Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 03-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #15
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
While I agree with this, one also needs to factor in reliability. If you're trying to reach a certain hp number the SS will be more reliable at that level everytime.

I'm NOT saying everyone will have an issue. BUT everyone knows all the problems I've run into. Some IPF owners have had issues (usually pretty minor), and we all know STS sucks. Yes I know saying you gotta pay to play but in the long run I'm thinking you gotta pay more to play with a V6.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
At any v6 power level, the SS will be a lot more reliable. It's not until you start getting into mid to upper 600's that things start to break on the SS.

Since no v6 has ever touched those numbers, we don't know what will happen with the v6 there.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #16
Limegeenmachine

Drives: 2010 rs synergy green
Thanks for all the input guys. I am pretty happy with the power of the v6 and my gas bill ( coming from a lifted and built f250 diesel). I definitely appreciate the reliability and the warranty of my camaro and don't want to loose that. With all that in consideration I think a V8 with the bolt-ons is the way to go for myself.
Limegeenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #17
Limegeenmachine

Drives: 2010 rs synergy green
On a side note I had a conversation with a gm rep at the auto show here in okc and "he could neither nor deny" that there would be a ls7 camaro in the near future, but he said don't be surprised in a way like it had already been built and he had test drove it. This coming after we had disused the price variance between the ss and zl1
Limegeenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:43 AM   #18
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegeenmachine View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. I am pretty happy with the power of the v6 and my gas bill ( coming from a lifted and built f250 diesel). I definitely appreciate the reliability and the warranty of my camaro and don't want to loose that. With all that in consideration I think a V8 with the bolt-ons is the way to go for myself.
I definitely agree with you here. If you want reliability and a warranty, the v8 with bolt-ons is the better choice. But please don't forget that you can't do a lot to the SS before you require a tune and that will definitely void your warranty.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #19
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
I definitely agree with you here. If you want reliability and a warranty, the v8 with bolt-ons is the better choice. But please don't forget that you can't do a lot to the SS before you require a tune and that will definitely void your warranty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #20
warj1990

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
I like the idea of the new v6 engine. Just seems this has many more features over the current v8's. Like VVT, independent knock sensors and timing on each cylinder,7000 rpm limit, and direct injection. These are what sold me on the 2012 v6 to begin with.

I like the sound of the v8, but I also like the idea of smashing the gas from a stop sign or red light without a cop 12 blocks away looking for you, so v6 still wins that one.

I'm debating on v6 supercharged or wait on direct injection v8 with the same features mentioned.

One of my hesitation points is how the traction control handles the added power of the FI kits. I know it handles well now with the current power, I just don't want to be mid curve and be thinking I did this a hundred times and skid off the road or loose control.
warj1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #21
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Amazing how much more we know now than a month ago.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #22
warj1990

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Amazing how much more we know now than a month ago.
Ok, I can take a hint. I'm slow. I can say I taken my car around a 90 degree turn with a speed limit sign of 10 mph at 45 mph. I know when the back end breaks loose the front wheels independently clamp down and keep your nose in the right direction.
Never crossed the yellow line of the road at any point.

The traction control does have a 1/2 to 1 second delay before applying power back to the rear wheels.

I know the current limits of this car and no one has addressed this or commented with the FI kits. Seems everyone wants to go fast in a strait line.
warj1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #23
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by warj1990 View Post
Ok, I can take a hint. I'm slow. I can say I taken my car around a 90 degree turn with a speed limit sign of 10 mph at 45 mph. I know when the back end breaks loose the front wheels independently clamp down and keep your nose in the right direction.
Never crossed the yellow line of the road at any point.

The traction control does have a 1/2 to 1 second delay before applying power back to the rear wheels.

I know the current limits of this car and no one has addressed this or commented with the FI kits. Seems everyone wants to go fast in a strait line.

Sorry, that wasn't directed at you or prompted by your post. Your post just brought the thread back up to the top and I read all the posts again. It's amazing we were questioning if the LS7 would be in the next Gen and now we see it in the Z/28. We were commenting on the limits to the V6 motor with FI and now we see it can handle a lot.

As for your question, I'm not seeing any issues with TC/Stabilitrac except at the track. Since most people turn both off there it really isn't an issue.

What you will have an issue with is that neither nanny is really designed to make the car under control all the time. You will have more power and so you can lose control quicker. You just have to be more careful with the extra power.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #24
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
I'm going to hold out on getting a SS until the 6th gen. Willing to see if they bring over the LF3 then. Well we also now know that 600RWHP with the injector plate Gretchen has is doable. We aren't limited as much now, but money is the only problem for most to enjoy a FAST V6. To some it's not justified to spend much on the V6, but then we have those few lol. Who will be the first to try the injector plate on the LLT?!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #25
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Just got home today from a week long biz trip. Rented a 2013 SS vert for the week. Apples to apples comparison against my 2011 RS V6 with an IPF SC.
After a week with the SS I'm still glad I kept my V6 and installed the SC. I'm almost 10k miles on the SC and its still like it was OEM. I like the low end V8 power but mid range and upper the V8 had nothing on my V6 SC. And the kicker is the gas mileage was almost 10mpg better. I'm not in the least tempted anymore to go with an SS.
Now if I can keep my eyes off of that 2014 vette :(