Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #43
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertc6 View Post
Depending on the boost psi and ambient temp. will determine the water temp coming out of the intercoolers. Most LS motors with tvs systems will only make 7-9 psi so were not talking a lot of heat from the boost. The mustang guys are making 18-24psi using the KC and it is dropping the IAT2's down 30+ degrees. Thats alot!

The heat from the road may not equal 120 but it will be in between 90 and 120, probably around 100. I have never measured it obviously but you can feel the heat coming up from any hot asphaut or concrete. The point is that I am trying to keep my water temp between 50-70 degrees and 100+ blowing across the H/E will only warm it up. The guys on the corvette forum right now running the e-force are seeing 120-140 water temps so if you blow 100 degree across the H/E, even though its hot, its still cooler than 140. Problem is once you reach 130 the car starts to pull timing.

My plan is to move the battery to the trunk and in its place install a 3 gallon insulated tank and insulate all the hoses to and from. Once the a/c is runing for 5 minutes or so it will get the temps down to 50 degrees or so depending on how hot it is. With nearly 4 gallons of chilled water in the entire system it would take a lot to warm it up. You may get on it for 10-15 sec. and when you let off the compressor kicks back on and chills the water again.

The question about the hp loss is only about 6-7 which is minimal, and the compressor will kick off at WOT anyway. Also there is a freon called industrial 12a that is supposed to cool better than 134r and r12, and it is compatable with 134r systems. This will be my winter project so I will post pictures and results when I am finished. Thanks!
Please keep us posted!

I'm still a little concerned with sweat from the system. As I had been reading, and even the post regarding my questions regarding confirming condensation, I'm remembering the accumulator and even lines sweat a lot on hot days around here. I don't necessarily think that adding this product will add to that at all, but at the track, sitting in the staging lanes, if the A/C's running, the high-pressure line (I hope that's right...) is the one pumping the refrigerant into the evaporator and accumulator could develop condensation, no? If I'm off, please feel free to comment. I'm just kinda' thinking out loud and my A/C system knowledge is probably about the least. Thanks for all the answers and help

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 08-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #44
vertc6

Drives: vette
As far as the chiller itself its will sit in the front facia area, or where I want to put it is in the front bumper. The mustang guys actually cut out a section of foam in the front bumper and mount it inside the little pocket they made. As far as the evaporator is concerned I believe most of the condensation hits the headers on a vette (not sure about the camaro). At the strip I would imagine once you do a burn out you would not have much time to put down any water on the track. Maybe track down exactly where the water comes out and force it under the middle of the car?
Old 08-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #45
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
As far as the chiller itself its will sit in the front facia area, or where I want to put it is in the front bumper. The mustang guys actually cut out a section of foam in the front bumper and mount it inside the little pocket they made. As far as the evaporator is concerned I believe most of the condensation hits the headers on a vette (not sure about the camaro). At the strip I would imagine once you do a burn out you would not have much time to put down any water on the track. Maybe track down exactly where the water comes out and force it under the middle of the car?
Hmm... Yeah - I can't visualize where all that stuff is on Camaro. Definately something to consider. I know I never used the A/C at the track, even on the hotest days, while I was in the staging lanes and burnout box. It could be I'm worrying about nothing

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 08-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #46
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Are you saying you add a valve to the water line to bypass the H/E?
The valve on the left is it:

Quote:
You should not run the cabin AC in the staging lanes as it will spill some condensation out when you launch....and any fluid on the track is extremely dangerous. The chiller only sweats a small amount.....barely a few drops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Hmm... Yeah - I can't visualize where all that stuff is on Camaro. Definately something to consider. I know I never used the A/C at the track, even on the hotest days, while I was in the staging lanes and burnout box. It could be I'm worrying about nothing
If in doubt, some cloth could be wrapped around the insulated chiller itself to catch any drips, but it really is not an issue. Now the cabin AC will dump a ton because it is the moisture removed from the cabin air. The chiller removes no moisture from anywhere, and the tubes running to it are wrapped where condesation would occur.

I expect to have more progress this weekend and will post more pics.

Last edited by SC2150; 09-05-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #47
vertc6

That is really cool, so you will be able to bypass the heat exchanger with that valve and on the other end you can bypass the freon from going into the cabin's evaporator, is that correct?
Old 08-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #48
radz28
Petro-sexual

vertc6 - I am very sorry, however, but posting a competing product in a Sponsor's thread is not a good idea. As much as I believe those video are cool, I respectfully ask you to either allow other members to contact you for information or, perhaps, open a thread with the infomation. Again, were it not for this being a Sponsor's thread, I wouldn't even care. Thank you again for all your valuable information and I hope this doesn't keep you from adding your knowledge to the discussion.

With all due respect,
Chuck

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 08-12-2010, 03:12 PM   #49
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
The valve on the left is it:

You should not run the cabin AC in the staging lanes as it will spill some condensation out when you launch....and any fluid on the track is extremely dangerous. The chiller only sweats a small amount.....barely a few drops.

If in doubt, some cloth could be wrapped around the insulated chiller itself to catch any drips, but it really is not an issue. Now the cabin AC will dump a ton because it is the moisture removed from the cabin air. The chiller removes no moisture from anywhere, and the tubes running to it are wrapped where condesation would occur.

I expect to have more progress this weekend and will post more pics.
SWEET! Thank you very much for answering my questions. PLEASE - keep us posted

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 08-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #50
vertc6

No problem
Old 08-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #51
SC2150
Account Suspended

Quote:
That is really cool, so you will be able to bypass the heat exchanger with that valve and on the other end you can bypass the freon from going into the cabin's evaporator, is that correct?
You are correct. You can use it as cabin only, chiller only, and both or none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
vertc6 - I am very sorry, however, but posting a competing product in a Sponsor's thread is not a good idea. As much as I believe those video are cool, I respectfully ask you to either allow other members to contact you for information or, perhaps, open a thread with the infomation. Again, were it not for this being a Sponsor's thread, I wouldn't even care. Thank you again for all your valuable information and I hope this doesn't keep you from adding your knowledge to the discussion.

With all due respect,
Chuck
Thanks for looking out for us Chuck, and he has been respectfull & you will see as you get to know me I even help competitors that treat me fair as it all comes out better for all. Some though only take the "Mine Mine Mine" or nothing attitude, and thats just a fact of business.

Quote:
No problem
No offense taken vert!
Old 08-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #52
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
No problem
Thank you, sincerely, for understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
You are correct. You can use it as cabin only, chiller only, and both or none.

Thanks for looking out for us Chuck, and he has been respectfull & you will see as you get to know me I even help competitors that treat me fair as it all comes out better for all. Some though only take the "Mine Mine Mine" or nothing attitude, and thats just a fact of business.

No offense taken vert!
Keep up the good work

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 08-12-2010, 10:06 PM   #53
vertc6

I look forward to your progress and the pictures, if you could I would love to see a diagram of how you will run the water lines and freon lines. I guess if you have the bypass valve after the chiller and before the H/E? and then T it back in after the H/E. I wonder if that would cause any backflow issues with the water trying to go back into the H/E. Just thinking out loud. I really like the idea of being able to cut off freon to the evaporator and just go to the chiller. Do you think by the winter you will have a setup for the vette? Thanks again!
Old 08-13-2010, 08:17 AM   #54
SC2150
Account Suspended

Quote:
I look forward to your progress and the pictures, if you could I would love to see a diagram of how you will run the water lines and freon lines. I guess if you have the bypass valve after the chiller and before the H/E? and then T it back in after the H/E. I wonder if that would cause any backflow issues with the water trying to go back into the H/E. Just thinking out loud. I really like the idea of being able to cut off freon to the evaporator and just go to the chiller. Do you think by the winter you will have a setup for the vette? Thanks again!

The camaro will be done in app 1 week, and the vette is next. I'll post pics of all in detail.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #55
SC2150
Account Suspended

Got a ton done today, but have a funeral service tomorrow or it would be complete. Took a bunch more pics but forgot to bring the camera home!
Old 08-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #56
SC2150
Account Suspended

Here is the chiller wrapped in the insulation & the waterproof covering:

The union where the return ties in and the billet distribution block that bolts in place:

(Note the additional acumulator that comes with the kit)

Last edited by SC2150; 09-05-2010 at 04:43 PM.

Closed Thread