Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 07-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
blackjackcamaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro black 1SS
Racing a stock 5th generation Camaro on a track or Autocross

I currently own a 2011 Camaro V8. I was wondering if any of you guys autocrossed or track drove the car without suspension upgrades or tire upgrades. I'm curious what you guys thought of the experience.

I'm not trying to break records, but I'd like to know that I was somewhat competitive with the current setup.
blackjackcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
They're not going to set any track records but with that said they are very capable. I autocrossed mine several times before modding and surprised myself and quite a few of my competitors. I got faster every event and had a great time doing it. I got to being in the top three in the stock class then the mods started bumping me up a couple classes. Now I'm working my way back up the ranks, because nit only are the cars better so are the drivers.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
blackjackcamaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro black 1SS
What is the stock class for the camaro? This one site indicated that it's an ESP class according to the SCCA.
blackjackcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Depends on the event, Super Chevy has a class for novice, SCCA I think it depends on what group, but Solo seems to be the class to run and learn in. There is an event in Fontana next weekend for Autocross. Class for that one is just Muscle Cars 1993 & Up. So really just depends on who is sponsoring the event. And autocross is more about the driver than the car, as there are people that kick but in a sentra... Just go out and have fun, seat time will help improve your skills, and ride with someone else who has experience doing this, you'll learn and have a blast.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I just did my first event, ever. I think stock Camaro is CP or ESP.

I have FI power adder so I was placed in EM. All Miata's and a Subaru RS.

It was a blast, but driver skills made my times hilarious. If you keep it near stock without power adders, you'll be more competitive. Once you go supercharger or Turbo, all bets off. I believe everyone in my class was running race tires, too. Nitto Invos and staggered setup is not optimum.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
EdRedCamaro2
4BC Motorsports

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackcamaro View Post
I currently own a 2011 Camaro V8. I was wondering if any of you guys autocrossed or track drove the car without suspension upgrades or tire upgrades. I'm curious what you guys thought of the experience.

I'm not trying to break records, but I'd like to know that I was somewhat competitive with the current setup.
Hey Blackjack, I encourage you to go online to www.scca.org, click on "Solo" at the top, then "Find your region". Click the yellow section of map. You will see there is an SCCA group in Vegas, click on region 72 and it will go to their current schedule.

A bone stock Camaro SS is classed as FS (F Stock) which is listed as "V-8, NOC" (Not otherwise classified). You'll be up against other heavy, higher-HP coupes and sedans. And fortunately, you're not classed with Minis, Miatas, etc. that can run rings around us!

You must go on the novice walk before your first event, very helpful. You will learn a ton about handling your car at the limits, and discover that with even 43 lb of air in your front tires, it still understeers badly. Talk to others there, I'm sure they will be glad to help a newbie. It's a blast!

Try some runs with your electronics on, then try it in Competitive Mode. Don't turn it all the way off.

As I say, "Pound for pound, the most fun you can have with your clothes on!"
Arrived 9/24/09

"In racing, they say that your car goes where your eyes go...I know it's true; racing doesn't lie" The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
EdRedCamaro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
sting808

I was tempted to turn everything off... Think I would spin out or get squirrelly?

Car still understeers with staggered tires and upgraded suspension. Didn't Want a thick race rear bar so went with a street setup on stiffest setting on rear. Didn't help when you're late to brake in 180s.

Those boosted Miata's on a small technical course kicks ass. I think I was the heaviest car running that day, next to the challenger RT.

Blackjack, regardless if you're competitive or not, it's a blast. I never pushed this car as much as I did that autox day.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
2quick

Drives: none
Turn everything off. Worse thing you can do is hit a cone. Try it you may like going crazy with the nannies gone. lol
2quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2quick View Post
Turn everything off. Worse thing you can do is hit a cone. Try it you may like going crazy with the nannies gone. lol
What he said.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
EdRedCamaro2
4BC Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting808 View Post
I was tempted to turn everything off... Think I would spin out or get squirrelly?

Car still understeers with staggered tires and upgraded suspension. Didn't Want a thick race rear bar so went with a street setup on stiffest setting on rear. Didn't help when you're late to brake in 180s.

Those boosted Miata's on a small technical course kicks ass. I think I was the heaviest car running that day, next to the challenger RT.

Blackjack, regardless if you're competitive or not, it's a blast. I never pushed this car as much as I did that autox day.
Speaking of boosted Miatas, I've been in two events with a "monster" Miata that has a Corvette LS stuffed into the engine bay, and a Mazda RX-8 with an LS engine, too. They were fantastic conversions, but it is so surprising to hear a throaty V-8 when you are expecting a totally different sound.

I have the Pfadt drop springs and adjustable sways. Car is almost neutral now, most of the understeer is gone. Next year, maybe 18" wheels with "R" compound tires.
Arrived 9/24/09

"In racing, they say that your car goes where your eyes go...I know it's true; racing doesn't lie" The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
Old 08-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
EdRedCamaro2
4BC Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977and2010 View Post
What he said.
Not for a newbie, in my opinion. We autocross at a banked short track with one car club. There are walls that can come up on you pretty quickly if your tires are cold.

With other groups in parking lots, I've seen people lose it and cross from the parking lot into drainage ditches, etc., and did some significant damage. Granted, if they had heeded the words in the drivers meeting, "foot on the brake, foot on the clutch when you spin out" instead of staying on the gas NASCAR-style, their cars would still be in one piece.
Arrived 9/24/09

Old 08-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #12
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
If you can't save the car at an Autox, Both Feet In seems to work out well. The only times I've seen cars damaged at an autox were either mechanical failures, or guys forgetting to torque their lugs after swapping to race tires... very very rarely have I seen cars getting up on curbs. The Safety Stewards are there to make sure everyone is safe and having fun, not cleaning up the lot after an incident!

The stock Camaro won't be a nationally competitive stock vehicle any time soon, but it's always fun to run off a couple weeks worth of tire compound at a weekend event! Autox is a fantastic and accessible way to get into motorsports. For those of you thinking about attending an event, get off the fence and get behind the wheel!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #13
sting808

*noob comment*

So a supercharger, coil-overs, bushings, and over stock width rims is automatic "E" Modified? This is a no chance in hell category... but a blast to do, regardless.

Would ZL-1 be considered stock category or EM?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #14
ericedelman

Drives: 2020 ZL1
I drove mine in two NASA HPDE events in the intermediate group last year before I modified the car. I did the first even with just a few hundred miles on the car! The car did fine, it's very competent on the track. I had no problems in keeping up with traffic. When stock, the car understeers, but that's not a secret at this point.

I've modified the car since then and moved up to the advanced group. The car is plenty of fun to drive. I don't autocross, but NASA is now allowing the car into the American Iron and American Iron Extreme series. There are a LOT of well prepped mustangs in that series, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackcamaro View Post