ...
Old 07-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #6
LS3 SS

Quote:
Damn! Yea even my buddies with catbacks (no LTs) sound more aggressive than my car. SLP, SW ...
I know what you mean. I have to bite the bullet and scrap my entire setup (sell the cutouts too) and go back to a traditional catback (SW 3'' Retro) just to be happy. It sucks to know I invested that much into my exhaust, but you live and you learn. I also came to the realization that Solo catbacks just aren't "loud". They have a nice low rumble, but they are only loud when you are WOT. Good luck brother in whatever you decide.