Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-01-2016, 01:06 PM   #1
DaFisch
Master Amateur Mechanic

Drives: Victory Red 2011 2SS/RS
A rant and Question

Story Time:
I was blessed to win a 2011 camaro 2ss/rs in a raffle at the age of 15. My parents wouldn't let me drive the car for a year and it sat in the garage.

At the age of 16 I drove it everywhere, it was crazy power but I wanted more, so I planned on doing a cam package from Speed Inc., 15 minutes away from my house outside Chicago. That summer my friend rear ended me and the car was in the body shop for 2 and a half months getting fixed. Being new to cars I had them do some upgrades for me, a high rise spoiler and sideskirts from PHasket Performance. The next mod that I did by myself was a rear louver, I thought it looked Badass. Moving forward I met Pete from Showstoppers at a local event and started having him do some work for me. I went through fascia and bumper and hoods and color schemes before arriving where I am today.

When I was 17 I finally pulled the trigger and had the car over at Speed Inc for a cam package and tune, the car made 455 wrhp for a l99 to ls3, yank 3200 stall, cam and springs rods etc.

The car ran well for a year but I still wanted more. My friend bought a 2011 camaro 2ss rs as well and his was stock, and my other friend who does f3 racing's parents bought him a 2014 GTR alpha package as a graduation present. knowing that I needed muscle to shop up imports I looked and scowered the internet for a used turbo kit package. I found a turbonetics t76 turbo kit on the fourms and jumped on it for about 4k. I brought it to a shop the month before summer called Black Dog speed shop. They promised two weeks and after months and 5000 later the car wouldn't even run correctly and was set to 5 psi making 470 hp.. 20 hp from a turbo kit. I brought the car to Speed Inc again (my second summer without the car) and they fixed it up in a week, sending me a list of all the work that was done improperly. The bill was 2-3k but the car was running well at 606 wrhp at 10 psi.

I was at school when the car was picked up by my father and only drove it once while the weather was nice during the beginning of Winter Break. When I returned home from school in may at the begginning of this year (7 months ago) I found that my father and mother had unplugged the trickle charger that I kept on the car for a freezer.. I plugged the car in and charged her up for 2 hours before going for a drive. I noticed that the RPM gauge wasn't turning on and so I brought her home and charged her again. I was at pep boys where I couldn't get the car to turn on coincidently, and a guy from The Chicago Garage helped me out in diagnosing it. I brought the car to speed inc but before they could look at it I changed the battery in 102 degree weather, grabbed the keys left by the tow truck, and drove her home. Two days later my girlfriend and I were going to look at a rx8 and I was merging on the highway on my 505 wrhp tune. I punched it and at 60 mph I heard a loud pop. The car wouldn't drive the same. I drove the 10 miles home and she sat in the garage for 2 months. From there I brought the car to AD Motorsports who specializes in boosted applications and a local member and member on here recommended and works at. They took 2 months to get the car in the garage and summer for the third year was half way over. Upon tearing into the engine they found that the walls were severely scarred and three cylinders detonated.

I decided to get a 418 from Texas Speed, ls3 short block with a forged rotating assembly, all the bells and whistled. When we inspected the heads we found that it would cost more to fix them then they were worth so I called up Texas Speed and they recommended a middle range set of heads for me that would work with my turbo application. After a week of waiting I called back up and they told me that their was a problem in casting them and it would be 3 weeks. They were awesome to work with and gave me a set of lsx heads discounted 450$ because of the wait. After the block and heads were purchased I knew I needed to step up my cam game. I bought a turbo cam after doing some research on the fourms and dropped it off. It took a few weeks to sort out the engine, they moved all the small pieces from the old engine to the new, got a special harmonic balancer, new gaskets etc.. The engine was looking good. When my builder asked me what I wanted to do with the intake manifold I told him that I found online people said the stock manifold was holding boost better than the fast manifold that I had. He bought it instantly from me for 400$ for his g8. A few days later in the shop the engine was sitting back in the car and he asked me if I had any plans for the transmission. I told him I'd probably stay with a 6l80e and he told me I'd blow it. I talked to my friend Cory who told me that he had his transmission built at 700 wrhp on a supercharger and that it was holding well. Knowing that I could get mine built 2500-3000 I decided that I'd go for a 4l80e. Keeping overdrive, less gears, bullet proof. I found a 4l80e on ebay after looking at local junkyards for a week. I purchased billet internals as well as rebuild kits from Jakes, Monster, etc. I dropped the trasmission off at a Shop called AC Tranmission who rebuilt the entire thing for 600$. I also purchased a transmission controller from PCM of NC(?). 3500 down for the transmission but I knew that it would be worth it. I then sourced a new driveshaft that worked with a 4l80e. The shop installed rear cradle bushings, driveshaft (alum) and the transmission with a 3200 stall multidisk Circle D Converter (also got a sweet deal and they were really great to work with when picking one out for my application) After having the transmission and engine and driveshaft sorted out I knew that I wanted more power from a turbo. I sold the turbo kit on the fourms to a member for 3500 and returned the bigger turbo that I had bought for the kit for 1900. With those funds I purchased a new twin turbo it from Fabberage, the Super Charger Killer Kit with upgraded turbos (the option said 1200). When the kit got in we found that it didn't work with the 4l80e and they spent a week cutting it up and refabbing it to fit my application. Turbo kit, trans, engine, driveshaft and all the smaller things sorted out they also put in a fore fuel pump and I ended up going with a Holley High rise intake manifold. I forgot to mention I sold the zl1 fuel pump and id850's in the fourms and purchased a return style Squash Pump and id1300 injectors (in hindsight I wish I went with the 2000s but I found the injectors in colorado from a speed shop brand new for 850$) Now that everything is finally build we have the car up and running as of 2 days ago and for the first time in 3-4 years I think that I'll finally be able to enjoy her. Shop after shop and countless thousands and hours have been spent on my baby and she has never been right. Today it snowed 4-5 inches but when she is done she will finally be tuned by Adam over at AD and I believe it is the firs time she'll ever run right. (from the cam install I think the pushrods were too long and I always had a awful knock. Also the belts were all oily and the pulleys always squeaked and it sounded like someone dieing.) Anyways, the car should be back to me by this weekend and I cannot wait to drive her. Sorry for the ramble.. question is

