Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #15
San2cci

Drives: 2013 silver ice metallic ZL1
How is the LS different from the LT? (I know the differences in visual aspects, etc) Or are you stating the V6 in general is designed for MPG not performance
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #16
Lance455

Drives: 2012 Camaro M6 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by San2cci View Post
How is the LS different from the LT? (I know the differences in visual aspects, etc) Or are you stating the V6 in general is designed for MPG not performance

The 2ls has a different gear in it compare to the 1ls and the LTs models 3.27 vs 2.92 which gives a slightly better mpg rating for it but also a slower quarter mile time.
Lance455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #17
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance455 View Post
The 2ls has a different gear in it compare to the 1ls and the LTs models 3.27 vs 2.92 which gives a slightly better mpg rating for it but also a slower quarter mile time.

Learn something new everyday. Thanks C5

OP, search around the site you will see a tune is not needed but more of an opinion. Some people like their tune some people hate it. I prefer to run without the a tune.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #18
Lance455

Drives: 2012 Camaro M6 2LT
just to be clear the 1ls and LTs got the 3.27 and the 2ls is the 2.92 to save confusion for later lol.
Lance455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #19
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fullgarage View Post
Better yet how does replacing the exhaust in a LS vs an RS not gain much

With the speed limiting tuned out, what do you project is the top speed of an LS vs RS?
I'll get this one. Once again... "RS" is not a model of Camaro. It is a TRIM PACKAGE and nothing more. It consists of body colored roof ditches, custom wheels, tinted tail lights, RS badges, etc. Strictly an appearance package - no performance enhancements.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #20
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
You won't gain all that much, the 2LS is designed for MPG ... But if it makes you feel better, others have done it as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RA1987 View Post
^^^this

Save your hard earned money for a supercharger or move up to an SS. Spend your money wisely.
Whether it's the 2LS or any other V6, is irrelevant. Performance gains from bolt-on mods will be the same. Yes, the baseline starting point may be slightly different for the 2LS, but the gains will be the same, WRT horsepower.

And if your advice to V6 owners is that bolt on mods are a waste of money, you're a troll.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #21
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Gee do you even know if he has an A6 or M6, the A6 has more limitations than the M6 ...
It's a 2LS. By definition it's an A6.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
Old 08-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #22
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by San2cci View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel25 View Post
Learn something new everyday. Thanks C5
This thread may answer any questions you have about the differences between the 2LS and the other V6 Camaros: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307690
Old 08-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #23
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
This thread may answer any questions you have about the differences between the 2LS and the other V6 Camaros: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307690
Great write up
Old 08-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #24
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
well, speaking from experience, I had a 2010 LS, did every single bolt-on mod available for it and some suspension. and I would say every single bolt-on was a waste of money. lol most was all good for sound. I couldn't go any faster than 15.2 1/4 mile at the local track in las vegas, with a manual. granted the DA sucked all the time, and they didn't prep the track. it was just a slow track for everyone. a bunch of stock SS's couldn't break into the 13's. i cut down to 13.8 1/4mile with nitrous.

so, if I had to do it all over again, I would save my money from the small mods, and buy nitrous...or SC/TC.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #25
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Not sure if the V6 auto is similar to the V8 auto, but the V8 really benefits from a tune. Sure, it helps get the most out of the mods, but another big part of it is the tranny tune. The tranny tune really makes a difference in how the car feels and drives.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #26
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcamaro View Post
Is it worth modding my V6 camaro even if I don't put a tune on it?
I was going to install a CAI, performance tires, and an exhaust system but I don't know which one i want to get yet. I'm going to tune it eventually but after my warranty is over. Is it worth modding now or should I just wait until I'm ready to tune it?
IMO, it's absolutely worth modding your car. Of the three mods you listed, only the CAI will affect engine performance. Other than horsepower, some of the mods actually affect throttle response, too.

The exhaust system MAY, depending on what you're talking about. If you go as far as high-flow cats (HFCs), you may gain a slight performance increase, but otherwise cat-back and axle-back exhaust on these cars will only reduce weight and add sound. You can't do headers on your car, in case you didn't know.

You could do CAI and a ported TB, and gain some power and throttle response without needing a tune. The CAI is worth it for the sound alone, IMO. I love my Roto-Fab.

RacnJsn95 is working on some other engine mods, too, that may be promising.

Check out the V6 sections, and you'll see plenty of people who've modded their V6s, and are enjoying the results. You're never going to get V8 power or sound, but there are gains to be had, and it's fun to do.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #27
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
well, speaking from experience, I had a 2010 LS, did every single bolt-on mod available for it and some suspension. and I would say every single bolt-on was a waste of money. lol most was all good for sound. I couldn't go any faster than 15.2 1/4 mile at the local track in las vegas, with a manual. granted the DA sucked all the time, and they didn't prep the track. it was just a slow track for everyone. a bunch of stock SS's couldn't break into the 13's. i cut down to 13.8 1/4mile with nitrous.

so, if I had to do it all over again, I would save my money from the small mods, and buy nitrous...or SC/TC.
Agree. Doing bolt-ons was fun, but to be totally honest, the before and after wasn't a drastic difference. Yeah, the car sounded better, and maybe felt a little peppier, but if you want mods you can truly feel, you have to go big, e.g. blower, cam, internal engine mods, nitrous.

Also, gears make a hell of a difference and they were one of my favorite mods. I think this is kind of cost prohibitive on the V6 though, since a lot of parts need replaced. I guess it would also defeat the purpose of buying the LS to begin with, since it was designed for better MPGs.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #28
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post

I think the answer depends on what you're looking for and what your goals are. For someone like you who is looking to improve their drag times, increasing RWHP by 10% with bolt-ons and a tune won't be enough.

For others, it will.

Tags
cai, mod, tune