Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 09-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #71
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
A track novice shouldn't put himself in that position in the first place. Being able to override the tendency to want to slow down and use either maintenance throttle or leading throttle are not exactly novice-level techniques.

I'd define "too hot" as being beyond what the driver is comfortable with, usually based on speed, though the root cause could really be poor choice of line. You can find yourself "too hot" rather suddenly if your concentration lapses for any reason. Never mind how I might know this or how recently the latest reminder was.

I believe there's a basic difference between the average driver (or drag racer) and a "corner-carver". The average driver (novice track day participant) mostly just vaguely follows the pavement in daily driving and reacts when he's about to run out of pavement. The "corner-carver" has a plan to be on the line ahead of time and some sense of either being on it or definitely off of it even under moderate driving conditions.

Norm
Ah so the advice is be careful until you have some idea of what you are doing. And once you do go in too hot, don't panic and over react.

I disagree about the difference between corner carvers and novices. Once the beginner (like me) understands there is an approach to a corner, its fun to put that into practice when you can. I just wish tracking was less expensive. I enjoy drag racing too. For $15 I can have a night of fun and meet some cool people.

I think the 1LE, as with the ZL1, will be a good choice for either track.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #72
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
It's all about cutting the perfect apex. Which as you say takes the right approach and yes that takes practice, a lot of practice. At a certain point the car feels like an extension of oneself. Work on consistency and add speed.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #73
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Once the beginner (like me) understands there is an approach to a corner,
There's still a difference between knowing mentally what you generally need to do, and having a distinct sense that you were either getting the corner(s) somewhere near right . . . or that you were in the process of botching it (them?). For most people, I doubt that this "sense" develops as an overnight revelation.

I wasn't picking on drag racing per se, just noting that where corner-carving is concerned the average drag racer has more in common with the average street driver.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #74
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Yes, in road course tracking you've got to set yourself correctly not just for the corner your entering, but the following one as well.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #75
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
There's still a difference between knowing mentally what you generally need to do, and having a distinct sense that you were either getting the corner(s) somewhere near right . . . or that you were in the process of botching it (them?). For most people, I doubt that this "sense" develops as an overnight revelation.

I wasn't picking on drag racing per se, just noting that where corner-carving is concerned the average drag racer has more in common with the average street driver.

Norm
I agree with you. Real corner-carving is more complex than amateur drag racing and to be good at it requires more instruction, experience, thought, and practice. But corner-carvers have to start somewhere.

Which brings me back to the topic of this thread. The 1LE looks like it will be a great entry vehicle to get an owner interested in motor sports off his or her butt and actually get out there and be a participant rather than a spectator. New corner-carvers will be born because of cars like the 1LE and the Boss 302.

The ZL1, while at least equally competent, will not be as likely to encourage tracking due to its increased cost. Owners will not be as likely to risk damage to their more valuable car. A car they may have had to stretch their finances to buy.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #76
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

I'll agree with that.