Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
3 Pontiac and some Buick Intros at New York

Courtesy of Edmunds' Straightline Blog:

Quote:
Just a quick tease here as to some of what GM is planning on showing at NewYork next week:

• Pontiac will debut 3 new production models

• Saab's 9-x BioHybrid will make its North American debut.

• Buick reportedly to have some surprises—one of which is that their news will also be available in Chinese on the GM media site. Now that may not mean much to those not in the auto news business, but it just goes to show just how important Buick has become to China, and vice-versa. But you already knew that, right?
My guesses for the Pontiacs: safe money says one will be the G8 GXP, another the Solstice Coupe/Targa. I'd bet my life savings on those two. The third I'm less sure about. Of course I'm hoping for a RWD G6 replacement, but given the current trends, a Pontiac badged Lambda crossover is probably what we'll see.

edit: Actually the thread title should be "Some Buick Intros" Woops.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Courtesy of Edmunds' Straightline Blog:

My guesses for the Pontiacs: safe money says one will be the G8 GXP, another the Solstice Coupe/Targa. I'd bet my life savings on those two. The third I'm less sure about. Of course I'm hoping for a RWD G6 replacement, but given the current trends, a Pontiac badged Lambda crossover is probably what we'll see.

edit: Actually the thread title should be "Some Buick Intros" Woops.
fixed!

The jury's out on that third Pontiac...I've been to a couple of diff. forums discussing that very thing, and the consensus seems to be G8 GXP, and Solstice Targa, like you said, but nobody can seem to agree on that third one.

(personally, I think it's gonna be some sort of sport-hybrid, or a Pontiac Coupe 60....Or the Ute <=more likely)
Old 03-12-2008, 11:21 PM   #3
stovt001

Ooh yes I forgot about the possibility of a G8 ST or coupe. Given the good article just recently posted about GM just starting to look into the business case of the coupe, I don't think that's the most likely case, but the G8 ST is as good as guess as any other. I'll be slightly disappointed if that's the case, because we've known about that already. I'd love to see something completely new and unexpected, but that's just an off chance.

Thanks for fixing the thread title.

Oh and Buick surprises - any guesses there? I'm at a loss, but I'm excited. Maybe the next LaCrosse?
Old 03-13-2008, 12:19 AM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Pontiac #3 could be Coupe 60 as a GTO or Firebird. But the sport truck is more likely.

Buick needs to expand or die, hopefully expand because the brand can add alot of media coverage to GM. It's been forgotten about, but with the enclave and them tying lexus for dependability, they need to keep the new buick going. 3 models just isn't going to do it for north america. a rwd buick would be nice to see but it might compete with the CTS, though GM doesn't always care about doing that
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:07 AM   #5
stovt001

Well as Scott alluded to in a previous thread, GM is in a bit of a dilemma with Buick, Pontiac, and GMC. Ideally, they'd love to combine all three into a single dealership entity so each brand could get something like 3 to 5 models. Each brand would be somewhat niche (Pontiac for the driving enthusiast, Buick for the style and comfort conscious, GMC for the premium truck and SUV market) but together all three would do pretty good volume with a full 9-15 models even though each brand only has 3-5.

Unfortunately, as Scott pointed out, not all dealerships are playing along and merging, and there is nothing GM can do about it. So until then, each brand needs a full line up, which leads to either bad overlap or big gaps.

The lineups as they stand currently aren't good enough for each brand to stand alone. GMC has a good lineup, but we all know how the truck market is going. Pontiac has a full lineup, but besides the G8 and Solstice it is aging and really doesn't go anywhere near the enthusiast market it is supposed to target. Buick is in complete shambles besides the Enclave. Luckily everything I've seen about the next Lacrosse looks pretty promising, and if they can follow the trend with the Lucerne, they'll be looking good. But 3 models, even if they are good and fit the target market, can't support a brand. So Buick will have either have to completely merge with Pontiac and GMC (hopefully in time but that certainly won't happen in the immediate future) or it will have to expand its lineup. Then it risks overlapping Pontiac and GMC even more. Does your head hurt yet? This is the precarious situation GM finds itself in and I don't envy them for it. If franchise laws weren't such a problem this would be a no brainer, but because they limit what GM can do they basically have to plan for two different scenarios. Good luck GM. I'd hate to lose any of these brands.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
BumbleBee
Yes, I am a girl

Drives: 2006 Pontiac Vibe
Vibe GXP

...second to none
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
stovt001

OK well we have the G8 ST and G8 GXP confirmed. Targa/Coupe Solstice next?

Still excited to see what Buick has up its sleeve.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:34 AM   #8
stovt001

OK as of tonight, we have the Solstice Targa confirmed. There's all 3. Now on to Buick...
Old 03-19-2008, 01:47 PM   #9
MattG
Z/28 or Bust!

Drives: First Camaro: '69 Z28
Here's a link to shots of the Solstice Targa, if anyone hasn't seen pics. I still don't like the front grill or the reverse lights, but it's not horrible.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/c...solstice-coupe
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Found at GM fastlane blog:

Quote:
Pontiac Roars Forward
Jim Bunnell
Buick-Pontiac-GMC General Manager
If there’s anything better than introducing a new product, it’s introducing three new products. And if there’s anything better than introducing three new products, it’s introducing three new products that show Pontiac’s getting its mojo back.

At the New York Auto Show today, Pontiac took the wraps off some new members of the Solstice and G8 families.

2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe

First up was the Solstice Coupe, which takes its classic design of the roadster to another level. The original convertible is still the top selling car in its segment and we think that the added all-season capabilities of the coupe, in either the base or turbo-charged GXP model, will just extend its appeal. Plus, a removable top panel can still provide an open-air driving experience.

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP

The G8 GXP is, quite simply, the Pontiac performance flagship. We intend to build on the incredible reception the G8 sedan and G8 GT have already received by upping the excitement quotient with a 400+ hp LS3 V8 engine and an optional six-speed Tremec manual transmission. The G8 is truly a product of GM’s global muscle ---a European-inspired performance sedan with American attitude built in Australia.

2010 Pontiac G8 Sport Truck

Speaking of muscle, we know that performance can be measured in different ways, so we’re also introducing the G8 sport truck, a segment-bending vehicle with sports car DNA and truck-like cargo capabilities. Need to haul six-foot long items or tow a 3,500-pound trailer? The G8 sport truck can handle it. It also can haul in a different way … from 0-60 in 5.4 seconds.

The one thing we want to change about the sport truck is its name. “Sport truck” works fine as a description, but it just doesn’t convey the emotion that this new G8 will create. So, we’re inviting the public to submit their suggestions at www.pontiac.com/namethiscar and the winning name will be announced April 15.

All three Pontiacs introduced here in New York will be on the streets within 18 months.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:14 AM   #11
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Not too fond of the sport truck (I'm sure plenty others will probably like it), but the G8 GXP and the Solstice are going to be huge sellers (and I'll take two please.....um....that's two of each!!!). Now...if I could only fit in that coupe. :(
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:15 AM   #12
stovt001

Rumors are that the Solstice Coupe will be limited to 10,000 units, so GM must not think it will sell real big. I hope availability is good, because that's one of my backup cars now if I'm priced out of the Camaro.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:47 AM   #13
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I'll look towards the G8 GXP...can't fit in the Solstice, Redline, Sky...all those. Even the Infiniti is too narrow for me. Ugh...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #14
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I tried looking for a video of the whole shibang. I couldnt find one. I was curious to see how they did it with 50 Cent in the mix.
Anyone find a video?

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote