Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 03-09-2017, 01:11 AM   #15
GetYouOne

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Thanks Don much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Myself, I used factory AC/Delco since I get a good deal on it and change it often. Works fine for what I do.

From my build thread:

-Don
GetYouOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #16
thegreatwhite

Drives: 2014 SS
has anyone else with a manual SS had the dealer give them a list of recommended services at 45,000 miles. mine did saying i needed some fluids changed etc. it does say this in the manual as well....im wondering how long i can drive the car past 45,000 miles until these services are really needed and not just recommended. any info helps.
thegreatwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #17
Camaro Dude
and Sledge

Drives: '13 1LE, 2SS, NPP
I can't believe that some of you, are actually following the "suits" service interval recommendations, which is really meant to sweeten the deal for first owner buyers who lease 3 years or so.

I drained mine out, like 2 months after I bought it new, straight from the showroom. There wasn't even a couple thousand on the odometer when I drained it.

I was surprised, almost shocked , to see how dirty it was!!! Very black, and a slight, BUT, nasty odour to the oil. The car had never even seen a track yet..

I've drained/refilled twice since then with Redline 75W/90, car only had like 14000km on it, so in its 3rd fill basically.

It looked very clean on the 3rd drain/flush. Each round of new oil re-fill, saw an approx. equal amount of mileage between intervals.

*The above I wrote, all purtains to the rear diff only, and not the transmission.

The M6 tranny fluid on the other hand, was very clean looking, even after the first drain.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:10 PM   #18
thegreatwhite

Drives: 2014 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
I can't believe that some of you, are actually following the "suits" service interval recommendations, which is really meant to sweeten the deal for first owner buyers who lease 3 years or so.

I drained mine out, like 2 months after I bought it new, straight from the showroom. There wasn't even a couple thousand on the odometer when I drained it.

I was surprised, almost shocked , to see how dirty it was!!! Very black, and a slight, BUT, nasty odour to the oil. The car had never even seen a track yet..

I've drained/refilled twice since then with Redline 75W/90, car only had like 14000km on it, so in its 3rd fill basically.

It looked very clean on the 3rd drain/flush. Each round of new oil re-fill, saw an approx. equal amount of mileage between intervals.

*The above I wrote, all purtains to the rear diff only, and not the transmission.

The M6 tranny fluid on the other hand, was very clean looking, even after the first drain.
ok
thegreatwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:50 PM   #19
Pete G

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE
I checked my manual and for automatic transmission it specified Dexron V1 trans fluid
but for V8 manual it simply says to use " manual transmission fluid "
What suggestions do you guys have for maunual transmission fluid?
Pete G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #20
rickjhouston

Drives: 2012 II SS
Folks - Anyone change their Fluid and Filter themselves?

I've got 76,000 miles on the recommended 72,000 mile change interval. Have never messed with Automatics before. Mechanic Friends are telling me to go for it. The detailed shop manual makes it look pretty straight forward.

Raise car (always fun on these low sitting beasts) / Drop pan / Replace Filter / Re-install Pan using same gasket / Fill Oil / Run to temp - shift all gears / Recheck Fluid Level (back on Jackstands using drain plug method)

My worries -
A) How tough is it to remove &replace the filter? There's not a lot of room with the SS even at the top Jackstand position. Is the filter connection easy and straight forward?

B) the GM Shop manual goes over the top with warnings on not under / over filling the transmission fluid level. Think I can come up with a pump for the tranny fluid. Was going to use the 'Fill from the Drain Plug method'? Is it necessary to run the tranny and recheck the fluid level when the temp is back within the temp range? Without a dipstick - It's raise and lower the Camrow one more time....

Looking for encouragement from those who have done this on their own. The price quoted above is pretty motiving but .....

Thanks - RickJHouston
2012 SS 2
Daily Driver
rickjhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:50 PM   #21
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 L99 LSA SC Z/LE
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...48&postcount=8

Should help. The Jannetty dipstick really should be a mandatory upgrade for autos ;o)

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:30 PM   #22
rickjhouston

Thanks, Hammdo (Don). The post on the Tranny Pan change and both Dipstick installations have inspired me to give the Filter and Fluid change a try.

Think I'll start by seeing if I can get the Dipstick plug out. If I can do that - than only worry I can see is removing & installing the filter seal.

For Filling - I've got a pretty good length of 1/2" Clear Hose. Thinking I can run it down from the Firewall into the Dipstick port.

Again - the post with pictures was super helpful. Have to wonder when GM will go this route for Shop manuals.

Much Appreciated and Regards - Your Texas Brother - RickJHouston
Old 06-24-2017, 10:11 PM   #23
rickjhouston

Gotter Done! Fluid and Filter changed. Only hard part was removing the old Filter Seal. Tried the drag & pull and Snap Ring Pliers methods both unsuccessfully. The Seal has a lip / cup that seats on the tranny body when installed. Ended up prying the outside cup toward the center of the opening. Did this evenly around the outside of the seal and it fell right out.

Used my 5th Gen Shop Manuals and I-Pad with Hammdo's posts to guide me through the task. The clear plastic hose and funnel trick works well! I pulled the Dip Stick Hole Plug easily and just put the hose in the hole to fill ATF from the engine compartment.

Was worried about the warnings in the Shop Manuals about Level Vehicle and Ensuring the AFT was within proper temp window. Used the Tranny Temp Gauge to ensure I had about 105 deg F when checking fluid level. Also, used a carpenter's level to ensure the Camrow sat at the same level on the driveway and on the jack stands. Got about 5 1/2 quarts out and put 6.8 quarts in of Dexron VI? When checking fluid level with car raised, running in park and within temp range - had just a few seconds of steady full flow followed by a needle stream. Put plug back in and called it good.

Have only driven a short distance but will be out tomorrow unless we get more Gulf Coast Rain. All looks good so far!

Got to Thank Hammdo for his detailed posts with pictures. The Gen 5 Shop Manuals are helpful but Don's post and pictures were super helpful....

FYI and Hope this inspires anyone else sitting on the fence to go for it....

Regards - RickJHouston
Old 06-25-2017, 11:59 AM   #24
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
I did a B&M cast aluminum pan and Lokar dipstick at the same time. Easy job really, and I just run it through gears while in the air, but I had race ramps in front and double stands in the back with wheels off.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:12 PM   #25
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 L99 LSA SC Z/LE
Glad it helped! Pics make all the difference. I couldn't find any when I started so, figured someone may benefit...

Jannetty dipstick and tube is da bomb ;o)...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote