Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 07-31-2014, 02:42 PM   #15
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo.fighter View Post
I like yours are alot! I was already looking intot he MRT louver but the question is... is it worth paying an extra $100.00 to be able to lift it up with a latch.. hmmmm
Yeah. Because even with a good washing, junk will still inevitably accumulate on your windshield on the rear glass. I own these and they come with a tool to release the latches that hold them in place, but I've gotten used to using my index finger to do the same job. It's not that hard, and I think if you're going to get louvers, you should go with aluminium like these, not plastic.

The MRT design is great. It has a curvature to the louver panels that matches closely to the swooping curves of the camaro's body design, including the deck lid, rather than being completely square and sort of "just there" like other designs. It compliments the "shark fin" antennae on the roof. The vertical cross-members of the louvers are tucked in deep, creating a very clean look. Some people, including some techs at a Chevy dealership (who were frankly idiots, however), thought it was GM-installed option…

This isn't the best pic, but it shows part of the louvers. You get the idea. I have no intent to paint them gloss black. The powder coated finish matches the satin color of my "type 41" ZL1 / 1LE style rims.

Last edited by RenegadeXR; 07-31-2014 at 10:09 PM.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:32 PM   #16
DwRed1LTV6

Drives: '11 VR 2LT HHr
Astra Hammond ABS Rear Window Louver - Textured Black AS1565

http://www.apex-speed.com/astra-hamm...ck-as1565.html

DwRed1LTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #17
foo.fighter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
Yeah. Because even with a good washing, junk will still inevitably accumulate on your windshield on the rear glass. I own these and they come with a tool to release the latches that hold them in place, but I've gotten used to using my index finger to do the same job. It's not that hard, and I think if you're going to get louvers, you should go with aluminium like these, not plastic.

The MRT design is great. It has a curvature to the louver panels that matches closely to the swooping curves of the camaro's body design, including the deck lid, rather than being completely square and sort of "just there" like other designs. It compliments the "shark fin" antennae on the roof. The vertical cross-members of the louvers are tucked in deep, creating a very clean look. Some people, including some techs at a Chevy dealership (who were frankly idiots, however), thought it was GM-installed option…

This isn't the best pic, but it shows part of the louvers. You get the idea. I have no intent to paint them gloss black. The powder coated finish matches the satin color of my "type 41" ZL1 / 1LE style rims.
wow thanks for the info dude! now you've kinda convinced me to go back and take another hard look at the mrt...
foo.fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:52 PM   #18
Envy
Bully Proof

Drives: C5 COTW 1/31/2011
I went with the Astra Hammond ABS Rear Window Louvers because I don't like how aluminum louvers weather over time. As mentioned above...they come off with four retaining screw caps and can be moved out of the way for cleaning underneath...unlike the MRT's which just prop up.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:50 AM   #19
Dirtdog
Pro Hide n Seek Player

Drives: 2010 SS LS3/LSA 620whp/630tq
Send a message via AIM to Dirtdog
[QUOTE=Envy;7861295]I went with the Astra Hammond ABS Rear Window Louvers because I don't like how aluminum louvers weather over time. As mentioned above...they come off with four retaining screw caps and can be moved out of the way for cleaning underneath...unlike the MRT's which just prop up.
QUOTE]

off topic: which spoiler is that?

620whp/630wtq. ADM LSA Conversion, E85, PFADT Tri-Y Headers into Borla S, PFADT Swaybars, Springs, Links, 20x10 20x11 Forgestar F14s, Lots of AAC
Dirtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:04 AM   #20
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
[QUOTE=Dirtdog;7861351]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
I went with the Astra Hammond ABS Rear Window Louvers because I don't like how aluminum louvers weather over time. As mentioned above...they come off with four retaining screw caps and can be moved out of the way for cleaning underneath...unlike the MRT's which just prop up.
QUOTE]

off topic: which spoiler is that?
havoc
Old 08-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #21
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Some better pictures of the MRT louvers, since my last one was pretty bad. This also shows the quick release system.

Above, you can see the prop rod and latch system. Basically, there are two hinges near the top, and the bottom is kept secured by some clips that swing outward with the pull of a finger. To keep it raised during cleaning, there are two rods that pivot downward and are coated in plastic on the ends and are held in place on the glass by the friction. So no need to remove the entire thing every time you want to clean your rear window. Less risk of randomly scratching up your car.

So far, the aluminum is holding up fine after 2 years. None of the powder coating is fading. I think these look better than ABS plastic, but I could be subconsciously defending my own purchase. :P
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:17 AM   #22
foo.fighter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
Some better pictures of the MRT louvers, since my last one was pretty bad. This also shows the quick release system.

Above, you can see the prop rod and latch system. Basically, there are two hinges near the top, and the bottom is kept secured by some clips that swing outward with the pull of a finger. To keep it raised during cleaning, there are two rods that pivot downward and are coated in plastic on the ends and are held in place on the glass by the friction. So no need to remove the entire thing every time you want to clean your rear window. Less risk of randomly scratching up your car.

So far, the aluminum is holding up fine after 2 years. None of the powder coating is fading. I think these look better than ABS plastic, but I could be subconsciously defending my own purchase. :P
it looks amazing! the prop rods was almost a bonus for me because the mrt looks hella sick. I think the op should get this, I know I am
foo.fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #23
Hardymon

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 Yellow
I like the look of those MRTs, have you noticed any noise or other issues with them? I'm fairly confident I want to do louvers on my car, if only because not many people do and I'm tired of seeing "my car" around when I'm not driving it.
Hardymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #24
IrocJack

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS RJT
Has anyone painted to match car ? I painted the one on my 86 Iroc and it looked pretty sharp.
IrocJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:22 AM   #25
IrocJack

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS RJT
Anyone have a louver on a RJT ? I was thinking of painting to match car.
IrocJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:35 AM   #26
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
I like them on other peoples cars..

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:20 AM   #27
Castrosua

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
I got the MRT louvers too, and they will be going on my RRM (am I the first with RRM? not that it matters)

I would have put them on already but, this week I decide if Im moving up to an SS before you can no longer order them. Either way, I will be putting on the louvers. For one, the box is massive and its blocking my fridge! lol
1972 Lincoln Continental fully original down to paint
Castrosua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:24 AM   #28
Castrosua

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
The past few days, the site is just swamped. I had just typed up a response but nope, error again...anyway, short version

got MRT louvers. Look awesome. Have 2LS debating 2SS so no pics yet. Stay tuned.
1972 Lincoln Continental fully original down to paint
Castrosua is offline   Reply With Quote