Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 05-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #295
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
I'm going to paint the front for sure. I'm just trying to work out how to run the EL wire now. From what I can tell the plastic they use for the cloth inserts is not clear.

I'm thinking of trying to run just exposed EL wire across the top of the trim but I'm not 100% sure how I'd secure it yet. I want to try to steer clear of glues because I'd like to be able to replace the wire if it ever failed. But I'm not sure if 3M double sided tape will be enough to hold it in place. lots of thinkin' to do.....
Old 05-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #296
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Use the clear tubing from home depot or an aquarium store. use the bendable type. then, use hot glue to hold it in place. just a thought
since you are not using glues on the wire directly, you will be able to change out the wire later on if you need.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #297
wylde1
I am the Stig

yep that had occurred to me, but I'm not sure how it would look having a big tube along the outside edge.

How thick is the plastic on the door panels? I know it's thick enough to do on the dash pieces, but I'm thinking of grooving the top edge of the dash pieces to fit the 2.2 mm EL wire in. I have done some intricate dremeling work in the past and I'm confident I can do it. Just not sure how much material there is to play with on the door panels...

would anyone with their panels currently off be able to check that out real quick?? even if it was ~4 mils it would still be plenty strong. I'd only probably do about a 1 mil groove to keep the wire in line, and then put some 3M clear tape over it to secure it. Then it's just a matter of removing tape if I need to change the wire.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #298
wylde1
I am the Stig

here's another question about the power inverter. does the length it's talking about mean how much EL wire it can run? or how much distance from the inverter it can run?

say I have the 0-4 ft inverter. and mount it in the dash next to the drivers side fuse box. can I run 4 ft of speaker wire and then 4 ft of EL wire on the end of that? or does the total amount of wire in general have to add up to 4 ft?

make any sense?
Old 05-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #299
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
yep that had occurred to me, but I'm not sure how it would look having a big tube along the outside edge.

How thick is the plastic on the door panels? I know it's thick enough to do on the dash pieces, but I'm thinking of grooving the top edge of the dash pieces to fit the 2.2 mm EL wire in. I have done some intricate dremeling work in the past and I'm confident I can do it. Just not sure how much material there is to play with on the door panels...

would anyone with their panels currently off be able to check that out real quick?? even if it was ~4 mils it would still be plenty strong. I'd only probably do about a 1 mil groove to keep the wire in line, and then put some 3M clear tape over it to secure it. Then it's just a matter of removing tape if I need to change the wire.
mm...nah. don't put any tubes out the outside edge. Leave them on the inside where they were originally meant to be run.

The plastic is not thick enough to make a groove in it and actually lay the wire down (for the door panels). It wouldn't work. Sure, the dash parts are thick enough to do a SMALL line in the plastic. I mean, go for it if you think you can do it. But, the integrity of the panel is going to be compromised as well since you are going to be cutting a pretty long line in the panel. If after you cut that line and install, and I push on teh panel, it's going to bend in pretty well. I wouldn't do it. Just run it on the inside. You can sand w/ 2,000 grit and use a polisher to get the plastic panel clean again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
here's another question about the power inverter. does the length it's talking about mean how much EL wire it can run? or how much distance from the inverter it can run?

say I have the 0-4 ft inverter. and mount it in the dash next to the drivers side fuse box. can I run 4 ft of speaker wire and then 4 ft of EL wire on the end of that? or does the total amount of wire in general have to add up to 4 ft?

make any sense?
To my understanding, you can run the speaker wire and then the el wire. I think it's how much power the inverter pulls from lighted wire...the draw. Speaker wire won't pull any power...just the wire that lights up. That is how I understood it. You will quickly find out if that 4ft inverter will work before even installing it just by hooking the two up and turning the power on. If it flickers, it won't work. I still have all my el wire stuff...wish I could find some use for it. I thought about using it for the glove or the trunk. I might need a bunch more wire.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #300
wylde1
I am the Stig

ok that makes sense about the wire length

If i could put the wires on the back side of the panel I would for sure. But I have a 1SS and my panels are cloth covered. I don't think the plastic is clear on these ones so the light won't come through the panel. That's why I'm trying to think of a way to do it on the outside
Old 05-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #301
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Yeah...you'd have to rip out the entire cloth and paint the panel. SUPER hard to do if painting on the inside (get a shop to do it) and if you paint on the outside, difficult, but can be done.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #302
wylde1
I am the Stig

yeah I plan to take off the cloth and paint the panel. But I cant do it on the back side because it is not clear plastic underneath the cloth like you guys got with the painted panels. I think it's white on the doors and black on the dash
Old 06-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #303
torranosaurus
Banned

Drives: 2010 orange 2SS
Am about 80% done with the lime green EL in my synergy. Looks great, and the color match is dead on.
torranosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:43 AM   #304
Blacky

Drives: Camaro 2010
have finished m y El wire ABL in my 1SS looks amazing
the Trim Kit i have Wrapped with 3D Carbon look vinyl, and the armrest with Alcantara

Old 06-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #305
SouthJerseyGuy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS
Send a message via AIM to SouthJerseyGuy
is that behind or in front of the trim pieces?
SouthJerseyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #306
Blacky

its in the front, becaus i have not the transparente 2SS panels, have put it on my changed 1SS Trim Kit
Old 06-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #307
wylde1
I am the Stig

Blacky That looks awesome!

I have been trying to figure out how to do this to my 1SS as well. How did you secure the EL wire to the panel?
Old 06-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #308
Blacky

here it gives speziell EL wire with "keder" <dont know its the right word in english, with that its easy to glue it from behind on the panels. have the complete work do in 1 Day

EL wire looks like this