Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Florida

Old 12-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #1387
z28chuck
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS Camaro
All these engines use Mobile 1 Synthetic...I buy the Royal Purple 5W-30 and take it to the dealer to have them do it for $20. The dealership told me I could run 0W-30 for better fuel mileage if I wanted....
z28chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #1388
Majic
Majic

Drives: 2018 1LT Black...V6
No...the V6 uses 5-30 Dexos rated semi-synthetic...BUT....there are very few Dexos rated oils. Mobil 1 is though. GM oil is Dexos rated and so are a few of the AMSOILS, like AMSOIL OE. The 2011's use different rated oil than the 2010's....DEXOS started with the '11's.

I have used AMSOIL for many years and if you read up on it ou will find it is one of the only TRUE synthetics.....no oil will outperform AMSOIL. But, that being said....if you are having it done I would use either Mobil 1 ot the GM Dexos. Both meet the warranty requirements for 2011 models.

Rick
"MAJIC"
2014 2SS/RS.
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:08 AM   #1389
UFN Wish

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
So I Had oil changed today and they put in 5-30. What is semi synthetic and what is dexos?
UFN Wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #1390
Majic
Majic

If you come on the 14th I'll explain it to you.

Rick
"MAJIC"
2014 2SS/RS.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #1391
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
If you come on the 14th I'll explain it to you.
Plus just as a bonus you get to meet really great people.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:46 PM   #1392
ducatisl
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS 6m
Location: Fort Walton Beach...surrounded by da** pickup trucks I can't see around!
After the Dexcool fiasco, I always take any "GM ratings" with a little bit of salt: from what I've read, Dexos rating is also a "licensing" (oil companies 'pay' GM??!!) and is a slightly better (on the order of 40% vs 15% syn content) rating for a synthetic blend and the Motrocraft syn blend (a very good oil especially for the price) is about the same with just small differences in the additive package. That being said, a pedestrian M1 or even Penzoil Platinum will meet that spec.

If this is for a low stress daily driven street motor, just about anything (short of most Royal Purples) will suffice as most oils out there are pretty decent. From minimum to best for the street, I'd choose: Motorcraft or Dexos rated syn blend, M1, Amsoil OE, Castrol Edge, Penzoil Platinum/Ultra/Amsoil Extended Life, then Amsoil Signature Series at the top. If you're overly worried about warranty issues, then you are stuck with whatever oil is Dexos "licensed" although Amsoil is pretty thorough (more like rolled over) and even has their top rated excellent Sig Series oil dexos "licensed".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
No...the V6 uses 5-30 Dexos rated semi-synthetic...BUT....there are very few Dexos rated oils. Mobil 1 is though. GM oil is Dexos rated and so are a few of the AMSOILS, like AMSOIL OE. The 2011's use different rated oil than the 2010's....DEXOS started with the '11's.

I have used AMSOIL for many years and if you read up on it ou will find it is one of the only TRUE synthetics.....no oil will outperform AMSOIL. But, that being said....if you are having it done I would use either Mobil 1 ot the GM Dexos. Both meet the warranty requirements for 2011 models.
Procharged F1A-94 on a 416 LSA block, Callies/Manley/Scat/Melling/Cloyes/ARP/Ferrea/Landspeed/Hi-Ram/FIC/Tick/Alky/ Strange/QA1/DSS/BMR/RPS/Tilton/GZM/Fore/AEM/ATi/JGS etc., built/tuned by me and Innovative Street Technologies
'Mo's Seemingly Endless Build Thread
ducatisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #1393
Majic
Majic

Absolutely true that any good oil will do the job on a normal daily driver....IF if is changed regularly. BUT...the V6 is a different animal than our LS V8 engines. It has overhead cams and there have been a lot of reported oiling issues. It seems that some have run out of oil with no warning. My wife has a 2012 Equinox and it requires the Dexos standard as well. I went to the store(s) and started digging.....the only oil in any of them that had the Dexos rating was Mobil 1. (AMSOIL is not sold in the stores I was in). As a result I put Mobil 1 in her Equinox. I will order up some AMSOIL and use it next time.

One of the major issues with any engine is cold start up.....an oil that flows readily helps eliminate problems by getting to the bearings and top end fast. That is one reason 5-30 oil is recommended...it flows better when cold that a 10-30. A 0-30 is available and would flow even better but I can't make myself do that!! Over the years I have done a lot of reading on oils.....one of the things that Tom mentioned is Royal Purple....unless something has changed it is NOT a good choice for street use. It does not have the additives that engines need to stay clean on the street. It was/is intended for racing use and to be changed REAL often. They may have anew formula but I don't know.

AMSOIL is a PAO based oil and thus a true synthetic. If camparisons are made their Signature series is pretty much as good as it gets. I use it in my SS.

I could write forever on this but....the bottom line is Use a good oil, check it regularly, and change it regularly.....it is cheap insurance.

Rick
"MAJIC"
2014 2SS/RS.

Last edited by Majic; 12-30-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:28 AM   #1394
acatlover13
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro IOM/IO
Send a message via AIM to acatlover13 Send a message via Skype™ to acatlover13
I will give everyone details and additional info regarding the All Florida meet at the January ECC meet.
acatlover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #1395
Majic
Majic

OKEY DOKEY...gonna try to fit that in

Rick
"MAJIC"
2014 2SS/RS.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #1396
Majic
Majic

There is one other little "gotcha" regarding oils...there are many very informative articles on the Web...google dexos. 2011 GM vehicles and up REQUIRE the dexos label. If an engine issue can be traced to use of a non-dexos oil your warranty can be voided. Before the GM bashing starts....Ford has their own standard and will do the same thing.

ALSO.....read your owner's manual.....

Rick
"MAJIC"
2014 2SS/RS.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #1397
UFN Wish

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Yeah I haven even had time to read my owners manual. I prefer to change my own oil but didn't have time this time to do it. I will in future do it myself. I like to get to know my babies. Since she is all I have. I am officially a lesbian!! LOL Not really but my car is a girl and I am single so why not!! I am hoping to meet with everyone in a few weeks!! Sugar Bowl Bound Monday and BCS the Following Monday!! Busy girl!
UFN Wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #1398
ducatisl
Emerald Coast Camaros

Location: Fort Walton Beach...surrounded by da** pickup trucks I can't see around!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFN Wish View Post
...Since she is all I have. I am officially a lesbian!! LOL Not really but my car is a girl...
What a coincidence, I think Rick and I are lesbians, too!
Procharged F1A-94 on a 416 LSA block, Callies/Manley/Scat/Melling/Cloyes/ARP/Ferrea/Landspeed/Hi-Ram/FIC/Tick/Alky/ Strange/QA1/DSS/BMR/RPS/Tilton/GZM/Fore/AEM/ATi/JGS etc., built/tuned by me and Innovative Street Technologies
Old 12-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #1399
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatisl View Post
What a coincidence, I think Rick and I are lesbians, too!
Old 12-30-2011, 12:15 PM   #1400
ducatisl
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldman View Post
..it's a..um...figure-of-speech