Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-31-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
CheckMatey

Drives: Camaro 1LT
How long do camaros go without problems?

i currently drive a 2012 civic which i know will not give me any problems for well over 75k miles, but i want a camaro, lookin at a 2011 v6.

so can people give me their car year and mileage and what kind of mechanical problems theyve had?

NO OFFENSE but i know american cars are not very reliable, but i just love camaros. everytime i see 1 on the streets i get a little excited.

thanks
CheckMatey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:20 AM   #2
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMatey View Post
i currently drive a 2012 civic which i know will not give me any problems for well over 75k miles, but i want a camaro, lookin at a 2011 v6.

so can people give me their car year and mileage and what kind of mechanical problems theyve had?

NO OFFENSE but i know american cars are not very reliable, but i just love camaros. everytime i see 1 on the streets i get a little excited.

thanks
I had a good amount of problems with my Honda, every company has problems.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
CheckMatey

i need statistics tho, year/mileage/problems with camaros.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:26 AM   #4
AlohaBR

Drives: Camaros...is there anything else?
2011 LS V6, manual, 128k+ miles
Oil changes and 1 set of tires, that has been it.
AlohaBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
jmelchio
SSmokinJoe

Drives: 2010 SIM 1SS/RS M6
2010 Camaro 1SS, 75,000 miles. No problems, other than routine maintenance (rotors, brakes, changing rear-diff fluid, etc.).

Small crack in the dashboard where passenger side airbag comes out, but very small.

I'm very happy with my Camaro.
SLP Loudmouth II Axleback
Hurst Shifter
R1Concepts Slotted Rotors
Hawk Ceramic Brakepads

I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
jmelchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:29 AM   #6
40years

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS Hyper Blue Met.
2010 1SS 46,500+ miles and zero mechanical problems. Dealer replaced dash (cracked) and steering wheel (leather pulled loose). Both under warranty.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:31 AM   #7
CheckMatey

how are camaro reliability reports/reviews are they good? also is a v6 less or more reliable than a v8?
Old 01-31-2014, 08:46 AM   #8
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
i currently drive a 2012 civic which i know will not give me any problems for well over 75k miles...

NO OFFENSE but i know american cars are not very reliable...

No offense, but American cars today are no less reliable than your Japanese car.

No matter who manufacturers the car, some of them have problems.
Others will give you over 150,000 trouble free miles.

Take a good look at cars today, and you will see that they are all built very similar.
Auto engineers today might work for several manufactures over the course of their career, so when one manufacturer comes up with some new innovation or building technique all others are right behind them the following year.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:52 AM   #9
6polarbear9

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
40k no problems
6polarbear9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:52 AM   #10
CheckMatey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
No offense, but American cars today are no less reliable than your Japanese car.

No matter who manufacturers the car, some of them have problems.
Others will give you over 150,000 trouble free miles.

Take a good look at cars today, and you will see that they are all built very similar.
Auto engineers today might work for several manufactures over the course of their career, so when one manufacturer comes up with some new innovation or building technique all others are right behind them the following year.
perhaps your right. the one im lookin at buying is the same color scheme as your avatar.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:55 AM   #11
SS_BONE_'MARO

Drives: 2012 45th AE 2SS/RS L99
31K no mechanical problems runs great.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:00 AM   #12
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
i need statistics tho, year/mileage/problems with camaros.
You must not have read my reply... I was saying that I had a HONDA that had problems, alluding to the fact that all car companies have cars that have problems. Now does that mean every Honda car is going to have issues? Of course not, same thing goes for Chevy. They wouldn't be in business if there were.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:02 AM   #13
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
"knowing" that (A)merican cars are not reliable tends to lend itself immediately to debate on a branded American car forum.

That being said, the first few points of interest is the place of assembly, the workmanship/pride in the build, and the parts initially purchased by the manufacturer to do the job specified by the engineer (purchased on the cheap to barely meet specs or purchased to exceed specs).

Let's not forget how many Toyota, Honda, Kia, Hyundai, BMW, and Mercedes plants exist in the US (primarily the South). Are these (A)merican cars? If the guy/gal on the BMW line overtightens a screw due to incorrect German torque specs on the auto-gun used for dash install and it cracks during cold weather contraction...is that the fault of the (A)merican or the German?

Technically the Camaro is Canadian until the 6th gen. using multiple parts sourced from around the globe.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:17 AM   #14
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:

thanks
I returned to GM in 2008 after 30 (cumulative) years of driving Hondas. I really loved Honda and they've proven themselves extremely reliable. When it came time to think about buying a new car, however, I never went to an import dealer. I went straight to, of all places, SATURN.

I wanted a GM vehicle again - I wanted the smoother ride that typified the big American cars of the 1960's and 70's which Honda and Toyota didn't offer. I also didn't want spend the type of money Honda and Toyota were charging for LESS car / options. In my posts on the Saturn forum, I asked about reliability as our Honda's were always dealer maintained and just about "bullet proof", mechanically. The Saturn AURA offered everything I was hoping for for $6k less than a similarly equipped Honda Accord.

I took a chance on a Saturn AURA and it has served me very, very well over the past 5+ years. So well, in fact, that I purchased a Saturn Sky Redline in addition to the AURA and then traded the SKY in for my Camaro Convertible when it came out (because of the lack of space and spare tire option in the SKY).

So, basically, I've purchased 3 new GM vehicles between 2008 and mid 2011 and haven't had any significant issues with any of them. The 2 or 3 issues I've had with any of these vehicles were very minor and repaired under warranty. The only issue I've had with my Camaro is a loose fitting brake reservoir cap. No mechanical or any other issues. Whenever I start looking for a new car again, GM will probably be the only manufacturer I'll look at. That's how much confidence I have in GM's vehicles.

Now, mind you, there are buyers of any make of vehicle who've encountered significant problems. Regardless of whether Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mercedes, BMW, GM, Ford or Chrysler, there are some bad apples out there - doesn't matter if they're sitting on the lot or nicely presented on the showroom floor. That happens, and to read owner's problems with these vehicles is scarey. I think that's the exception, not the rule. I truly believe it comes down to how well the vehicle is maintained and cared for, overall.

The Camaro is a LOT of car for the money. Compare its price with the same engine (V6 or 8) to a similarily equipped BMW or any other vehicle in its price and performance range. I'm not saying other brands are better or worse, but you pay SIGNIFICANTLY more for them.

The paint has been a complaint by some forum members here, at least on 2010 / 2011 / 2012 MY's as well as well as major issues with convertible tops on these model years. The 2014's should have these and any other possible issues worked out.

I own a 2011 V6, Manual Trans. Camaro Convertible for 2 1/2 years now with 4,4k miles on her and no problems.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Last edited by Baba; 01-31-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote