Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
MacTruck

Drives: Camaro RS
Dealership stole my TPMS sensors!

I posted a few months back about trading my 2SS with sunroof for a 2SS with no sunroof because my head was rubbing on the headliner. That story took a turn when the dealer sold me a camaro that had been in an accident. Well after much trouble they eventually got me another camaro not wrecked.

Well the story continues. I had an extra set of rims for my camaro. They were the dark RS 20" rims. The camaro that I got first had the polished aluminum rims. I put my rims on it the day I got home. They looked great. Well when I noticed the damage on the car I took it back immediately to show them. I had not even had a chance to put the polished rims back on. When they got me another car I said I would bring the polished rims down in my truck and they could swap them back on so I could get my dark RS rims back. They agreed.

Well I just put those RS rims on yesterday and this morning driving to work the TPMS sensors errored out. I looked at the valve stems and they are cheap regular ones.

THEY STOLE MY TPMS SENSORS!

What a bunch of freakin crooks. Why would they do that? I wondered why it took them 2 hrs to swap the rims. They were dismounting the tires to get the TPMS sensors out of them. Bastards. Gonna cost me $360 installed to get them put back in at another dealer.
MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
2SSARMY
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS/RS
Get a lawyer?
2SSARMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
PB3

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS/GFX/M6
Go get'em?
Old 04-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
they didn't steal them.

whenever you take a wheel or tire off the car, and either put a different set on or rotate the wheels/tires. the TPMS sensors have to be recalibrated.

read in the user manual how to reset the tpms sensors. previous GM cars required a recalibration tool that the dealer will have. i dunno if our car requires that or not.

if you do not feel like dealing with the dealership anymore and there is a Discount Tire Co. shop near you, take it there. they will have the tool; i know this cuz i worked for one in Houston for 4 years

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
they didn't steal them.

whenever you take a wheel or tire off the car, and either put a different set on or rotate the wheels/tires. the TPMS sensors have to be recalibrated.

read in the user manual how to reset the tpms sensors. previous GM cars required a recalibration tool that the dealer will have. i dunno if our car requires that or not.

if you do not feel like dealing with the dealership anymore and there is a Discount Tire Co. shop near you, take it there. they will have the tool; i know this cuz i worked for one in Houston for 4 years
Wow did you even read the post? Well that's a stupid question as you obviously didn't.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
they didn't steal them.

You might be on to something, they might have replaced the sensors, but they need to be re-calibrated, i honestly don't think they are stupid enough to steal those.

when i replaced the wheels, i didn't got an error until like the second day.

I would try out the calibration sequence first before i start making some noise

Good luck.
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
MacTruck

The the thing is I drove around with those wheels on for weeks before I took them to the dealer and never had an issue. Now all of a sudden since putting them back on for the first time from the dealer the sensors are reporting _ instead of a like 32psi. Just 4 lines and the yellow error light. The stems are not the thick ones on my other wheels but skinny black rubber ones. They stole them. I called another dealer and she said that those are on heavy backorder from GM for months. Kinda says it all. They could not get them, they felt pissed they had to get me another car and figured they could make some money selling them to another customer at $67 a pop.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSARMY View Post
Get a lawyer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB3 View Post
Go get'em?
x100
Old 04-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #9
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
sorry to hear that, i know its youre stuff and you know best,
but why dont you do a quick test, its only going to take you a few minutes. if it honks when you let air out, then the sensors are still there.
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #10
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
if it was me,i would just tell the dealer that you want the original oem sensors on the car and if they are on back order,to let you know when they come in.you paid for the original and you should get original.there should be no cost to you what so ever.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
MacTruck

Dealer that stole them denies it. Ofcourse.

Called discount tire. They can get them installed for $158. They say you put them in and the car learns them. Nuff said.

Dealer says thats wrong. Need to use some handheld device to program them.

Which one is it? Discount tire says its the same sensor GM uses. Same manufacturer and that the handheld device thing is BS.

Anyone know for sure?

UPDATE: Just called another discount tire. They say completely differnt info. They say you need to use the scanner to do it. They also say swapping wheels with them both in will need recalibration each time. Geez.

Last edited by MacTruck; 04-20-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #12
xtreme industries

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2lt RS
you can reprogram them your self. turn the key to the on position (engine not running) go to the screen for the tire pressure, push reset, start with the driver front tire and let air out of the tire until the horn beeps, go to passenger side front tire, let air out till the horn beeps, passenger rear do the same, drivers rear do the same. then the horn should beep twice to confirm that they are in sync. turn the key to off. fill up your tires to the correct pressure. get in and start car. everythng should read fine now. that is of course if the TPMS are still there.
xtreme industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #13
MacTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme industries View Post
you can reprogram them your self. turn the key to the on position (engine not running) go to the screen for the tire pressure, push reset, start with the driver front tire and let air out of the tire until the horn beeps, go to passenger side front tire, let air out till the horn beeps, passenger rear do the same, drivers rear do the same. then the horn should beep twice to confirm that they are in sync. turn the key to off. fill up your tires to the correct pressure. get in and start car. everythng should read fine now. that is of course if the TPMS are still there.

Thanks. I have to see if that works. Starting to wonder now. I kind of hope they are not in there as I just called the dealer and told them they were crooks.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #14
Lucky SOB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Yes! I love pointing fingers!

Goodluck