what do you think she will make power wise? I am hoping to see 1000 at the wheels at least. All the suspension mods have been done by me throughout the past few years. tie rods control arms coil overs driveshaft loops bushings sway bars etc.

Again, sorry for the read I just feel like I let out 4 years of rambling on you guys.
Forged 418 Ls3 from Texas Speed, LSX heads from Texas Speed, Tick Turbo cam, Jakes/PCM/Billet 4l80e, 3200 Stall converter from Circle D, DSS 750 hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, stock 3.23 gears, TSW Wheels Front 20x10 Rear 20x11.5, Fabberage Twin Turbo Supercharger Killer kit with Upgraded Turbos, Squash Dual fuel pump, Full BMR Suspension/bushings, Holly High Rise intake manifold, ID1300 Injectors, Megan Coilovers, PCM of NC plug and play trans kit. HP/TQ TBA

Last edited by DaFisch; 03-01-2016 at 03:29 PM.
DaFisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:45 PM   #2
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
I want the last 5 min of my life back......
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:49 PM   #3
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
yeah... not reading that
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:06 PM   #4
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
The short version:

418 from Texas Speed
lsx heads
turbo cam
twin turbo [k]it from Fabberge, the Super Charger Killer Kit with upgraded turbos
4l80e
Holley High rise intake
Squash Pump and id1300 injectors

what do you think she will make power wise? I am hoping to see 1000 at the wheels at least

Last edited by blake-b; 03-01-2016 at 05:44 PM.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:19 PM   #5
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
first few lines then scrolled down....**** that. way too much and way too few paragraphs.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:36 PM   #6
Unavowed

Drives: Twin turbo G8 GXP
1000+ on E85. For the $30+k you've spent, it better.
Unavowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:39 PM   #7
sprayedv

Drives: 2012 CTS-V, 2010 Camaro SS
almost stopped reading at "i won a car at 15" and def. stopped reading at "my friend an f3 driver got a 2014 gtr"

2012 CTS-V: Cosmetic Chute.
sprayedv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #8
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Anyone got the short version. My AD/HD will not allow a post that long.

Congrats on winning a Camaro.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:44 PM   #9
GetYouOne

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Must be nice to have rich parents.....
GetYouOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:29 AM   #10
malscott

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
lmao! he definitely took the long way home on that one, that was hilarious bro
malscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:54 AM   #11
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
I got a headache now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:47 AM   #12
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
I want to know who's paying for all this? Dude's like 21. Even if I had a free car at 21 I couldn't afford that kind of mods...

You never mentioned your fuel. straight 93 octane? meth? e85?
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #13
DaFisch
Master Amateur Mechanic

Drives: Victory Red 2011 2SS/RS
I am 20 and work in a family business doing real estate. I graduated college early and have been working for a few years. I pay for it. And my friend who got a grr his dad is a f1 driver and bought it for him. Also owns some shipping company or something. Sorry for the long read guys.
Forged 418 Ls3 from Texas Speed, LSX heads from Texas Speed, Tick Turbo cam, Jakes/PCM/Billet 4l80e, 3200 Stall converter from Circle D, DSS 750 hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, stock 3.23 gears, TSW Wheels Front 20x10 Rear 20x11.5, Fabberage Twin Turbo Supercharger Killer kit with Upgraded Turbos, Squash Dual fuel pump, Full BMR Suspension/bushings, Holly High Rise intake manifold, ID1300 Injectors, Megan Coilovers, PCM of NC plug and play trans kit. HP/TQ TBA
DaFisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:29 AM   #14
sprayedv

Drives: 2012 CTS-V, 2010 Camaro SS
ID1300s and you want 1,000whp+ lol.

Way to cheap out on your injectors. If you're thinking E85 you're going to be pretty close to max duty cycle trying to achieve that power level.

2012 CTS-V: Cosmetic Chute.
sprayedv is offline   Reply With Quote