Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
QuiksilverHg

Drives: 2SS, RS Package, Imperial Blue
Replacement top woes

Taking my car to the dealer Wednesday and want to make sure I can speak intelligently before I get there, so a few questions.

Can someone explain the water-bag thing to me a little more. My car used to be water tight, but now after the replacement top the floor behind the drivers seat is getting soaked every time it rains. From inside the car I couldn't see where it was coming from so I assume it's a leak from the water bag...does this sound likely?

With the top up there should not be any tensioning wires that you can see from the outside right?

How difficult is it to fix parts where the top isn't stretched tight...there is a small wrinkle over the driver's seat right now.

Thanks for the info
QuiksilverHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Tom_T

Drives: 2013 Convertible /2SS/RS/LS3
QuiksilverHg
Sorry to hear your problems. I had my top replaced on the 8th and 9th of April. I have washed it 3 times and each time I have checked my rear seat floor for wetness. So far it is dry.....................you are right in believing that it is the water management system that is the problem.
As far as tensioning wires being seen from the outside with the top up, I would say absolutely not.
As far as the difficulty in fixing things I am of no help, sorry. I was scheduled to go in this morning for an adjustment to the passenger side but cancelled because of rain. Am going to try later in the week. My top is not coming down evenly when closing, hopefully just an adjustment as everything else is good.
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
spikess581

Drives: IOM2SSconvertible,64 malibu,04fxdwg
If you are seeing the wires it means the person replacing it ignored the instructions available from GM and they are routed wrong. Easy fix but you will need new weatherstripping. As for the water bag get in the back seat with the top up and reach behind the headliner down into the well behind the side glass. Reach inside the bag and follow it forward and you will feel the opening to the drain tube. Insert finger and push forward and you should feel it pop back into the hole in the frame work. You can view this tube with the top at about halfway down also.
spikess581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
If you are having water management problem after the top replacement or refit, your best bet is to bring it back to the dealership. Yes you may be able to re hook the drain but it will continue to come apart. There is a new water management bag the are installing now that is a little larger in design to prevent the issue you are having. Been there, Done that !
Old 05-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
If you are having water management problem after the top replacement or refit, your best bet is to bring it back to the dealership. Yes you may be able to re hook the drain but it will continue to come apart. There is a new water management bag the are installing now that is a little larger in design to prevent the issue you are having. Been there, Done that !
Not only this but you should also get new carpet and probably rear seat cushions also. It's not "just a little bit of water" that has pooled in your floorboard.

I know... been there.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
meSSohappy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Sorry to ask stupid question but I am new vert owner and new to site and trying to navigate my way around. Are there problems with the top? Was there a recall? I bought my car at a KIA dealer with 6800kms on it. They said there were no recalss or issues and my GM dealer isnt open til tomorrow. I will talk to them about recalls and such then.

Thanks
meSSohappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Meso, just search the posts here on C5 in the Vert forum and stop by over here.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/226942550693692/

There have been plenty of documented problems with the tops on both years. Some people have been fine, others have had nightmares. I am one that had a nightmare. If you don't know, please ask. We are all in the same boat err vert and love our cars to death. Just not some of the problems we have incurred.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
Fnfalguy
Supreme Advisor

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
I currently have a "water tight" convertible top but it is getting replaced at the end of this week because of the rub marks and wrinkles. I'm going to be sure to press the dealership to do an extensive leak test before I get it back. I pray that they don't screw up my car!
Fnfalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
QuiksilverHg

Fnfal just be aware a 'leak check' at the dealer may not catch it all. My dealer said he did a leak check and it was fine, but the first time it rained the back floor was soaked. I imagine there must need to be a significant volume of rain before the waterbags get full and then leak onto the carpets.

Had to reschedule for Friday due to a Navy thing. Hopefully it gets fixed cause I am going on a big cross country to move to Texas in just over a week.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
meSSohappy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Talked to my dealer today and found out that there is an existing recall on the 20011 vert for the roof latch. It is going in on Saturday. Anyone aware of this recall and what it is all about.

Does anyone have a pic of a bad roof....one that is getting replaced. Not really sure what a bad and good roof look like. I can see the ribs in mine but no leaks, tears or wires.
meSSohappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #11
QuiksilverHg

Ribs are fine, wear marks (looks like 1-3 pressed in circles like the size of a thumbtack) over passenger and/or drivers door are very bad. Wrinkles are bad, it should be stretched tight. Don't know what the deal is with the roof latch, mine is fine other than occasionally being latched and still saying unsecure. Have to cycle it again to fix it.

The worst is when you unlatch it to put it down, realize you didn't have the trunk net pulled out, then it fights you in trying to get it latched again. Won't move up or down, can't open the trunk, have to jiggle the handle and the top til it finally realizes it's latched. Not a huge deal, but usually takes me 3-4 minutes of fiddling with it to get it to realize it's latched to let me go open the trunk and pull the net out.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiksilverHg View Post
Fnfal just be aware a 'leak check' at the dealer may not catch it all. My dealer said he did a leak check and it was fine, but the first time it rained the back floor was soaked. I imagine there must need to be a significant volume of rain before the waterbags get full and then leak onto the carpets.

Had to reschedule for Friday due to a Navy thing. Hopefully it gets fixed cause I am going on a big cross country to move to Texas in just over a week.

I certainly understand that your car being flooded was an inconvenience. Please let us know if your dealership was able to correct the issue you are experiencing.

All the best,

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesohappy View Post
Talked to my dealer today and found out that there is an existing recall on the 20011 vert for the roof latch. It is going in on Saturday. Anyone aware of this recall and what it is all about.

Does anyone have a pic of a bad roof....one that is getting replaced. Not really sure what a bad and good roof look like. I can see the ribs in mine but no leaks, tears or wires.
Hello there! It isn't exactly a recall. What it is, is a customer satisfaction program. Certain 2011-2012 model year Chevrolet Camaro vehicles, equipped with a convertible top, may have a condition in which the headliner corner support bracket may contact or tear the convertible top when the top is in down position, and may have wind noise at the front and/orrear quarter glass.

This doesn't apply to all vehicles. Every recall, customer satisfaction program, warranty, etc. are VIN specific and require dealership verification. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me via PM.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #14
rudygotopless
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible SS
If anyone in Central Florida is having trouble with their top (ie leaking, wearing, spots, etc.) take it to the dealer I bought mine from: Gordon Chevrolet in Tampa. I have had no problems and they seem to know what do do when I did my recall.
rudygotopless is offline   Reply With Quote