Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
bdsdnfam
NoJoken

Drives: Synergy Green SS
Oil Leak

So Forum members and experts. I had to take my Camaro into the dealership this morning after discovering an oil puddle (I estimate a quarter to half a cup) on the garage floor when I pulled out.

They got me right in (GREAT dealer by the way) and within an hour had her back to me. The write up said that the cause was that the underbody was not degreased well enough after the last oil change. They also replaced the oil filter as a precautionary measure.

My concern is that the oil change was done last fall before I put it away for the winter. From last November through March...no oil noticed. And from March until now, 2000 miles later, it appears.

I know what you will say...keep and eye on it, but anyone else experience something like this? I'm looking for trends I guess. Oh yea, 13K on the car is all.
bdsdnfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
40years

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS Hyper Blue Met.
Not to unusual. Had the oil changed in mine early in 2010 and a leak showed up about 1200-1500 miles later. Turned out the filter was not tightened enough.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
bdsdnfam
NoJoken

I'm hoping that's the case! Thanks for the response 40years!
Old 07-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
Red Jewel RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Well, draining oil in a SS there is no place for the oil to collect and fall to the ground at a later time. Oil filter is open no frame in the way. And of course the drain plug is open as well.
Could have the filter not tight enough I guess. But the underside not clean is probably not the problem. Could be that whomever changed the oil spilled while pouring the new oil in up top.
Some here had oil leak from oil cooler and/or pan gasket. I would crawl under and see for myself. Wipe everything dry and drive the car and recheck after a couple of days.
Good luck.
Red Jewel RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Not degreased well enough? WTF? After you told them the oil change was that long ago. That much oil isn't going to just finally fall out of the freaking frame.

I'd suppose the oil filter could have vibrated loose.

Who changed the oil the previous time?
Old 07-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
Mouse6.2

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 NPP
Sounds like the oil filter was not tightened enough.
Mouse6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
bdsdnfam,

We hope that the cleaning and replacement of the oil filter do end up resolving your oil leak. If not, and if you decide to head back to the dealership, let us know as we're available to provide any additional support we can.

Sarah (Assisting William)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
bdsdnfam
NoJoken

Dealer does my oil changes. But I've only had two done. It only gets driven about 5K a year so I get the oil changed before I put it to bed for the winter.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #9
bdsdnfam
NoJoken

Thanks all! No oil on the floor today but I'll keep watching!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:20 AM   #10
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
That's too much oil on the floor from a dirty underside.
1) take the car to a self serve spray wash and clean the engine top to bottom. Wear old cloths and get under there and spray it down after you soap it up from all three sides.
2) drive it, idle it and drive it.
3) park it overnite
4) then crawl under there and take a peak at our oil cooler (driver side rear of engine next to the filter) It has a gasket on it where it mounts to the block that's been known to leak, It's a half our job for a GM good mechanic
5) check your oil pan gasket, also some issues with leaks there. That's a big job ! Subframe has to come off the car to get the oil pan off.
Had them both done on my baby by a great GM mechanic. both under warranty .
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #11
bdsdnfam
NoJoken

Oil Leak Update

So far, so good. I backed out of the garage last night and checked the floor. Bone dry. I have a hunch it was a loose filter but I'll keep watching.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog View Post
That's too much oil on the floor from a dirty underside.
1) take the car to a self serve spray wash and clean the engine top to bottom. Wear old cloths and get under there and spray it down after you soap it up from all three sides.
2) drive it, idle it and drive it.
3) park it overnite
4) then crawl under there and take a peak at our oil cooler (driver side rear of engine next to the filter) It has a gasket on it where it mounts to the block that's been known to leak, It's a half our job for a GM good mechanic
5) check your oil pan gasket, also some issues with leaks there. That's a big job ! Subframe has to come off the car to get the oil pan off.
Had them both done on my baby by a great GM mechanic. both under warranty .
I just took my 2010 to the dealer for an oil leak. It was coming from all of the places you mentioned... oil pan gasket, oil cooler gasket, and even from the drain plug. I didn't know these were known problems, but luckily I still have 11 months left on my warranty.

Any thoughts as to why I would get this problem on a 4yr old car that has less than 10k miles?
Old 12-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #13
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenOwner View Post
I just took my 2010 to the dealer for an oil leak. It was coming from all of the places you mentioned... oil pan gasket, oil cooler gasket, and even from the drain plug. I didn't know these were known problems, but luckily I still have 11 months left on my warranty.

Any thoughts as to why I would get this problem on a 4yr old car that has less than 10k miles?
Rear seal was an issue on earlier builds. Maybe it just got bad enough to flow more.

Thank goodness for warranty. I lost mine quite early.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:12 PM   #14
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Are the oil gaskets still an issue? My '13 has been sitting in the garage since mid-November. I was looking underneath just to see if I needed more mothballs and noticed a few drops of oil on the tarp roughly in-line with the cats along the car and centered across. I have the Good Year tires that like to crack when they're cold so I can't get underneath the car just yet. I did put some cardboard in the same spot and it's clean so far. We've had some strange temperature swings this winter, the car has literally been dripping with condensation a couple of times, so I hoping its nothing but am concerned. The car only has about 3200 miles and I hate the though of bringing it to the dealer to get torn apart again :(