Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-04-2015, 04:30 PM   #1
UsedToHaveSS

Drives: 2014 RS/SS
Here we go again...newest member of the stolen SS club...

So, just a little bit from my experience. Had the police stop by my house about 5 days before my car was eventually stolen right out from of my home. They came by and asked if I was the owner of the Camaro parked in front of the house, and asked if everything was alright. Apparently something had been set off on my on-star and they were sent to the house to check in (I had been inside for more than 4 hours at the time...) I let them know that I hadn't been in the car since I arrived at home. So, fast forward to about 5-6 days later park my car in front of my home and see it around 10:30pm, wake up next morning to go to the gym and car is gone! No glass, no sign of anything other than a missing Camaro. Called the cops, they came out had some really rookie questions for me related to the theft (how did they take the car if they didn't have a key, the key has a chip in it...) Really! Anyway, talked to the guy at the Auto Theft Taskforce for SJ and he said that most likely it was a pro crew that has been hitting the bay area really hard for the past year plus and that my vehicle fits everything they are looking for (SS with RS package) and that my car would turn up in about a week or so stripped. So the day before thanksgiving I got a call from CHP saying they retrieved my vehicle in East Oakland just like the officer said it would be and had no motor or tranny among other things. So, to all the Camaro SS owners out there good luck and keep your car in a garage...
UsedToHaveSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #2
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Damn. I was hoping they wouldn't make it down this far. Where in San Jose was it stolen from?
Old 12-04-2015, 04:56 PM   #3
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Theres a special place in hell for people who steal Camaros!!

Jared Royce
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:11 PM   #4
UsedToHaveSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Damn. I was hoping they wouldn't make it down this far. Where in San Jose was it stolen from?

They got me from Downtown San Jose. Around SAP Center.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:23 PM   #5
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedToHaveSS View Post
They got me from Downtown San Jose. Around SAP Center.
Damn. That sucks. Probably grabbed it and jumped on the freeway and we're gone.

I guess it was a matter of time before they started taking Camaros down here. I'm pretty confident my Camaro can't be driven away they way I have the car disabled. But I'm definitely buying a tire claw to make it more difficult to tow.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:29 PM   #6
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Sorry for your loss. I hope the insurance comes close to reimbursing you the right amount. Did the guy from the Auto Theft Taskforce have an idea of how they overrode all the theft deterrents?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:30 PM   #7

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
My son lives in Monterey and my sister lives in Berkeley....I always drive something up from SoCal other than my Camaro when I go visit them....Mine is garaged here at home, and I know it could happen anywhere, but up north really seems to be the capital of stolen Camaros...

....I wish they would publicize the arrest of the thieves and their rings. I'm usually pretty dismissive of bad-news hype, but the Camaro theft situation seems like the real deal...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:35 PM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Sorry to hear your loss, though coming on the internet only to post this on camaro5 when you have never been here before is nice to warn us thank you. I had heard about rampant Camaro theft down there in Cal . I had also heard of people breaking in cars there with electronics to trip the door locks unlocking the car through boosting the signals of cars FOBs but that's not all cars it would work on...... Anyway we store our keys far away and in Faraday bags now thanks to my wives paranoia and frankly smart thinking as I tested it and it did seem to block the reception of the FOB rather well....... With onstar active they did not notify you or anything? They may have disabled the battery/ onstar as they are evil and know how to not get caught apparently...... Dang cops need Bait Cars to bust the POS thieves. Good Luck to you I hope your insurance is covering it. You have been Oakland Raided......
Old 12-04-2015, 05:37 PM   #9
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
Geez...this Country aint what it used to be
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:43 PM   #10
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-eatin-grin View Post
Ya, especially California. Sad but we are all headed that way.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:59 PM   #11

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Here's another new one in the California forum...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431841
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:03 PM   #12
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-eatin-grin View Post
We cannot let ISIS win.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:11 PM   #13
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
Never good news, have gap insurance?
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #14
UsedToHaveSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Sorry to hear your loss, though coming on the internet only to post this on camaro5 when you have never been here before is nice to warn us thank you. I had heard about rampant Camaro theft down there in Cal . I had also heard of people breaking in cars there with electronics to trip the door locks unlocking the car through boosting the signals of cars FOBs but that's not all cars it would work on...... Anyway we store our keys far away and in Faraday bags now thanks to my wives paranoia and frankly smart thinking as I tested it and it did seem to block the reception of the FOB rather well....... With onstar active they did not notify you or anything? They may have disabled the battery/ onstar as they are evil and know how to not get caught apparently...... Dang cops need Bait Cars to bust the POS thieves. Good Luck to you I hope your insurance is covering it. You have been Oakland Raided......
Yeah it is a pretty crappy feeling to know that this is happening at such an alarming rate. It looks like from that other post from this morning that San Jose is now not safe. I remember hearing something about the Dublin/Plesanton area being hit hard a while back, but the police moved in pretty hard to slow it. Seems like they have looked for some new territory and SJ is it. The Auto Theft Taskforce told me it is a crew that has been hitting the bay really hard out of Oakland/Stockton/Sacramento and that's where the cars will eventually turn up. The On-Star was ripped out immediately and they were of no help in my situation. I knew the threat of this taking place unfortunately and tried to safe guard my vehicle but it didn't help. I work at a Dealership in Newark, CA and we have had three taken right off our lot in the middle of the night, with camera's and gates (they broke 2 fences to get a ZL1 and two SS') just be on watch and please park your vehicles in a garage if you are anywhere near the bay area. Good luck all!

Tags
camaro ss, newest victim, stolen