Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
derieu
Engineer

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Possible Clearcoat Delamination, Dealership trouble

I daily drive my Camaro year round and have never had a paint issue. This was the first winter I had encounter, and when the snow melted away noticed this large spot that you can lift clearcoat off with your fingernail when it was wet with the salt/snow mixture.

I brought the car to a dealership and they are telling me that I was either hit or rock damage caused this. I have a very hard time believing this since a majority of the bumper has standard rock chips and this is nothing close to any of those..

What are my options?

Last edited by derieu; 02-21-2017 at 01:41 PM.
derieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #2
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I've been through a similar situation in the past with a paint defect. From my experience, dealerships today are very "stand-offish" when it comes to paint defects. Many times the dealership will try to get away with saying that a rock or negligence caused the problem.

What I did in my situation was to contact GM Chevrolet Customer Service, and open a case. Luckily for me, Chevy CS sent me to another dealer for a second opinion. The second dealer clearly saw that my condition was a cause from manufacturing. Short of it was that I had my issue repaired under warranty.

I'm not saying that this is a guarantee fix for you, but in situations where there is a disagreement with the dealership, one should go the route with Customer Service to document the problem and to hopefully reach a solution. Good luck.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote