Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-08-2016, 02:19 PM   #1
GetYouOne

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Methanol Kit Question....

I want to add this to my turbo, but been seeing mixed reviews on a trunk tank or using the stock windshield washer tank. I have a speaker box in my trunk that takes up pretty much the whole trunk, so the trunk tank isnt doable. Can I mount a tank and pump up front within the engine bay?

I dont drive the car everyday and dont go crazy on boost would I be ok using the stock windshield washer tank on the car?
GetYouOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
The biggest issue with using the windshield washer tank under the hood, is capacity. Depending on how much meth you spray, it can be a PITA refilling it all the time. I dont see why you cant mount the 4 gal tank under the hood, as opposed to the trunk, if you can find the space.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:42 PM   #3
1KillerSS

This may be an option for you.

http://www.jdpmotorsports.com/brands...nk-ais-camtank

It does not take up much space at all.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
Old 04-08-2016, 04:54 PM   #4
GetYouOne

Thanks I was looking at that and from the pics looks like my sub box may be in the way. I'll have to get the measurements.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:46 PM   #5
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Here are a few pics of that tank in our Camaro trunk.
Attached Images

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:53 PM   #6
GetYouOne

Love the tank anyway u can get me measurements?
Old 04-09-2016, 02:42 AM   #7
Glushenij

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Agp has integrated AEM methanol kit for Camaro under hood , I use 1000cc nozzle! So far no problem ! I will take pic and post later
Old 04-17-2016, 09:06 PM   #8
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
Methanol Kit Question....

Here is my 4 gallon tank with my sub boxes.

Tank is 10" diameter and fits on the right in front of one of my subwoofer boxes.
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:18 PM   #9
allshotout

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro
I went with AIS 4 gallon trunk tank everything is currently being built now. Since I purchased, I have read they have tendency to leak. I hope not, it looks to be quality and will know soon enough.
allshotout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:16 AM   #10
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
How are people running the meth strictly off IATs or off a flex fuel sensor?

Thinking about adding meth to!!

Found this article....

Here is a write up of how someone wired it up on the HP Tuner forum.
It's a pretty cool idea

Dave's Flex fuel module & Alky Control kit details
Dave's flex fuel module arrived this weekend and I couldn't wait to wire her up to work with the Alky control kit.

The results were amazing, I have it setup where if the pump achieves pressure (green light on Alky control kit) the module pulls to ground and tell the PCM 100% Alcohol is entering the system. At which point you can add timing only when you're spraying methanol, as well as you can lean out your fuel system as soon as meth hits in the Stoich table.

Here is what it took to make this work.

You need a DPDT (double pole double throw) relay where one throw is normally closed, while the other is normally open. Reason being is the pressure switch on the pump pulls to ground when there is no pressure, and once pressure is achieved, it actually opens the circuit. When circuit is open (alky control kit not pulled to ground) that means there is pressure and the light on the alky goes green.

We want the opposite to happen for the flex fuel module, we want to pull to ground once pressure is achieved instead of the opposite.

By using a DPDT relay that has 6 pins (one throw normally open, one throw normally closed) using the following:

-Red wire going to meth pump goes to relay for constant power with key on
-One wire will go from relay to one end of pressure switch on meth pump
-Wire from other end of pressure switch on meth pump will go to ground
(above is done so depending on what pressure switch does, it pulls the relay on and off)
-Two ends on relay will go to direct ground (tie into wire from pressure switch thats always grounded, bottom wire on pump)
-One end on relay goes to alky control kit wire thats normally goes into one end of pressure switch
-Last end on relay goes to flex fuel module.

The above is the basics, once you look at a DPDT one throw normally open, one closed relay you'll see how its done, simple.

The idea is that once you are key on, the relay is energized because the pump with no pressure pulls to ground. The throw that opens the circuit in this condition (key on no pressure) goes to the flex fuel module, the idea is that when there is no pressure, we create an open to the flex fuel module so it does not activate. When this is happening, we want to keep the concept the same for the alky control kit, so no pressure means it pulls alky to ground.

Once pressure is achieved in the pump, the pressure switch opens, this de-energizes the DPDT relay, creating an open to the alky control kit which gives you the green light as intended, but actually pulls the flex fuel module to ground.

It's really neat, because you are now much safer running meth to add power this way. If the pump fails during a run, your light on alky will go red and the flex fuel module will tell the PCM no alcohol, so you revert back to regular timing and fueling.

Best part is you still maintain the functionality of your test button on the alky kit, if you press it, you will see the car bog while cruising and your A/F will dip indicating the nozzle is not clogged because the flex fuel module will only add timing in PE mode for those who use it for what I want.

You can tune meth by spraying on the IAT, but its not always the best way, I've noticed that once you spray the IAT it reacts real fast to colder temp, but even if meth stops flowing, it takes a while for the IAT to go up in temp, mainly because the IAT is still wet. The other drawback of of tuning for power using IAT is in Canada, you'd need a winter tune, because when I spray in the summer, the IAT temps go down to the same temps as no meth in the winter, so the tune is off.

Using Dave's flex module and using the pressure switch to add / remove timing or fueling if you like, is the safest by far.

Is this necessary or is there even better ways?

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:41 AM   #11
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
@EDFHOBBIES - That's pretty interesting, to be able to utilize methanol, and have the computer adjust fueling and timing accordingly, if I read that right. That seems like that would be the best way to go. Mine is not tuned for methanol, so I realize no performance increase from the methanol. I strictly run methanol as a safety measure against detonation from bad gas. My setup utilizes the MAF sensor for activation. I have it adjusted so that if you are just easing into the gas, it will trigger the methanol at about 32-3400 RPM, and be fully pressurized by 3800RPM, or anytime you go WOT, it goes to full pressure.

-Scott

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:53 AM   #12
1KillerSS

First off, Dsteck is the man, its a shame hes not on this forum anymore. Ed I believe this is setup to work with corn, as that's one of Dave's specialties. That I believe allows you to utilize the extra timing table, that is only available in the flex fuel part of the PCM.

Build thread
Old 04-19-2016, 12:40 PM   #13
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Ya I was going to give dave my 6th gen for R&D to convert to e85 as the vette kit he sales is a little different.

as for the 5th gen and meth I'm worried about a bad nozzle or pump problem and Bam! Seems like a safer way. A lot of people have no problems but I all ways have the worst luck lol! I'm sure if its on my car Ill have a problem lol

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 04:57 PM   #14
GetYouOne

I'm gonna run the trunk tank in mine after looking at my windshield fluid tank that came with my turbo kit their is no way it would last barely a day.

What safety measures do I need to have in place that u guys recommend if for instance their was a issue with the pump, hose ripped, etc to save the engine?

I was told a IAT sensor and to loop with my boost gauge controller?